Antipop Consortium

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Let the hating commence. I like(d) these guys -- interesting stories (few rhymes though), decent beats. I felt like they never quite lived up to their potential, but they put out some nice cuts. One of them, "Bubbles," could even work in the club (as an instrumental). I was into what I would call the "blip-hop" subgenre right around the turn of the century -- Funkstorung, Prefuse 73, Antipop -- folks inspired just as much by Timbaland as Aphex Twin. Most of that stuff sounds pretty dated now, but felt so right at the time. I gave Beans solo albums a twirl but they never stuck, although I did see him play a cool concert once with a drummer from Tortoise, Bobby Cohn (sp?) on guitar, and Beans on vocals and keys.

Comments

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    tragic epilogue is a winner in my books
    sayyid is fam. that nigga is nice on the mic
    he came to a radio show i had a couple years ago and spit some hot shit for a couple hours. had a couple writtens of some new joints he was workin on but mostly just freestyled. everyone at the station was buggin

• Yeah, I checked em out for a lil bit, they were alright. "Bubbles" is a good track. Personally, my favorite was "Nude Paper".

Beans is cool people, I kicked it with him for a bit at Other Music after a Gary Wilson in-store performance.

Wonder what awful day jobs they're working nowadays.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Is the Beans in this group the same one on Rocafella?

• Is the Beans in this group the same one on Rocafella?

hahahaha...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Let the hating commence.

I like(d) these guys -- interesting stories (few rhymes though), decent beats.

ghostlawns, and particularly the lfo mix is a personal fav and still gets a play in the club...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I celebrate thier entire catalog.

That APC VS Matthew Shipp Lp is

I also enjoy Beans solo stuff and that Airborne Audio LP, too.

Funny you shoud bring this up, as there is some commercial running latley on TV that features asome dudes rappgin that sound an awful lot like APC.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

he came to a radio show i had a couple years ago and spit some hot shit for a couple hours. had a couple writtens of some new joints he was workin on but mostly just freestyled. everyone at the station was buggin

YES, i had one of the original Airborn Audio CD-R promos that had a lot of Sayyid over some classic beats. shit was nice. I played the CD until it flaked up and i haven't been able to find it again.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

YES, i had one of the original Airborn Audio CD-R promos that had a lot of Sayyid over some classic beats. shit was nice. I played the CD until it flaked up and i haven't been able to find it again.

ill see if my boy still has a copy of that
    if so ill post it
    i think that was the one where they rhymed on the cream track and i think in the club as well