leaked gnarls barkley

dmacdmac 472 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
anyone heard it? I am expecting more of the same. anyone heard it?plaese to post link.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I've heard a couple of tracks. If they're any measure of the album as a whole, it sounds like it's going to be very different from the last record - more obviously psych-influenced.

• Awful

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Sorry - dunno what happened but it was working before.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    more obviously psych-influenced.

psych? yawn. how effin' predictable.
    how about pillaging a less-trendoid genre?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Right. They should go for Tuvan throat singing, because that has a lot of significance in the world, and it offers a much broader sample bank.

Boo.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Only trendy to record geeks and hipstremo's, not becky and chad.
    Don't worry, you'll still have time to find something to hate when the record comes out.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    they need to do some ringtone joints!

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Only trendy to record geeks and hipstremo's, not becky and chad.
    Don't worry, you'll still have time to find something to hate when the record comes out.

True, there's always something to hate. Knowing that helps me sleep at night.

But I am sure I'll find it in my own heavy rotation by the time it comes out.
    Regardless of whether Becky & Chad are hip to psych samples, I would like to think that hipstremo record geek Danger Mouse would stay far ahead of the curve. His commercial appeal is well-established. He *could* turn throat singer samples into a chart-topping hit.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    True, there's always something to hate. Knowing that helps me sleep at night.

OK, just heard it. Not as psych-y as I'd imagined. Stylistically similar to Smiley Faces, IMO. Production is really intricate, keeps changing directions, which is cool. Interested to see how much Becky & Chad like it if it is indeed the lead single.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this track sounds a lot different - faster, more frenetic, etc - than the rest of the album.

the album is very diverse (shocker) and it sounds great. its got pretty slow soulful burners, one great track thats got cee-lo doing a garage rock thing over a phil spectorish beat. i wasn't a big fan of st elsewhere but there were at least 5 songs on this i really enjoyed during the first couple listens... and i'm fiending to get my ears on them again.

• man this reminds. i'm actually looking forward to his album with jack splash and his other joint with Jazze Pha

yeah i said it. Happy hour was a smoothed out club banger and the one track I have with Jack Splash is Frickin' dope.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    this track sounds a lot different - faster, more frenetic, etc - than the rest of the album.

the album is very diverse (shocker) and it sounds great. its got pretty slow soulful burners, one great track thats got cee-lo doing a garage rock thing over a phil spectorish beat. i wasn't a big fan of st elsewhere but there were at least 5 songs on this i really enjoyed during the first couple listens... and i'm fiending to get my ears on them again.

so you've heard the new album? is there a release date?

i'm one of the very few people i know that enjoyed the st. elsewhere album. cee-lo be !

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    the one track I have with Jack Splash is Frickin' dope.

Is that the "Gangster Boogie" track that appeared on the Rub's Northern Exposure mix? Yeah, that was some hot s**t. Did that track ever see a legit [vinyl] release?
    And when is Plant Life dropping more ish?

so you've heard the new album? is there a release date?

yeah i really enjoyed it
    maybe april

• the one track I have with Jack Splash is Frickin' dope.

Is that the "Gangster Boogie" track that appeared on the Rub's Northern Exposure mix? Yeah, that was some hot s**t. Did that track ever see a legit [vinyl] release?
    And when is Plant Life dropping more ish?

Naw, this was a track simple called "untitled/hearattack". Real dope. Industry insideurs told me Jack Splash, the singer of Plant Life, is signed to Motown now. What that means is that most likely he'll be dropped or poorly pushed.