SXSW 2008 - AUSTIN - WHO'S GOING?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Don't start none won't be none."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'll have to cockpunch someone so he can be there in spirit.

So should I be prepared to walk around Austin all week covering my jawns?

You're all good...for a discount at the store

• hooray! i'm going for the first time this year too!!!

what will the weather be like?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Haha.

I'll be there, doing all sorts of events for hipsters and non-hipsters alike.

I'll also be in Austin this Saturday: first spinning Black Power Anthems at The Parish for the Brand Nubian show, and afterwards on the late night spinning cocaine-booty jams for hipsters that don't like hip-hop at Beauty Bar.

I didn't even realize you were spinning the Brand Nubian show here.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    hooray! i'm going for the first time this year too!!!

what will the weather be like?

I've heard this saying, "If you don't like the weather in Austin, just wait 15 minutes and it will change".

The weather lately has been 40 degrees at night to the mid 60's and high 70's during the day. Some days you'll have to wear a jacket then the next you'll be wearing shorts. You just never know.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=austin%2C+tx

• I'm going, first time...

false alarm...I can't make it due to sounding poor...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm going, first time...

Nonononononononono we need to start a fund for you right here and right now.

I'll set it off and put $20 on it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    just found out very last-minute that the $$$ came together for my job to send me to the Film Fest to scout films for our fest... so I'll be in Austin, most likely Friday Mar 6 - Thurs Mar 13.

Been to the music fest once before, this is my first time for the film section.

Anyone have any vegetarian and/or int'l food recommendations, pls post here or link me to threads that have dealt with this in the past...

And anyone who's been following the films showing and has any tips, pls share!!!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    just found out very last-minute that the $$$ came together for my job to send me to the Film Fest to scout films for our fest... so I'll be in Austin, most likely Friday Mar 6 - Thurs Mar 13.

Anyone have any vegetarian and/or int'l food recommendations, pls post here or link me to threads that have dealt with this in the past...

And anyone who's been following the films showing and has any tips, pls share!!!

I know there's some veg Austin thread somewhere but Joe's Coffee on South Congress has the bomb Veg BBQ sandwich. Basically everywhere in that damn city has a serious veg hookup come to think of it. Killer spot on Guadalupe across from UT called Veggie Heaven.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For vegetarians, I always recommend Mother's...

http://www.motherscafeaustin.com/d/5034805_38253.htm

And international in Austin means one of 2 things...Mexican and Cajun.

I know there's some veg Austin thread somewhere but Joe's Coffee on South Congress has the bomb Veg BBQ sandwich. Basically everywhere in that damn city has a serious veg hookup come to think of it. Killer spot on Guadalupe across from UT called Veggie Heaven.

I actually bought a $5 t-shirt from Veggie Heaven last time I was in town... gotta remember to go back.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Austin Vegetarian restaurants and options:

Veggie Heaven is cheap and good and 100% vegetarian food
    1914 Guadalupe St # A
    Austin, TX 78705
    (512) 457-1013

Mother's Cafe is 100% vegetarian food
    4215 Duval St
    Austin, TX 78751
    (512) 451-3994

Player's makes one of the best veggie burgers I've ever had
    300 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
    Austin, TX 78701-1219
    Phone: (512) 478-9299

Madam Mam's Noodles & More has good Pad Thai
    2514 Guadalupe St, Austin - (512) 472-8306
    or
    4514 West Gate Blvd, Austin - (512) 899-8525

Kerbey Lane has some veggie options and is open 24 hours. I love their gingerbread pancakes.
    3704 Kerbey Ln., Austin - (512) 451-1436
    2700 South Lamar Blvd.
    12602 Research Blvd
    2606 Guadalupe St.

Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse & Caf?? has vegetarian and vegan dishes
    1501 South 1st Street
    512-416-1601

Clay Pit has some Indian food options
    1601 Guadalupe St
    Austin, TX 78701
    512-322-5131

Eastside Cafe has Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas, Pesto Ravioli, Artichoke Manicotti
    2113 Manor Road

Magnolia Cafe open 24 hours. American and Mexican.
    2304 Lake Austin Boulevard, at Upson Street
    512-478-8645
    1920 South Congress Avenue
    512-445-0000

Mr Natural - vegetarian store and cafe
    1901 E Cesar Chavez Street, at Chicon
    512-477-5228
    2414A South Lamar Blvd
    Austin, Texas 78704

Tom's Tabooley has good hummus, thai tofu
    2928 Guadalupe
    Austin, TX 78705
    479-7337

Trudy's has some great tex-mex vegetarian options like migas enchiladas and refried black beans. I highly recommend their Mexican Martinis also.
    central location
    409 West 30th Street
    Austin, TX 78705
    Four blocks north of UT Campus
    Phone 512-477-2935

south location
    901-C Little Texas Lane
    Austin, TX 78745
    Phone 512-326-9899

north location
    8820 Burnet Road
    Austin, TX 78758
    Crossroads Shopping Center near Burnet & 183
    Phone 512-454-1474

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I'm going, first time...

Considering I'm the fool who started this thread this sucks big time , but I won't be going this year either..... I don't want to get into the specifics here but it just isn't workable this year. Next year will have to be the one...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm going, first time...

Considering I'm the fool who started this thread this sucks big time , but I won't be going this year either..... I don't want to get into the specifics here but it just isn't workable this year. Next year will have to be the one...

• Yo it looks like I might be heading out for a show on Sunday the 8th.

when and where is everyone here playing?

• Everyone make sure to come through Friends of Sound.

The band schedule is now up.

Rap-wise looks like the big event is going to be Bun B[/b] at Fuze on Wednesday night. So glad to see Gerald G[/b] and Public Offenders[/b] opening up for him in what will surely be a large, boisterous crowd.

Percee P[/b] will be at Habana Annex Backyard Wednesday night.

Really wish Ryno & Slim Gutta[/b] could have been put on that Bun B as well. Instead, they'll be headlining Fuze on Thursday night.

Lifesavas[/b] are at Prague Thursday night.

Del thee Funkee Homosapien[/b] and Dizzee Rascal[/b] will be at the Scoot Inn on Thursday night.

Zion I[/b] will be at Volume Thursday night.

TechN9ne[/b] will surely draw a large crowd at Volume Friday night.

Ice Cube[/b] at Auditorium Shores on Saturday night proves to be interesting.

The Continental Club will not come even close to holding all of the people lining up to see Gary Clark, Jr.[/b] on Saturday night. By way of the new movie Honetdripper, I'm so glad to see my dude breaking beyond the local scene.

Black Mike[/b] will be holding down the Light Bar patio on Saturday night.

Tee Double[/b] will be opening for Camp Lo[/b] at Prague Saturday night.

But the thing I'd like to comment on more than anything is how great it is that Brownout[/b] is on that same bill with Mingering Mike[/b] and Dorando[/b] at Club Deville on Saturday night. Be set for them to blow you all away!!!

1914 Guadalupe St # A
    Austin, TX 78705
    (512) 457-1013

4215 Duval St
    Austin, TX 78751
    (512) 451-3994

Austin, TX 78701-1219

or

Kerbey Lane has some veggie options and is open 24 hours. I love their gingerbread pancakes.
    2700 South Lamar Blvd.
    12602 Research Blvd
    2606 Guadalupe St.

1501 South 1st Street
    512-416-1601

1601 Guadalupe St
    Austin, TX 78701
    512-322-5131

Eastside Cafe has Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas, Pesto Ravioli, Artichoke Manicotti
    2113 Manor Road

512-478-8645
    512-445-0000

512-477-5228
    2414A South Lamar Blvd
    Austin, Texas 78704

2928 Guadalupe
    Austin, TX 78705
    479-7337

Trudy's has some great tex-mex vegetarian options like migas enchiladas and refried black beans. I highly recommend their Mexican Martinis also.
    central location
    409 West 30th Street
    Austin, TX 78705
    Phone 512-477-2935

south location
    901-C Little Texas Lane
    Austin, TX 78745
    Phone 512-326-9899

north location
    8820 Burnet Road
    Austin, TX 78758
    Phone 512-454-1474

and thanks to Harvey for first mention on Mother's...

I remember Veggie Heaven and also, I think Mr. Natural -- kind of cafeteria-style food w/ small health food store attached, but pretty damn good and cheap?

There was also a centrally-located African or Jamaican spot that was all-veggie, I think? Small spot w/ booths that had its own parking spot... looked like it could'be been a former 7-11 location. I remember them having good plantains and such. They still around and/or listed above?

looks like Ice Cube will be headlining at the Auditorium Shore SXSW Concert on Saturday the 15th

Auditorium Shores Stage (Lady Bird Lake) March 15th
    (Riverside Dr & S 1st St) (All Ages)
    Super Pal Universe 1:00 p.m. Austin TX Rock
    Rachel Trachtenburg Morning Show 1:45 p.m. New York NY Singer-Songwriter
    Christian Scott 3:30 p.m. New York NY Jazz
    Lyrics Born 4:30 p.m. Oakland CA Hip Hop/Rap
    Strong Arm Steady 5:30 p.m. Los Angeles CA Hip Hop/Rap
    Jean Grae 6:15 p.m. Brooklyn NY Hip Hop/Rap
    Talib Kweli 7:00 p.m. Brooklyn NY Hip Hop/Rap
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Ice Cube 8:00 p.m. Hollywood CA Hip Hop/Rap

http://2008.sxsw.com/music/showcases/club/Auditorium%20Shores%20Stage%20(Lady%20Bird%20Lake).html

Late adds include:

Chalie Boy[/b] added to the Bun B line-up.

Buckshot[/b] added to the Stones Throw line-up.

M-1 of Dead Prez[/b] added to the Ryno/Slim Gutta line-up.

Devin the Dude[/b] added to the Dizzee Rascal line-up.

And I've signed on to dj a private party Saturday night, so I'm gonna miss out on Ice Cube at Aquafest...I mean, SXSW at Auditorium Shores.

• I'm gonna be setting up slanging records (lps/45s) in the parking lot at Jo's coffee (on south congress) from thu-sun. noon-10. just got some good collections, so when you're sick of not getting into shows with your $200 wristband, come holler/dig.

pm if you need more details.

also, cosign on the veggie lacings.

• YO.. I will be there, but I didn't buy a wristband... should I just not even try getting into the shows?... please drop knowledge..

YO.. I will be there, but I didn't buy a wristband... should I just not even try getting into the shows?... please drop knowledge..

The Auditorium Shore shows are usually open to the public.

And just about every SXSW act seems to find a way to do a non-SXSW day show...which are also usually free.

So there's plenty to do (and drink) without a wristband.

• should I just not even try getting into the shows?... please drop knowledge..

there's plenty to do. it's all about the free day parties. just plan on doing day shit, mellowing in the night, then hit after-parties (the local's strategy). if there's some obscure shit playing for SXSW, you can usually pay to get in without a problem, anything popular is not even worth trying unless you can bribe the door man (going rate is about $50 per person).

just try to do some research about the day parties though. most bands (except the big ones) are usually doing some free shit somewhere. check out who's there, then go to their myspace/website to see if they're doing any daytime shit.

g

• When I was veg living in Austin about 6 yrs ago I would frequent these spots about twice a week each.

1914 Guadalupe St # A
    Austin, TX 78705
    (512) 457-1013
    I'd recommend the Protein 2k
    or something called the October special or something to do with Autumn.

I'd rock the Tom Yum and the Tom Kha soups with a side of rice for an appetizer. For entree, basil pasta tofu dish that's the bomb.

Also, I don't know if Tamale House (on Airport) is still doing its thing, but that place has is the jump off for cheap breakfast burritos. The fresh salsa is 2die4.

• What hotels are people staying at?

Still haven't booked our rooms, but would be cool to stay where other people are at..

At this point I think we're going to have to stay outside of town, probably about 10-15 minutes north outside of downtown, that's where the cheap ones are.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'm there, work related. Would love to meet up with fools for dinner sometime. We're also going to be showcasing one of our bands, and they're going to be super bad ass. They're from Norway, play rock music, and are reckless, hilarious, and awesome. Ungdomskulen, bitches!! Thursday night @ Maggie Mae's rooftop. Holleur if you want to head out.

1914 Guadalupe St # A
    Austin, TX 78705
    (512) 457-1013

4215 Duval St
    Austin, TX 78751
    (512) 451-3994

Austin, TX 78701-1219

or

2700 South Lamar Blvd.
    12602 Research Blvd
    2606 Guadalupe St.

1501 South 1st Street
    512-416-1601

1601 Guadalupe St
    Austin, TX 78701
    512-322-5131

2113 Manor Road

512-478-8645
    512-445-0000

512-477-5228
    2414A South Lamar Blvd
    Austin, Texas 78704

2928 Guadalupe
    Austin, TX 78705
    479-7337

central location
    409 West 30th Street
    Austin, TX 78705
    Phone 512-477-2935

south location
    901-C Little Texas Lane
    Austin, TX 78745
    Phone 512-326-9899

north location
    8820 Burnet Road
    Austin, TX 78758
    Phone 512-454-1474

thanks again for the recommendations, I'm checking some of these out. But are any of them in the downtown area? I'm staying at 2nd and San Jacinto so I'm very near most of the film venues and there are tons of restaurants around, but most of them seem pretty corporate and/or corny.

Not afraid of a long walk... although sometimes my window of time for a meal is tight?

Oh, and is the food served by Alamo Ritz any good? the idea of falafel and a beer over a movie sorta appeals to me since we don't have that option in Bmore, but sometimes theatre food is a l'il on the
    side.