That second Black Sheep album

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I revisited it this morning and it's not actually that bad.Too much Mr. Lawnge, too self-serious and slicker production, but better than I remembered.That said, I'm not sure that I will ever listen to it again.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I never knew it existed until 2001 and was enamored with the idea that it did and it quickly became a "favorite." This being said, I agree with what you said and haven't really listened to it in a few years.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey Faux,

I'm curious to know: did you like it when it came out?
    For myself, I remember, even as a kid, thinking it was disappointing after the "A Wolf's.." lp.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hey Faux,

For myself, I remember, even as a kid, thinking it was disappointing after the "A Wolf's.." lp.

No--that's what I'm saying; in retrospect, it doesn't seem as weak as I thought it was at the time.

Definitely some terds on it, though... including assorted East Coast stompish crew cuts.

EDIT: I didn't actually listen to rap back then--strictly industrial goth mind melterz.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

No--that's what I'm saying

Ah, I see.

Well I applaud your resilience in holding onto it. This album, and maybe Eerk & Jerk, were one of the first to go in the very many cd purges I've gone through throughout the years.

If only I'd held onto that Fu-schnickens cd. Damn it!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    So???

is the new

?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Faux,

No--that's what I'm saying; in retrospect, it doesn't seem as weak as I thought it was at the time.

Definitely some terds on it, though... including assorted East Coast stompish crew cuts.

EDIT: I didn't actually listen to rap back then--strictly industrial goth mind melterz.[/b]

Wow, the truth comes out. I always wondered about the bases of your "unique" rap perspective(s). Don't take offense, I still got love for you, Faux!!! I thought "No Fiction" was weak at the time (relative to the 1st LP), but it's far from the worst rap recording I've ever heard. Some candidates for this award would be:

-"Magnum Opus"-Top Quality.
    -that Divine Styler LP for which the name escapes me.
    -that wack John Forte bullshit 1st LP.
    -Cool C's first (and I think only) joint.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Faux,

EDIT: I didn't actually listen to rap back then--strictly industrial goth mind melterz.[/b]

Wow, the truth comes out. I always wondered about the bases of your "unique" rap perspective(s). Don't take offense, I still got love for you, Faux!!! I thought "No Fiction" was weak at the time (relative to the 1st LP), but it's far from the worst rap recording I've ever heard. Some candidates for this award would be:

-that wack John Forte bullshit 1st LP.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I discovered rap through SoulStrut circa 2003, whent he boy Shied poasted a link to it on a Meat Beat Manifesto forum that I used to frequent.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Noooooo! If we're talking just rap then I can kinda see where you're coming from (although there's many, many, MANY records that are worse IMO), but you can't front on that horn loop from "Magnum Opus"! I also liked "Grey Matter" from that Divine Styler album and I played the shit outta that Cool C record. "Juice Crew Dis", "Glamorous Life", etc. There were some joints on there.

That said, I played "Flavor of the Month" last night and instantly regretted it. I don't think I can play those old Black Sheep songs without feeling corny these days. They've just been played to death.

• -Cool C's first (and I think only) joint.

no way!

I Gotta Habit from 1989 is really good!

Maybe you're thinking of his 1991 joint (name escapes me at the moment)?

• better than I remembered.

The problem is... it's not memorable at all.

THEME + ECHO = KRILL

• that first song on Non Fiction is good. "Autobiographical." I always get a kick out of it when his mom pops in and says "listen here you little motherfucker."

I think most people were dissapointed because it was nowhere near the first record, but as stated above it's not that bad. A decent listen.

Day, they're not corny. I'll still play any of that stuff and not care. Maybe I am corny.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    that first song on Non Fiction is good. "Autobiographical." I always get a kick out of it when his mom pops in and says "listen here you little motherfucker."

I think most people were dissapointed because it was nowhere near the first record, but as stated above it's not that bad. A decent listen.

Day, they're not corny. I'll still play any of that stuff and not care. Maybe I am corny.

Nah, it's not that the songs are corny, it's just that after djing since they were made I've heard them a billion times. I still like that first Black Sheep album, but I'd be fine if I didn't "The Choice Is Yours" for the next 10 years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    They took so long to release this album that by the time
    it came out, I didn't care anymore, and have never listened
    to it. This is after the first album was an absolute favorite
    that I played until it was unlistenable, and saw them live twice.
    But it seriously took, what, 3 years for the second album to be
    released? I did like the track they had on the "Trespass" OST
    though - was that on the second album?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Meat Beat Manifesto

i think we need an appreciation thread?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

no way!

I Gotta Habit from 1989 is really good!

Maybe you're thinking of his 1991 joint (name escapes me at the moment)?

Life in the Ghetto. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "good," but it isn't lousy.

Meat Beat Manifesto

i think we need an appreciation thread?

The boy Shied already gave us one... which is probably one too many.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    They took so long to release this album that by the time
    it came out, I didn't care anymore, and have never listened
    to it. This is after the first album was an absolute favorite
    that I played until it was unlistenable, and saw them live twice.
    But it seriously took, what, 3 years for the second album to be
    released? I did like the track they had on the "Trespass" OST
    though - was that on the second album?

On The Wall was not on the 2nd LP.
    One theory was that the group "ran outta records," I heard that in a Mista Lawnge interview.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's not a bad album taken on it's own merits but does suffer greatly compared to their debut. I suspect the Frickin' awful front cover didn't help sales at the time. My main problem with the music itself is the number of crew type choruses compared to the laid back feeling of AWISC. I still listen to tracks like Autobiographical and City Lights though.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

Their new album is actually alright Well its actually just drez now). I was suprised to say the least.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Didn't Mr. Lawnge drop a solo album last year/2006 too? I couldn't find that.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    After getting over my disappointment that Black Sheep now = Dres I have to agree that it was a pretty decent album. Lawnge's album was the more disappointing of the two though I really need to go back and give it a proper listen through.

• My main problem with the music itself is the number of crew type choruses

Agree on that point.
    The first few songs on the album I thought were on some grown mans shit and I felt there was a move in a mature direction.
    But its all a bit east coast stomp/rowdy is places and didn???t quite work for the most part.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    that North South East West song is still the jam after all these years. love that song.