CD/DVD+MacBook=ehhhhhhh

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
For the past 2 months, I've had a problem with playing CD's and/or DVD's on my MacBook. Is this a common problem or am I fu*ked? I would ask this question on a forum dealing with computers but I trust someone on here can set me straight.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I had a friend who had that problem. If it's less than a year old, it's under warranty.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    For the past 2 months, I've had a problem with playing CD's and/or DVD's on my MacBook. Is this a common problem or am I fu*ked?

I would ask this question on a forum dealing with computers but I trust someone on here can set me straight.

Mike, what exactly is the problem? Are they skipping or just not playing?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    For the past 2 months, I've had a problem with playing CD's and/or DVD's on my MacBook. Is this a common problem or am I fu*ked?

I would ask this question on a forum dealing with computers but I trust someone on here can set me straight.

Mike, what exactly is the problem? Are they skipping or just not playing?
    The 'puter is pushing out the CD/DVD. It won't play brand new CD's.

I had a friend who had that problem. If it's less than a year old, it's under warranty.
    Damn, it's 18 months old.
    Looks like I'll either be buying a new computer or spending $$$ to get the CD drive fixed.

Again,

But if you have the patience to keep trying to play it, it will eventually read?

But if you have the patience to keep trying to play it, it will eventually read?
    Already tried. That ain't working sarge.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Damn. I wish I could help, but it sounds like a technical thing. Did you check on the Mac Forums at all?

Damn. I wish I could help, but it sounds like a technical thing. Did you check on the Mac Forums at all?
    I scanned Mac forums but no, I really didn't read it.

Maybe Soul Strut can't help me.

I scanned Mac forums but no, I really didn't read it.

Maybe Soul Strut can't help me.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue, which doesn't really give you any DIY opps.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    every cd/dvd or only certain ones?

every cd/dvd or only certain ones?
    It used to be do it with dirty or scratched cd's/dvd's but the computer's spitting out brand new shit.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    mine started doing that right before it just stopped accepting cds all together. i'm well outside the warranty and am pretty sure it's going to be some $$ to get it fixed. i'm just going to put that money towards a new laptop.

it sucks not being able to burn cds though.

good luck.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    this is a shot in the dark, but how about using one of these"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I've never used them before, but you might try using one of those CD laser cleaning discs. I always assumed they were a scam, but you could give it a shot. They're cheap at least.

Here's a description:

CD Laser Lens Cleaner cleans and demagnetizes with Maxell's patented Thunderon Brush System. It restores CD player and CD-ROM drive performance by removing dust and debris from laser lens. It is fully automatic cleaning system with instructions on disk.

edit: JINX!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    ha.. this shit def worked on my car stereo way back when, but who knows... its worth a shot.

mine started doing that right before it just stopped accepting cds all together. i'm well outside the warranty and am pretty sure it's going to be some $$ to get it fixed. i'm just going to put that money towards a new laptop.

it sucks not being able to burn cds though.

good luck.
    God Damnit.
    Well it looks like I'll spending some $$$ on a new computer. This time around, I'll spend the extra 2-300 on a warranty.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    By no means am I an elitist, but where did all this "Macs never problems" talk stem from? I know 3-4 people who've had Mac issues and their computers are newer than my Toshiba!

ha.. this shit def worked on my car stereo way back when, but who knows... its worth a shot.
    I'll do it. It didn't do shit for my DVD player but I'll try it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    By no means am I an elitist, but where did all this "Macs never problems" talk stem from? I know 3-4 people who've had Mac issues and their computers are newer than my Toshiba!

ive had a my powerbook for 4 years now and have never had a problem with it. not saying that means much, but a larger sample size of mac users would prolly be more accurate.

:macasshurt:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I've never used them before, but you might try using one of those CD laser cleaning discs. I always assumed they were a scam, but you could give it a shot. They're cheap at least.

Here's a description:

CD Laser Lens Cleaner cleans and demagnetizes with Maxell's patented Thunderon Brush System. It restores CD player and CD-ROM drive performance by removing dust and debris from laser lens. It is fully automatic cleaning system with instructions on disk.

edit: JINX!

I have this and it's made a couple of my CD players work more betterer over the years.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    So did this problem happen, like, all of the sudden or was there a gradual onset of the problematic signs and symtoms. Additionally, does it occur with a all CDs, or more often with CDrs DVDrs, etc. Does it seem to have a preference of music--you know how judgmental macs and their owners can be (j/k).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    No problems here. Although my MacBook does this annoying screen flicker shit for about ten minutes after I turn it on, though, which is another common problem.

• you might want to take it to an Apple store to have a "genius" look at it. Yes, they are called geniuses. Make an appointment online and then show up and bring it in. It's free for them to check it out, even if it's out of warranty. They'll tell you what's up and what it would cost to get it fixed. If it needs to be fixed it will basically be double the cost of the parts.

If your computer is worth saving then you should check out ifixit.com

You can buy the parts for cheaper and then you can fix it yourself with their pictorial tutorials. I have a mac mini (much like a laptop in the sense that it is not meant to be opened and it uses a laptop size harddrive) and it died on me. I took it to an Apple genius and he quoted me about $360 to send it off and have the hard drive replaced (no recovery). I went to ifixit and bought a hard drive and then put it in myself (using their guide) and did it for about $150.

If the computer itself is good and you only need the drive replaced, it's worth giving it a go. If it's only a picky drive it should be an easy fix.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    macs have the lowest failure rates of all laptops, but that still means it's in the 20 percentile. It's a laptop, it'll get bumped and dropped. I don't know why people see it as vindication when they hear about a mac failing. I don't recall apple ever claiming their computers are indestructible.

The optical drives in macs are often made by either matshita, pioneer, etc. They're not magical apple made optical drives that never fail. HD's and optical drives breaking down are the most common problems amongst laptops.

If you're brave enough to repair it yourself, read this. Although from the sound of your post, you might be wise to leave it to a professional.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-Duo/Optical-Drive-Replacement/86/9/

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    macs have the lowest failure rates of all laptops, but that still means it's in the 20 percentile. It's a laptop, it'll get bumped and dropped. I don't know why people see it as vinidcation when they hear about a mac failing. I don't recall apple ever claiming their computers are indestructible.

The optical drives in macs are often made by either matshita, pioneer, etc. They're not magical apple made optical drives that never fail. HD's and optical drives breaking down are the most common problems amongst laptops.

^well stated^

mike i've experienced this before in past with my old g4 powerbook. it's roughly 5 years old. i've noticed that my laptop likes certain brands of cdr/dvdr more than others... why? dunno... try experimenting with different brands before you take the route of replacing parts.

hope this helps and more importantly works

*note*: those disc cleaners aren't good for your laptop's cd drives either i've heard...

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i'd say spend the $80-150 for a new drive.

but if you're fiending for a new one, i'll be glad to buy it off ya.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    macs have the lowest failure rates of all laptops

LOL

- spidey

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    macs have the lowest failure rates of all laptops

LOL

- spidey

...just when I thought we'd make it through a Mac-centric thread without you.

I'll be picking up a 13" black jawn soon.

i'd say spend the $80-150 for a new drive.

but if you're fiending for a new one, i'll be glad to buy it off ya.
    Thanks but I'm keeping it. I'll mess up my computer by trying to repair it myself, so it's going to one of those 'geniuses' at the Apple Store to get fixed.

Thanks for advice everyone!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I have a problem with my powerbook not accepting certain blank CDRs and DVDs.
    Which really sucks because I can't buy shit here in Africa and all the blank DVDs I bought in bulk on my last trip to Europe get rejected.

This and the stupid code-changing restriction will probably make me buy a non-Macintosh product next.

Shit just doesn't seem as consumer-friendly as it used to be.