Sam Sever

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
is he SS approved? Not like I care, but I was recording all my 3rd Bass/Downtown Science 12"s this week and dude was hella fresh, and kinda slept on I felt. Never realized he did "Spontaneous" for LONS.

Comments

• kubkub 46 Posts
    definetly appreciated.
    heater beats! (that a.d.o.r. remix of his is just )
    very humble and nice guy.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I was actually just checking out his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/samsever

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    is he SS approved? Not like I care, but I was recording all my 3rd Bass/Downtown Science 12"s this week and dude was hella fresh, and kinda slept on I felt. Never realized he did "Spontaneous" for LONS.

Totally slept on. Dude had some heat. I never checked out the Downtown Science shit (wasn't the MC's name Bosco or something?) but all the 3rd Bass shit is nice. mad underrated in the pantheon of producers.

I too, didn't realize that he did "Spontaneous." I know I scanned the liner notes to that joint when I got it, but back in 1993 the name Sam Sever wouldn't have meant much to me.

• I have a Ms. Melody 12" he produced and the beat is

• is he SS approved? Not like I care, but I was recording all my 3rd Bass/Downtown Science 12"s this week and dude was hella fresh, and kinda slept on I felt. Never realized he did "Spontaneous" for LONS.

Totally slept on. Dude had some heat. I never checked out the Downtown Science shit (wasn't the MC's name Bosco or something?) but all the 3rd Bass shit is nice. mad underrated in the pantheon of producers.

I too, didn't realize that he did "Spontaneous." I know I scanned the liner notes to that joint when I got it, but back in 1993 the name Sam Sever wouldn't have meant much to me.

Oh man! The DS album is . And MC's name was Boscoe Money. It was interesting because that album was on ALOT of top 10 lists for that year, but got overshadowed by Mecca And The Soul Brother.

I was checking his discography and he did a lot of stuff: Nikki D, and "Intergalactic" remix, and this thread is making me wish I had dug out his "What's That Sound" 12" that came out on MoWax from my storage.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    He gets big-time approval from me. Obviously, the 3rd Bass and Downtown Science stuff is great, but I also read (I think in a Dante Ross interview) that he did a bunch of the drum programming on the old Mantronix records, which is pretty

Dude made some great beats.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mad underrated in the pantheon of producers

Where should he place?

could somebody re-up Room To Breathe for me.

• Is this the same dude that had a 12" or two on Mo'Wax?

• kubkub 46 Posts

the mc's name is bosco money, check his solo effort aswell if you can find a copy.
    well worth it. it's called "Secret Agent"

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Is this the same dude that had a 12" or two on Mo'Wax?

Yes, Sam Sever & The Raiders of The Lost Art. He also had a single or two on Big Beat.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Is this the same dude that had a 12" or two on Mo'Wax?

yes, he has two releases, although his second ('zone alone') remains unreleased. Ironically, it exsists in three different test-pressings, but all of which are near impossible to find.

MW031 - 'whats that sound?' 12"

MW050 - 'zone alone' 12"

• Is this the same dude that had a 12" or two on Mo'Wax?

yes, he has two releases, although his second ('zone alone') remains unreleased. Ironically, it exsists in three different test-pressings, but all of which are near impossible to find.

MW050 - 'zone alone' 12"

interesting about that 2nd MoWax single, didn't know about that one.

Also interesting: Bosco Money appears on Kurious' "Nikole" off the "Constipated Monkey" lp.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Bosco Money was kinda weak as an emcee, I always thought, but the beats on that Downtown Science album are really adventurous. Dunno if it's especially scarce these days - I haven't seen it around for a long time - but if you like Sam Sever's shit generally, then it's probably worth copping for the beats alone if you happen upon it.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Also interesting: Bosco Money appears on Kurious' "Nikole" off the "Constipated Monkey" lp.

And of further interest: he's now known as Ken Omega, and makes hip-hop songs about UFO's.

But yeah, Sam Sever is great. The Downtown Science album has aged well for a hip-hop album that's 17 years old.

• Sam's the man - and a good guy to boot! Gets THAT DUDE status from me.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Sam Sever is dude. He did some dope production.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Bosco Money was kinda weak as an emcee, I always thought, but the beats on that Downtown Science album are really adventurous. Dunno if it's especially scarce these days - I haven't seen it around for a long time - but if you like Sam Sever's shit generally, then it's probably worth copping for the beats alone if you happen upon it.

I actually kinda liked Bosco, but I'll admit that he was really inconsistent and sadly prone to throwing out some horribly cornball lines. But when he was really focused, he could come off. "Room to Breathe," for example. (If nobody else has, I'll up this song when I get home from work.)

I copped a three-song single that I guess was off that Secret Agent album...two songs were but one of them was hittin' pretty hard.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    He gets big-time approval from me. Obviously, the 3rd Bass and Downtown Science stuff is great, but I also read (I think in a Dante Ross interview) that he did a bunch of the drum programming on the old Mantronix records, which is pretty

i used to DJ a night sam hosted at Don Hill's a few years back and he was a really nice, chill guy... would talk about production and back in the day shit all night if you wanted to... silly shit, like how he sampled depeche mode for a 3rd Bass song... he told me he did the drum programming on ALOT of mantronix stuff... they were friends and even roommates for a while and Mantronik would throw him a little cash to program some drums... he said that on Latoya, he is playing the drum machine live while dmx is beatboxing... kinda neat... his new stuff is more on an everlast vibe, but he does it well... the beats on Donwtown Science are def ahead of their time, they sound like stuff the Automator would do quite a few years later...

• where's the interview oliver did where dante ross clowned sever and hard 2 obtain?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Sam was/is the shit. He was sampling a lot of rock records during his more prolific era 1988-92 that people just weren't messing with. From Pink Floyd to 70's AM radio stuff, he really killed it. He's working on a new album that I'm interested in hearing as well.

...and I have a rip of his second unreleased Mo'Wax 12". I'll try to up.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Sam Sever has done some sick production over the years. He definitely took hip-hop production to that next era. What, no love for "Johnny the Fox" by Tricky Tee?

Early Sam Sever production on the Roland 909

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Is the Tricky Tee material his earliest credit (1986)?

• nice! Thanks for this and the "What's That Sound" uploads.

here's the DS full-length:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xj70zt

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Is the Tricky Tee material his earliest credit (1986)?
    He also did some co-production on Raising Hell that same year. I think he did the beat for Is It Live.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

nice! Thanks for this and the "What's That Sound" uploads.

here's the DS full-length:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xj70zt

thanks a lot for this an ereyone that uploaded and for an interesting read...

i was not in the knowing