::: NZ, Tokyo & HK photos

hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
So I took some holidays and hit up New Zealand, Tokyo and Hong Kong over the past five weeks. Assorted pictures are below - sizing was bit of a pain but I hope they come up allright.The records were from Tokyo, where there have to be more stores than anywhere else. I wasn't balling it by any means, most of those pictured came out of sale bins but I was pretty happy with what I copped. The band photos are of Osaka Monaurail, who were pretty good but not quite as smoking as some other newer acts I've seen.A quick shoutout to dudes like Sheep, Chan, Cardova & others who have posted up info on Japan in the past - I found it all real usefulAll up the trip was dope!

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    wow dude, nice pics...

FUCK PC!!!!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

FUCK PC!!!!

FUCK PC!!!!

FUCK PC!!!!

FUCK PC!!!!

FUCK PC!!!!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That's dope Hugh - I'm really gonna have to peel my self away from my room and get os asap.

Is that 'Fuck PC' sign as big as I think it is?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

feelin this......I want some roasted pork right now!

• Is that 'Fuck PC' sign as big as I think it is?
    Ha! I saw that the other day as well, and thought about posting it up.
    The funny thing is, I was at a bar chatting with a guy who works there and he said that turntables aren't selling at all these days. He said they're selling a lot of serat0 though.

• damn dude, looks like you got some killer Reggae pieces. Damn, how much money did you bring for records? I know those guys are beyond serious with the Jamaican records.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    nice pics bro, looks like you survived the asian leg of your trip ok.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    is that the 'morning broadway' 45 on jazzman? I been trying to find that ever since I traded my KPM with that on it!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hugh,

Great pics! I'm glad you had a nice time. Seeing those pictures really makes me miss Japan and HK. I need to plan a trip.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Great pics!

• damn dude, looks like you got some killer Reggae pieces. Damn, how much money did you bring for records? I know those guys are beyond serious with the Jamaican records.

most of them seem to be early 80s re's - I was getting them around 500-800 yen each, mostly from the discount bins in Disc Union Shibuya .. the 3LP Trojan box set was 1000 yen

I spent about $200 Aust on records all up, and there are another grip of records, including 12's by Nice & Smooth and ODB, that Patti Jo 'Make you believe' re-edit 12 (which at 1500 yen was the pricest record I got), a UBB record and a re of the Coffey soundtrack which I didn't bother taking a pic of. Dropped around a G on clothes & ended up buying another suitcase to fit all that shit in!

Kinetic - that is indeed the Keith Mansfield / Alan Moorhouse (JM 007) 45 with Soul Skimmer and Morning Broadway

I can post a list of the reggae 7's later on - they were mostly from Jammers Records in Shibuya (pictured above) - Double H there was a top bloke & a visit to his store is well recommended. Might upload one of his radio shows which he gave me on CD-R, cause the tunes are killer!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    who's the band and where are they playin?

• who's the band and where are they playin?

The band photos are of Osaka Monaurail, who were pretty good but not quite as smoking as some other newer acts I've seen.

They were at Club Asia, up on Love Hotel hill in Shibuya. The main weakness was that drummer was a bit lacking - if you see the Bamboo's play Danny is straight slaughtering the drums each and every time .. and before someone asks, not that many babes at the funk nights, apparently they're all at the reggae gigs

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    PIHA!!!

Awww, you're making me homesick man.

My last day in NZ: me and a group of mates headed up to Piha, swam at the waterfall, smoked buds, fished, ate and slept on the beach.

Piha is a great spot.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    What up Hugh.Nice pics. I really need to get to japan. And your NZ pics make me miss my time spent there as well.