Black Mountain - In the Future

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
who's up on this? + + =

Comments

• who's up on this? + + =

Yes sir...very solid album.
    They're a great live act too. I saw them in LA a couple months ago and am going to check them out at the Troubadour in a couple weeks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ooh, gonna have to check for this one..their 1st (last?) album was niiice

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    ooh, gonna have to check for this one..their 1st (last?) album was niiice

Truthfully i like the first one better...this one is more ambitious (prog) - so I tend to go for of the straightforward jams (Angels is my new anthem of 200andgr8!). That said - a very solid rock album. Catching them at Bowery Ballroom next month.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    oh yes!!! live act is beyond...
    drop...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

They're playing Toronto in early March I think - missed it last time. Must go this time.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's a cool album, but something about there production bugs me. Plus I always skip the non sabbathy songs.

Radio Moscow gave me what I was looking for production wise. Anyone into these boys?

- spidey

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    digging this album and will be up at the troubadour next month too.
    pete... HOLLER.

• It's a cool album, but something about there production bugs me. Plus I always skip the non sabbathy songs.

Radio Moscow gave me what I was looking for production wise. Anyone into these boys?

- spidey

yeah, I have that Radio Moscow...good stoner/proto metal steez...I like it better than Black Mountain...BM is a too studied/academic approach to Sabbath-like music...not "rock" enough, if that makes sense...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I actually think that BM is a little different than your garden variety stoner/proto metal steez... there's something a little lighter and spiritual ( a little political?) that I think they are trying to achieve.

...or maybe they're just stoned?

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    BM is a too studied/academic approach to Sabbath-like music...not "rock" enough, if that makes sense...

if you've watched black mountain evolve over the past 5 years (from SSW/guitarist mcbean and drummer wells prior group, jerk with a bomb, which included singer webber near their end), the music has changed in a very organic way. def not studied or academic in nature. these are not trainspotters (still, what musician doesn't nick things here and there, right???). the sound is definitely more heavy and far out than before (especially compared to JWAB), but to me it's the songwriting and musicianship that both elevates and separates their work from a landscape filled w/ carbon copy revivalists.

but don't listen to me, i'm already sold (and laying low on the couch listening to the 3rd edgar broughton band LP)...