yuppie ideas for butchering your expedit

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
if you upgraded your record shelves to something less crappy than the expedit, the new issue of Ready Made mag has somewhat low budget recipes to recycle your expedit if you want. i subscribe and when i saw this i thought of soulstrut.ieven took pictures of a magazine for the internetcredenzawall displaycoffee table with secret doors

Comments

• reminds me of a skit on a local comedy show here involving IKEA & their crappy instructions - its real amusing, starts at about the 40 second mark ...

• wall display

if you were to fill this with records do you think it would be too weight for the wall?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

wall display

if you were to fill this with records do you think it would be too weight for the wall?

You have to get some anchors & brackets for that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you were handy enough to do some of this stuff with an old expedit, couldn't you just do it for cheaper buying real wood?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    something less crappy than the expedit

why are people under the impression expedits are crappy? ive assembled and dis-assembled mine 4 times, and its still as solid as day one, which is pretty damn solid.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    something less crappy than the expedit

why are people under the impression expedits are crappy? ive assembled and dis-assembled mine 4 times, and its still as solid as day one, which is pretty damn solid.

I busted mine on the way home from ikea, smashed the corner in. I was surprised to see what they looked like inside. The a couple of mm of the woodlike outer covering, then a couple of mm of some kinda chip board, then cardboard spacers to stop it sagging. And thats it. Pretty shitty.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Expedits are the cheapest best looking way to store your records. You could not build a shelving unit w/ similar qualities for cheaper. as for the ready made stuff, the credenza is the only thing that isn't laughable, I especially like the exposed particle board ends on the "coffe table"

• coffee table with secret doors

• Expedits are the cheapest best looking way to store your records. You could not build a shelving unit w/ similar qualities for cheaper. as for the ready made stuff, the credenza is the only thing that isn't laughable, I especially like the exposed particle board ends on the "coffe table"

those ends are probably offgassing formaldehyde into your cup of java

i would never cut my expedit down. i need four more of them shits

where krusty at?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    If you were handy enough to do some of this stuff with an old expedit, couldn't you just do it for cheaper buying real wood?

true, but i think if you were naturally handy you probably wouldn't pick up this magazine.

• If you were handy enough to do some of this stuff with an old expedit, couldn't you just do it for cheaper buying real wood?

true, but i think if you were naturally handy you probably wouldn't pick up this magazine.

is this mag kind of a less DIY version of Make? I thinks thats the one I saw where dude converted an old busted 40s radio into a turntable/ripping unit/ipod dock w/ a touch screen and a mac mini. nice.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    those ends are probably offgassing formaldehyde into your cup of java

Very true!
    I remember the inside of the Expedit walls being filled with sawdust & lord knows what.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

is this mag kind of a less DIY version of Make? I thinks thats the one I saw where dude converted an old busted 40s radio into a turntable/ripping unit/ipod dock w/ a touch screen and a mac mini. nice.

My wife loves Ready Made. It's pretty DIY, but it's more focused around making nifty housewares and crafty-type stuff out of other shit you might have around. Hence the Expedit article. If you were handy, you could build the shit from scratch. Ready Made assumes you have an Expedit laying around and shows what you can do with it.

I'm not handy at all, so I don't fuck with any of that shit. My wife likes to knit and sew, so she reads it for all the fabric/textile ideas they have.

i've never picked up Make so i'm not sure how it compares. the projects they featured used to be cheaper and more recycle focused and then in the last 2 years all the projects became more elaborate and expensive. i've subscribed for a few years and honestly the only thing i made from the magazine was this slide lamp shade which was really cheap to make

i still like looking at it for ideas, but i'm too lazy to execute.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Definitely. If it's not music-related, I'm not really into doing things that require a lot of effort. So when I flip through Ready Made I'm always like "I would buy that if I found it in a store" or "I'd like to have someone make that for me." Not the spirit that the makers of the magazine had in mind, surely.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Definitely.

Definitely

• If you were handy enough to do some of this stuff with an old expedit, couldn't you just do it for cheaper buying real wood?

My wife loves Ready Made. It's pretty DIY, but it's more focused around making nifty housewares and crafty-type stuff out of other shit you might have around. Hence the Expedit article. If you were handy, you could build the shit from scratch. Ready Made assumes you have an Expedit laying around and shows what you can do with it.

I'm not handy at all, so I don't fuck with any of that shit. My wife likes to knit and sew, so she reads it for all the fabric/textile ideas they have.

I guess is relatively diy, but from pre-made shtuff. From what I recall, make was more of a gadgeteer's (sp?) ting, making things from raw scraps and broken parts as opposed to cutting apart perfectly good furniture.

They did an article that I still really want to try about "old school file sharing". Basically making a silicone mold of a record, then casting in a two part plastic epoxy to make duplicates. My buddy still has the rag with that article in it and aside from expense, microwave has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm (and need) for such an endeavor. Though twould be nice to cast some dupes of styrene jawns for cutting.

• What a bright idea!

Sorry, that one was too easy. Seriously though, it looks good. And with what ive seen of your photographic prowess, its prolly got some cool shots in there.

A project I have been wanting to try is building a dj console that would break down flat and assemble without tools, kinda lincoln log style. I have a small loft above my garage (moon room what!) with pretty tight acess, so modular construction would be noice. If anyone in the bay needs something like that, let me know, I would love to build it just to do it, you supply the wood (yeah yeah yeah, haha). Anyone interested, holler on the pm and we could work out sizing, styling etc. for your needs, I aint tryin to cake up on this.

is MAKE magazine worth checking out for a lazy ass like myself?

A project I have been wanting to try is building a dj console that would break down flat and assemble without tools, kinda lincoln log style. I have a small loft above my garage (moon room what!) with pretty tight acess, so modular construction would be noice.

that sounds fresh! good luck with that

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You could try the blog for free

http://blog.makezine.com/

• I still don't get why you'd want to chop up an expedit in the first place? All you're doing is making cheap-looking furniture from cheap furniture...

Restoring old stuff is way more rewarding than this.

• sergserg 682 Posts

A project I have been wanting to try is building a dj console that would break down flat and assemble without tools, kinda lincoln log style. I have a small loft above my garage (moon room what!) with pretty tight acess, so modular construction would be noice.

make is dope, it's more technical than readymade. Like they'll have more things involving wiring and simply circuitry. I like the mag but I'm get lazy with projects. They had this alarm clock joint that was operated with a nintendo power gun, I still want to make that shit.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

make is the only one I've seen in this realm and it is awesome. electronics/solder oriented though like was stated, but not requiring too much expertise. dvd projector from non operational computer monitor?