Oscar Noms - Discuss!

13»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    "I Met the Walrus"

Great back story on this. I hope it wins!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    And how the hell does the there will be blood score not get nominated??

I don't think it's universally agreed that the score is all that great.
    I know I wasn't all that impressed with it. I didn't hate it, and at first
    I was into it, thinking that it created great tension. But then it just seemed
    to keep going that way, through the entire film, repetitive to the point of
    distraction. Also, it can be hard to get nominated for your first score.

It was disqualified:

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm?newsid=19224219&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=580223&rfi=6

The score for "There Will Be Blood" was ruled ineligible for consideration in the Best Original Score category by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which yesterday announced the contenders for the annual awards ceremony.

The Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood wrote the score, which was disqualified because "the majority of the music was not composed specifically for the film," a source told the Los Angeles Times' Envelope Web site, which reports Oscars news.

• i just saw king of kong and that flick should get something just for being awesome. best thing i saw from last year by far. you couldnt script a better story. and the dvd commentary with the 2 nerds is awesome.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I saw this last week. To me there are three weak links -

SPOILERS

I agree with Faux on the reveal of Nikolai's true identity. IMO, it is too heavy-handed. It didn't deserve a whole scene, one quick and subtle yet clear pointer would have been good enough.

The incredible coincidence whereby he ends up at the same hospital where Watts works at after the steambath fight.

Naomi Watts. She is flat and brings nothing to her characters. It was just a re-hash of her character in Mulholland Drive in some ways. Her one-dimensional acting worked in Mulholland Drive because that was basically the acting style of the film across the board, but E Promises is a rich and hot-blooded and violent movie, her glowing blond halo, wide-eyed good girl caught in a bad situation shit was, well...shit. The casting was lazy and I am sick to death of her.

Otherwise, this movie was amazing to me. It is a great organized crime film - the right balance of flash and mystery. As good and sexy as Mortenson and Cassel are, it was Mueller-Stahl who shined; he was so scary - he was always on the brink of punching some in the neck or caressing their face. His presence was in every scene, even if he himself wasn't on screen. It is also a very good film about lonlieness to me and this undercurrent gave the movie a lot more depth than your usual thriller. The scene in the basement after Nikolai gets made where he and Kirill hug and it becomes clear that Kirill is in love with Nikolai (and perhaps Nikolai with Kirill)...the look on Cassel's face, the strength of the hug and what is being held back as well - all of it was just a beautiful and terribly sad moment. Actually, all throughout the film, there are beautifully tender moments between the two men.

• it becomes clear that Kirill is in love with Nikolai (and perhaps Nikolai with Kirill)...

care to elaborate? I mean there were some obviously homoerotic scenes and exchanges but you really thought it was "clear"? I'd say it was ambiguous.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Naomi Watts. She is flat and brings nothing to her characters.

C'cmon, let's keep body image out of this.

It was just a re-hash of her character in Mulholland Drive in some ways. Her one-dimensional acting worked in Mulholland Drive because that was basically the acting style of the film across the board, but E Promises is a rich and hot-blooded and violent movie, her glowing blond halo, wide-eyed good girl caught in a bad situation shit was, well...shit. The casting was lazy and I am sick to death of her.

I actually think for a fairly big star, she brings more to the table than most. Her acting may be a little one-dimensional, but she can have a very expressive face. the scenes in Mulholland Drive where she flips and needs to look evil or depraved or both... damn, there's a glint in her eye that makes me believe it.

I agree that she didn't add much to Eastern Promises, although she didn't detract from my experience, either. Only the trite voice-overs bugged me in that film.

I would say the treatment was ambigious, but coupled with the rumours of him being gay floating around and his messy and excessive reaction to one of the gossipers, the scene where he makes Nikolai f*ck the girl in the brothel as he watches, the estrangement with his father and his incredbily self-destructive behaviour made it clear. It is movie about "the East" after all, a lot of hugging and kissing between men doesn't instantly make me think GAY! There were other situations to point that way.

• I would say the treatment was ambigious, but coupled with the rumours of him being gay floating around and his messy and excessive reaction to one of the gossipers, the scene where he makes Nikolai f*ck the girl in the brothel as he watches, the estrangement with his father and his incredbily self-destructive behaviour made it clear. It is movie about "the East" after all, a lot of hugging and kissing between men doesn't instantly make me think GAY! There were other situations to point that way.

oh no doubt. the brothel scene was prolly the most obvious. but I thought it was a good treatment, not too obvious.

Yea, I don't know why, but the VO didn't bug me. In almost any other situation, it would. I think it was important to keep it Tatiana's story and this was probably the least convulted way to do it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Into The Wild

So I actually saw this last night and really liked it. It wasn't without it's minor flaws but felt the editing and music (pearl jam vindicated?) gave the film a real feel that rode over the minor hiccups.

Hal Holbrook's performance in the film was superb as well - the part where he asks to adopt him was heartbreaking.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Oscar scorecard
    Complete list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards
    The Envelope
    January 22, 2008
    PHOTOS: Nominees

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Awards nominees

BEST PICTURE
    "Michael Clayton"

BEST ACTRESS
    I'm not sure about this one

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
    he was amazing in this. I'm surprised the joke academy actually recognized it.

BEST DIRECTOR
    Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"

I think Michael Clayton was probably one of the worst and most forgettable movies i sat through last year.

Juno was probably the greatest thing since slice bread, but I didn't watch it.

I'm gonna ride for No country, and for Javier Bardem for Best supporting Actor.

Also, Cate Blanchett, she's definitely one of my favorite working actresses.

- spidey

• "anything referring to juno"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453115/

as the departed did with infernal affairs last year, so shall juno?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    while we are discussing films..I heard this is a dope movie..

can anyone confirm? The trailer looks good.

i have that in my netflix queue...should be here tomorrow

Oh god, this movie is terrible! I'm puzzled as to why it got such good reviews around here. I mean, see it for yourself but it's a poorly acted and written after-school special about meanie racists. Borrrring. The only good thing is that the skinhead chicks are dressed pretty hot; I've got a soft spot for girls with fred perry's and a chelsea cut.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" (a big duh)

BEST PICTURE (tough one)
    "No Country for Old Men"
    "There Will Be Blood" (leaning)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"

Can't ride for any actresses this year. (But I'll always ride for the milfalicous Ms. Blanchett.)

BEST DIRECTOR (?)
    Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"
    Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (need to see this)

BEST ART DIRECTION
    "There Will Be Blood"

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    "No Country For Old Men," Roger Deakins

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    "Sicko"

BEST FILM EDITING
    "The Bourne Ultimatum," Christopher Rouse

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    [radioheadfanboy]("There Will Be Blood" not nominated, but i think it should be)[/radioheadfanboy]

BEST SOUND EDITING
    "There Will Be Blood"

BEST SOUND MIXING
    "The Bourne Ultimatum"

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    For me it is in between "into the wild" (not nominated) and "no country" for best pic...

I haven't see 'there will be blood' yet though... i need to check that one.

Into The Wild is a great great movie... so well done.

• I saw this last week. To me there are three weak links -

SPOILERS

I agree with Faux on the reveal of Nikolai's true identity. IMO, it is too heavy-handed. It didn't deserve a whole scene, one quick and subtle yet clear pointer would have been good enough.

The incredible coincidence whereby he ends up at the same hospital where Watts works at after the steambath fight.

Naomi Watts. She is flat and brings nothing to her characters. It was just a re-hash of her character in Mulholland Drive in some ways. Her one-dimensional acting worked in Mulholland Drive because that was basically the acting style of the film across the board, but E Promises is a rich and hot-blooded and violent movie, her glowing blond halo, wide-eyed good girl caught in a bad situation shit was, well...shit. The casting was lazy and I am sick to death of her.

i watched this last night. i enjoyed it although i liked history of violence a lot more.

IMO heavy-handedness is a cronenberg staple. i feel there's never any middle ground with his movies only extremes, either moments of calm quiet or jarring in your face brutality but that's what i like about him. i never thought character development was his strength, maybe that's why Naomi Watts didn't bother me so much. i never watch his movies for the people, i watch it for the spectacle, the overall bizarre atmosphere and sometimes the story is truly special trash. cronenberg characters seem similiar to kubrick characters to me in the sense that they are weirdly vacant (& almost caricature) and that adds more to their intense creepiness and intimidating presense. it's also the thing that makes his movies really entertaining. the tatiana voice overs were really bad though, but it is completely his style. the man loves his cliches. i still feel that he makes B movies with high production values and besides david lynch, i think he is one of the few people that can get away with it.

• while we are discussing films..I heard this is a dope movie..

can anyone confirm? The trailer looks good.

i have that in my netflix queue...should be here tomorrow

Oh god, this movie is terrible! I'm puzzled as to why it got such good reviews around here. I mean, see it for yourself but it's a poorly acted and written after-school special about meanie racists. Borrrring. The only good thing is that the skinhead chicks are dressed pretty hot; I've got a soft spot for girls with fred perry's and a chelsea cut.
    We watched this the other night and really liked it. I guess the plot trajectory may have been a little bit predictable but the acting was great and so was the soundtrack.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Oscar scorecard
    Complete list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards
    The Envelope
    January 22, 2008
    PHOTOS: Nominees

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Awards nominees

BEST PICTURE
    "Michael Clayton"

BEST ACTRESS
    I'm not sure about this one

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
    he was amazing in this. I'm surprised the joke academy actually recognized it.

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Michael Clayton? I saw that movie and i cant even remember what its about.

• the tatiana voice overs were really bad though, but it is completely his style. the man loves his cliches.

I agree with this 100%, but I still don't get it why he does this. I know it has to be intentional, but I still can't come up with a sound explanation. It's the same thing with Scorcese's rat in The Departed...

I thought This Is England was cool, if a bit conventional for my taste. And Dead Man's Shoes is better.

Also, the Romanian 4 Months... was good no doubt, but I got the feeling I was watching a Dardenne film-- dare I say it-- without the depth.

the tatiana voice overs were really bad though, but it is completely his style. the man loves his cliches.

I agree with this 100%, but I still don't get it why he does this.

LOL - folks hated the VO! I think he wanted to keep her and her story in the movie somehow, for viewers to not lose sight of what got the whole ball rolling. I am not sure how else he could have achieved this throughout without losing her voice - and I don't mean that literally. If you think it's terrible, I guess there is no impact, but there would have been much less of one if her diary only came to us through the translations of the grandfather. Movies gods forbid: if Cronenberg had resorted to on-screen text, I would have hated it.

Also, the Romanian 4 Months... was good no doubt, but I got the feeling I was watching a Dardenne film-- dare I say it-- without the depth.

It was my favourite of last year and I agree to a point, I wouldn't say it lacked depth, but it was cold cold cold. I think I loved it so much becasue it is so Dardennes-esque.

• oh yeah, i saw the bourne movie too. im a huge fan of this spy series.

Ugh, hate these. First one was pretty good but left me feeling empty. I never finished watching the 2nd one and the 3rd was just terrible. That surprise ending had me yawning.

• the tatiana voice overs were really bad though, but it is completely his style. the man loves his cliches.

I agree with this 100%, but I still don't get it why he does this. I know it has to be intentional, but I still can't come up with a sound explanation. It's the same thing with Scorcese's rat in The Departed...

normally with him, i'd say for tongue-in-cheek amusement. but in the case (voice wavering "my name......is.....tatiana....") it was so overwrought and heavy handed that the only explanation i can think of was to add to the melodrama. but yeah usually, i think he is just intentionally being cheesey and poking fun at cliches, almost taking them to an absurd next level which is why he is at heart a B-movie director to me. that part in a history of violence where viggo's son discovers his dad's past and asks in a whiney voice "dad, are you gonna wack me now?" i nearly inhaled my beer, it was so stupid funny.

although i'm not entirely sure that Scorese is aware of how hokey his rat visual gag was. i actually believe he thought it was clever. the last 20 minutes of that movie almost made it not enjoyable for me.

I agree with this 100%, but I still don't get it why he does this.

LOL - folks hated the VO! I think he wanted to keep her and her story in the movie somehow, for viewers to not lose sight of what got the whole ball rolling. I am not sure how else he could have achieved this throughout without losing her voice - and I don't mean that literally. If you think it's terrible, I guess there is no impact, but there would have been much less of one if her diary only came to us through the translations of the grandfather. Movies gods forbid: if Cronenberg had resorted to on-screen text, I would have hated it.

i don't think the issue here is with a voice over being a part of the movie but the execution of it. it was pretty overwrought and corny.

• When's the last time a G-rated movie got an Oscar nod, anyway?

Probably Oliver, which beat a superior G-rated movie called 2001 A Space Odyssey.

2001 was rated G? Can't imagine taking the kiddies to that one, unless I wanted them to fall asleep.

The rating system was much different back then. I don't think a G rating explicitly meant a childrens film. Still, I've been surprised by the rating board at times. The Straight Story certainly should not have been G rated.

that part in a history of violence where viggo's son discovers his dad's past and asks in a whiney voice "dad, are you gonna wack me now?" i nearly inhaled my beer, it was so stupid funny.

For me, it was when the little girl has the nightmare and they all gather round her bed to comfort her. Thank goodness diabetes skips a generation in my family (edit - in all families?) or else I'd be dead!

• that part in a history of violence where viggo's son discovers his dad's past and asks in a whiney voice "dad, are you gonna wack me now?" i nearly inhaled my beer, it was so stupid funny.

For me, it was when the little girl has the nightmare and they all gather round her bed to comfort her.

god i forgot about that. it's strange to me now that william hurt got an oscar nod for supporting actor in that role because i don't really remember much of his performance other than him being extra shady.

i def. think viggo mortensen deserves an oscar nom for EP though. weird to me that dude used to be married to Exene from the X. he'd be someone i'd like to smoke a joint if i still did.

that part in a history of violence where viggo's son discovers his dad's past and asks in a whiney voice "dad, are you gonna wack me now?" i nearly inhaled my beer, it was so stupid funny.

For me, it was when the little girl has the nightmare and they all gather round her bed to comfort her.

god i forgot about that. it's strange to me now that william hurt got an oscar nod for supporting actor in that role because i don't really remember much of his performance other than him being extra shady.

i def. think viggo mortensen deserves an oscar nom for EP though. weird to me that dude used to be married to Exene from the X. he'd be someone i'd like to smoke a joint if i still did.

whoa! I did not know that!
    LOL - I'd like to drink many drinks with him if it was Lydia Lunch!