Hinckley's death reminds Nation: Mormons=far right

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
The 800-pound gorilla sneezes. All over Mitt Romney.
Mormons believe the president of the church is a living prophet and apostle. They considered his words divinely inspired, including his views on homosexuality and the role of men and women in the home."We are not anti-gay. We are pro-family, let me put it that way," (Gordon) Hinckley told (Larry) King in 2004. "We love these people and try to work with them and help them. We know they have a problem. We want to help them solve that problem."In an earlier interview with (Larry) King, Hinckley laid out his views on family structure."Put father at the head of the house again," he said. "A good father, who loves his wife and whose wife loves him, and whose children love him ... and let them grow together as good citizens of the land."
And the there's this eerie passage:
A church body known as the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles becomes its governing body upon the death of a president. It will choose a successor after Hinckley's funeral.
CNN linkIt's not quite Scientology, but John McCain is a happy man right about now. He'll say nothing and reap the harvest.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's not the far right thing. They are more deeply religious, and strongly support their members.

I think why this is bad for Mitt is that far right Republicans who call themselves Christians mostly belong to churches that have a weak central and democratic governing body. Members don't look beyond their local church and pastor for direction. The LDS on the other hand is ruled from a central church by saints. A little strange for the Evangelical right.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    mormon history for the kiddies

scary as the south park episode

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It's not the far right thing. They are more deeply religious, and strongly support their members.

I think why this is bad for Mitt is that far right Republicans who call themselves Christians mostly belong to churches that have a weak central and democratic governing body. Members don't look beyond their local church and pastor for direction. The LDS on the other hand is ruled from a central church by saints. A little strange for the Evangelical right.

There's also that little problem that a bunch of the hardcore religious right/evangelical types see Mormonism as a heretical cult and not a "true" Christian faith.

• It's not the far right thing. They are more deeply religious, and strongly support their members.

There's also that little problem that a bunch of the hardcore religious right/evangelical types see Mormonism as a heretical cult and not a "true" Christian faith.

Which is kind of odd, since there are about eleventy-thousand "Christian" denominations. My sister and her family live in South Carolina, and driving down th highway to their house there must be 50 different little Christian churches with a WIDE variety of denominations. It's amazing these people can agree on anything.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• Hmmmmm...I wonder how the guy on the right lost his arm?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Which is kind of odd, since there are about eleventy-thousand "Christian" denominations. My sister and her family live in South Carolina, and driving down th highway to their house there must be 50 different little Christian churches with a WIDE variety of denominations. It's amazing these people can agree on anything.

It's way more than "a bunch of the hardcore religious right/evangelical types"...I would estimate that close to three quarters of Protestants and Catholics in America (from lefty progressives to hardcore wingnut fundamentals) would not consider Mormon doctrine to be even remotely in sync with what they would call Christian doctrine. I grew up in a Swedish Baptist tradition which is pretty mild when it comes to hardline anything, and they definetly drew the line that Mormons were at worst a cult masquerading as Christianity, and at best sorely misguided souls who were suckered into believing crazy stories.

Sad to say that now I sort of see all religion as people being misguided and suckered into believing crazy stories.

• It's not the far right thing. They are more deeply religious, and strongly support their members.

It's way more than "a bunch of the hardcore religious right/evangelical types"...I would estimate that close to three quarters of Protestants and Catholics in America (from lefty progressives to hardcore wingnut fundamentals) would not consider Mormon doctrine to be even remotely in sync with what they would call Christian doctrine. I grew up in a Swedish Baptist tradition which is pretty mild when it comes to hardline anything, and they definetly drew the line that Mormons were at worst a cult masquerading as Christianity, and at best sorely misguided souls who were suckered into believing crazy stories.

Sad to say that now I sort of see all religion as people being misguided and suckered into believing crazy stories.[/b]

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hmmmmm...I wonder how the guy on the right lost his arm?

He didn't believe[/b] enough.

• Sad to say that now I sort of see all religion as people being misguided and suckered into believing crazy stories.[/b]

When was the last time you read a book and bought into its message, no matter if it was fiction? I believe in Garcia Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude even though it's clear such things as young girls drying laundry on the line, floating away, and disappearing in the sky is not possible, nor are flying carpets sold by roaming gypsies.

You need to brush up on symbolism and metaphor, evidently.