COOL KIDS in LA

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I gotta speak on this show.... Just left the Echoplex... It is so Frickin' refreshing to go to a show that doesn't have a air of pretentiousness. The beats were bangin.. not overly complicated.. and not sample heavy. During a live performance I must say, it is nice to not have the beat out-shine the MC.. The crowd was loving every single track. Peace to anyone that was there... I am sure you would agree with me... GREAT show

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Saw the Cool Kids at a party in NYC last October and they put on a good show.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• Saw the Cool Kids at a party in NYC last October and they put on a good show.

Damn, sleepover?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    WITH A LITTLE BIT A GOLD AND A PAGER.

I'd like to see them live, been playing them on the radio a bunch, always get calls asking who they are.

• I saw a snippet of Cool Kids on some commercial and it sounded pretty cool. Mebbe I should check these dudes out. Do I need tight pants?

• I just missed them in SF at the Independent on 1/17/08. Oh well

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I posted this awhile back and, if I remember correctly, it went ignored:

I heartily endorse this product and/or event.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My girlfriend just did an interview with them. I'm going to see them on the 10th. I dig the hell out of that "Black Mags" joint.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Damn, sleepover?

You were there too Jonny! LOL. Yeah, that was the infamous "sleepover" night. That shit was too funny. That fool Delay is coming out here to Seattle to visit next month. I hope he is staying with his girl out here and does not think there is a sleepover at my place!!!!

• How does that kid rap with no circulation to his balls?

Either way it's cool. I dig them.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Haha yeah my fear is that they will be consumed by hipster-rap (if they haven't been already), but at the very least it's a good look to hear kids coming up with a unique sound and style.

• wheres the vinyl for this?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    wheres the vinyl for this?

Hell, where's the good bitrate mp3s, even. Anyways, they're playing Stockholm in february, I'll check them out.

• HamHam 872 Posts

It is obvious that this young man???s legs have atrophied due to under use stemming from paraplegia.

In some crude attempt at humor someone has propped him up, stepped out of frame, and quickly taken his picture. The expression of utter fear and confusion on his face at being vertical for the first time in years has broken my heart and brought me to tears.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    My girlfriend just did an interview with them. I'm going to see them on the 10th. I dig the hell out of that "Black Mags" joint.

Agreed! Hope Nannas interview went well. They were more coherent than Redman, I presume?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    dont get this at ALL

• I posted this awhile back and, if I remember correctly, it went ignored:

I heartily endorse this product and/or event.

this track has nothing on scraper bikes.

• It is obvious that this young man???s legs have atrophied due to under use stemming from paraplegia.

In some crude attempt at humor someone has propped him up, stepped out of frame, and quickly taken his picture. The expression of utter fear and confusion on his face at being vertical for the first time in years has broken my heart and brought me to tears.

You all are bunch of homo's... seriously..

talkin bout on some clothing level. Listen to their music then speak on it ladies.

that is all...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

wow. are you one of them?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

It is obvious that this young man???s legs have atrophied due to under use stemming from paraplegia.

talkin bout on some clothing level. Listen to their music then speak on it ladies.

that is all...

I fail to see anything remarkable about their music either. And alot of it is them talking about their clothes, so......

• It is obvious that this young man???s legs have atrophied due to under use stemming from paraplegia.

that is all...

I fail to see anything remarkable about their music either. And alot of it is them talking about their clothes, so......

• maddd buzzzz on these cats for a while now. good for them. peace, stein. . .

that is all...

Thats a good one B... but if you read what I said in the first post I spoke on how refreshing it is to have just hard beats with no over complicated samples.. its something a little different.. I'm not knocking your shit at all.. your beats a really tight and it takes a lot more talent to do that.. but all I'm saying is yeah.. its good music, and I think its easier to go to a show and have fun when the MC's aren't talkin about killer motherfuckers or how much money is on their wrist. so congrats on the "sonning" but you would have had a good time at the show, don't front

• I'm the one who said he sonned you. I think he was just making a point.

I'm sure they would love your defense of them. Keep fighting the cool fight.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    someone explain to me what they like about these dudes that doesnt resort to talking about what they ARENT doing i.e. 'they aren't talking about bling and don't use sampled beats!' - why is that something to automatically recommend music? lots of good music does one or both of those things, as does lots of bad music. i don't care what cool kids don't do, what DO they do that is so fresh?

These dudes arent exactly rocking my world and i struggle to understand

• . i don't care what cool kids don't do, what DO they do that is so fresh?

These dudes arent exactly rocking my world and i struggle to understand

Honestly I guess I just like the bass, and the flow... not sure.. I just had a good time last night at the show.. people were really into and thats saying a lot in LA. I think the way they take it back to the steeze that Jamel Shabazz reps is fun.. all in all its just fun music to me.. nothing earth shattering or new about it..

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Fools need to do the knowledge on this skinny jeans shit. It's not for me, but heads have been rocking that look for decades.

(ok, bottom pic...maybe not the best example, but it's all I could find without scanning a Jamel Shabazz book)

I'm staying quiet on all this other stuff, but I will say those dudes are definitely cool in the real sense. They made the party last year at SXSW.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    . I think the way they take it back to the steeze that Jamel Shabazz reps is fun.

Oh shit I just saw this. See, fools know what I'm talking about.
    I'll never forget the time Qbert came to judge a battle and some dude was cracking jokes about his nuthuggers. Rip leaned over to me and said "yo, that's that original B-Boy style!".