most money you spent on a record you didnt know?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
what's the biggest chance you've taken? i know i've dropped $20 on a few records i was clueless on a couple times, and they turned out to be pretty good. dont remember which ones though.and i'm talking records you did not hear once before buying them, i mean you see something cool, take a chance, the first time you listen is at home.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Define "didn't know". I mean, I've spent quite a bit on records I'd never heard but knew of and was somewhat certain I'd like.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i mean the only knowledge of it is your own intuition. a record youve never heard, heard of, or seen before, ever.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OK, probably $50ish then.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Probably $30. In reference to the other thread I'm not trying to come off saying it's a bad idea, just probably not a great one if you're just starting out and don't know how to orient yourself by way of labels, covers, years, etc.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Without having heard something, I have probably dropped at least $100 on records. But its often with pretty good information.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Without having heard something, I have probably dropped at least $100 on records. But its often with pretty good information.

Oh yeah, I guess I should differentiate - I was talking more about buying records you haven't heard, but also don't really know anything about - i.e., people haven't recommended them to you, haven't heard the artist before.

I mean, I just bought a record for $70 that I've never actually heard, but know the artist and label's output.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    200 bucks on some from Japan!!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm comfortable enough with my knowledge of local funk/soul 45s to take chances without really sweating it too much. I'm more hesitatnt to bid on unknowns from unfamiliar cities though, as it's tough to tell the 45s that are legitimately rare from the ones that may just be under the radar.

I think the most I've ever dropped without listening was around $75.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Maybe like $20, if it just looked ridiculous, but depends... changes for stuff I heard before or things and regions im more familiar with...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i can think of one record in particular that I was completely in the dark about that I dropped $100 on...that's probably not the most, but it's the most I can think of.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    record show in france: couldn't listen to the record. spent 60 euros. looked great... listened to it... liked it a lot... told freinds about it... traded it with someone... found out it was worth 300 later on

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I spent $130 on Jose Briamonte's Sambeco, based only in other people's opinion.
    After the first listening I concluded it's worthy only 20% of that value.
    Living and learning to not believe the hype, I'd said.

Definitely, not

Peace

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I bought Four Below Zero 'ESP' on a 12 several years ago for like $20 from a list
    Most enjoyment I ever got on taking a chance.

On the other hand I would take maybe $40 of unknown (to me) funk 45s from a market stall box, get em home and be dismayed at the crap I'd bought.

And now they are sought after.... my advice is don't worry about dropping cash, these things will always find someone to love them one day....probably

Buying labels is more dangerous.
    I had David Baptiste on Instant, loved it.
    Next week same label: Chris Kenner.Got to be good, right?

I had a shit-fit at home when I played that piece of junk. Never again do i take a chance on labels.

• $200 on Lialeh in 1996. does knowing Bernard count though I didn't know the record existed until it was offered to me?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I had a shit-fit at home when I played that piece of junk. Never again do i take a chance on labels.

I agree that you shouldn't always buy by label, especially if you're dropping mad $$$, but...exactly what's Baptiste got that Kenner ain't got?

I mean, I could understand it if it were a white pop act on a black R&B label, but both men are New Orleans R&B artists. Whether you like him or not, Kenner (who was Instant Records' biggest-selling artist, BTW) probably wasn't really that different from Baptiste. Not trying to be funny, but is one record funkier than the other? Or maybe you just caught Kenner on a bad day?

Either way, I'd like to know exactly which records by Baptiste and Kenner you found...

• $50 in 2002

It was for Steve Smith and the Soul Champions "Ugly Faced Woman" on Sock-It, from Greg Tormo... I mean with that band name, song title and label name, and reputable dealer how could it not be a sound buy? I really dig it and it sounds like every bit of a $50 record. It is the only time I spent that kind of money on something I didnt know, and since I havent done it since I guess I quit while I was ahead...

Oh I did buy a terd of an African 45 offa someone on this board(cant remember as it was about 5 or 6 years ago) for $25 dollars...it was on Editions Makossa, so I thought it would be good...but it was some NPR Putomayo listening hour crap, but it was ok as I sold it to someone on another board for more than I paid....like a profitable fruit cake...

• Buying labels is more dangerous.

I agree that you shouldn't always buy by label, especially if you're dropping mad $$$, but...exactly what's Baptiste got that Kenner ain't got?

I mean, I could understand it if it were a white pop act on a black R&B label, but both men are New Orleans R&B artists. Whether you like him or not, Kenner (who was Instant Records' biggest-selling artist, BTW) probably wasn't really that different from Baptiste. Not trying to be funny, but is one record funkier than the other? Or maybe you just caught Kenner on a bad day?

Either way, I'd like to know exactly which records by Baptiste and Kenner you found...

David Batiste & the Gladiators only had one 45 on Instant, 'Funky Soul'.

If you're collecting funk (edit: on Instant), there's a pretty clear dividing line at the 3300 catalog number, before which you can be getting anything from old school R&B to upbeat soul, and after which the likelihood of funk (of which there are a couple of Kenner sides) is pretty high.
    If you're buying by label, you're as likely to grab a Chick Carbo or Allen Collay side from 1962 as you are a David Batiste, Lee Bates or later Huey Smith side from 1968 onward.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

from Greg Tormo...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

David Batiste & the Gladiators only had one 45 on Instant, 'Funky Soul'.

If you're collecting funk (edit: on Instant), there's a pretty clear dividing line at the 3300 catalog number, before which you can be getting anything from old school R&B to upbeat soul, and after which the likelihood of funk (of which there are a couple of Kenner sides) is pretty high.
    If you're buying by label, you're as likely to grab a Chick Carbo or Allen Collay side from 1962 as you are a David Batiste, Lee Bates or later Huey Smith side from 1968 onward.

yep the batiste is funky soul, parts 1 and 2 if i remember. Huge Hammond breakdown on that.
    The Chris Kenner reminded me of nothing more than some horrible trad jazz band, I just thought it stank. Heven't played for many years, must have a listen tonight. Maybe doing it a disservice.
    BTW, not sure black/white has anything to do with it, at least hope not. And also not sure if biggest selling artist is a drop of knowledge, or it means he's good?
    Pls to explain...

• from Greg Tormo...

It's never a comforting feeling to run into him at a record show you're not expecting to see ANYONE and watch him pull gem after gem only to have him sell it to you at the end of the day. Thank god he's a top notch dude and doesn't tax semi-regulars too hard.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    and i'm talking records you did not hear once before buying them, i mean you see something cool, take a chance, the first time you listen is at home.

Does eBay count? Or is that too much prior information to take a chance? Audio samples were not available.
    A long time ago on eBay I took a chance and dropped $60+ on a mint copy Johnny Lytle's The Loop LP. Yeah, not that rare a record, but as it turned out the guy who sold it to me was none other than the Secret Chimp.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

the batiste is funky soul, parts 1 and 2 if i remember. Huge Hammond breakdown on that.
    The Chris Kenner reminded me of nothing more than some horrible trad jazz band, I just thought it stank. Heven't played for many years, must have a listen tonight. Maybe doing it a disservice.
    BTW, not sure black/white has anything to do with it, at least hope not.

Well, this is what I meant...we were talking about collecting by labels. I've met at least one person who accidentally bought a King country & western 45 thinking it would sound like James Brown. Or they'll buy a Toddlin' Town single thinking it's stomp-down soul like they usually put out and it turns out to be one of their white rock bands. We've all done it; when I hear somebody caution against buying by label, nine times out of ten it's something like that. But since Batiste and Kenner seem to have more in common musically (even though Batiste is funkier), I didn't think the difference would be that drastic.

And also not sure if biggest selling artist is a drop of knowledge, or it means he's good?

Actually, that was just a random knowledge drop. I like him, myself, but that's just my opinion. I'm not familiar with his funk sides that F16 mentioned; just about everything I've heard on him is straight NOLA soul/R&B. The closest to funk I've heard on Kenner is "Fumigate Funky Broadway""Wind The Clock," which is evidently the same tune on both sides with different lyrics.

• karen beth based off anthony pearsons write up comes to mind

what a turd

balanced out by finding 5 sealed ones at a flea market that i sold for five a piece.