Tell me what LIBRARY means

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
What are Library records? I've seen a ton in the Soulstrut classifieds, but I've never come across any in real life. Please school me.

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Damn, i was looking for that page and couldnt find it.

boo to the changes at VV.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'm still banned... boo to VV

Really?

thats poos.

Il will start a non-profit organisation, BBB

Bring Back B!@#n.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    library records:

most hip in 2002
    most turdy in 2006++

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Really?

thats poos.

Bring Back B!@#n.

B!@#n HATES VV.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Really?

thats poos.

Bring Back B!@#n.

B!@#n HATES VV.

VV hates

• library records are
    records that you get at a library sale.
    library sales happen all the time just check the papers around your town,look in the classified section under sales.
    library sales are always great and you can usually find some real nice records,
    usually you can get them for cheap and sometimes free if you just ask

good luck to you

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Library records come from companies that work as an archive of music to sell for publishing. Those companies, with the help of arrangers/composers/musicmakers, produce music of all sorts to be used in radio ads, movies, tv shows etc. Just think of any piece of TV you've ever seen (unless it's The OC or something like that) and bingo, library music. The library music that's sought after by record collectors is the type that was produced for 60s and 70s TV and movies.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Library records come from companies that work as an archive of music to sell for publishing. Those companies, with the help of arrangers/composers/musicmakers, produce music of all sorts to be used in radio ads, movies, tv shows etc. Just think of any piece of TV you've ever seen (unless it's The OC or something like that) and bingo, library music. The library music that's sought after by record collectors is the type that was produced for 60s and 70s TV and movies.

and they got MAD DRAMA LOOPS FA DAYZ, SCHUN!

you forgot that part.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Learn from the master:

- THIS RARE FRENCH LIBRARY LP IS THE BOMB...YOU HAVE 1 KILLER UPTEMPO COP SHOW FUNK STYLE TUNE PERFECT FOR CLUB DJ`S WITH A WILD FUNK GROOVE & KILLER CONGA DRUMS..ALSO THE BOMB TUNE `LAST NIGHT` ON THE DRAMA DUSTY FINGER STYLE TIP WITH CRAZY HIP HOP SAMPLES GALORE & WILD FUZZ GUITAR ACTION & ABOUT 3-4 OTHER BADASS TUNES WITH KILLER DRAMA HIP HOP SAMPLES TO BE FOUND VINYL / COVER NM / 100

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the essence of wendy o williams blowing up a cadillac and brandishing a chainsaw with tape on her nipples in a faux catholic school girl uniform nullifies and diminishes the faintest acknowledgement of creative merit regarding library music 80% of the time
    or so it has been my luck

Learn from the master:

- THIS RARE FRENCH LIBRARY LP IS THE BOMB...YOU HAVE 1 KILLER UPTEMPO COP SHOW FUNK STYLE TUNE PERFECT FOR CLUB DJ`S WITH A WILD FUNK GROOVE & KILLER CONGA DRUMS..ALSO THE BOMB TUNE `LAST NIGHT` ON THE DRAMA DUSTY FINGER STYLE TIP WITH CRAZY HIP HOP SAMPLES GALORE & WILD FUZZ GUITAR ACTION & ABOUT 3-4 OTHER BADASS TUNES WITH KILLER DRAMA HIP HOP SAMPLES TO BE FOUND VINYL / COVER NM / 100

holy shit.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The amount of misinformation in this thread is embarrassing. THIS is the correct definition:

library records are
    library sales happen all the time just check the papers around your town,look in the classified section under sales.

Is that clear, morons? You go to a library sale...BAM! Library record. You go to a garage sale...BAM! Garage record. Shit is not that difficult to comprehend.

• I was havin' a shitty day till i read this thread! Hee Hee!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't another draw to library records for producers the lack of PAID sample clearance. i'm under the impression that if you have the record, you OWN the music (the artists were paid by the label/etc) and can use it as YOU wish.

am i wrong??!?!?!??!

or is the draw to the library records just the obscurity????

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Learn from the master:

this needs to go on beatdawg's tombstone, recordgirl can deliver the eulogy.

• correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't another draw to library records for producers the lack of PAID sample clearance. i'm under the impression that if you have the record, you OWN the music (the artists were paid by the label/etc) and can use it as YOU wish.

I had an email from Sonoton when i was selling some Sonoton records last year

Your offer includes SONOTON LPs or CDs. May we inform you that you are not entitled to sell SONOTON CDs, LPs. They belong to Sonoton and are not for sale.
    Please remove your offer at once from the site or we will contact eBay with ANotice of [email]Infringement@.[/email]

Sonoton LPs and CDs are produced for professional use and belong to Sonoton or ist agents. You may not have been aware of this fact and we therefore kindly ask you to remove your offer and refrain from selling Sonoton LPs and CDs in the future.

Kind regards
    SONOTON Music
    GmbH & Co. KG

I sold them anyway. but how could they still be the property of sonoton

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't another draw to library records for producers the lack of PAID sample clearance. i'm under the impression that if you have the record, you OWN the music (the artists were paid by the label/etc) and can use it as YOU wish.

I had an email from Sonoton when i was selling some Sonoton records last year

Your offer includes SONOTON LPs or CDs. May we inform you that you are not entitled to sell SONOTON CDs, LPs. They belong to Sonoton and are not for sale.
    Please remove your offer at once from the site or we will contact eBay with ANotice of [Email]Infringement@.[/Email]

Sonoton LPs and CDs are produced for professional use and belong to Sonoton or ist agents. You may not have been aware of this fact and we therefore kindly ask you to remove your offer and refrain from selling Sonoton LPs and CDs in the future.

Kind regards
    SONOTON Music
    GmbH & Co. KG

I sold them anyway. but how could they still be the property of sonoton

that's what i'm saying!!!!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    library records are
    library sales are always great and you can usually find some real nice records,
    usually you can get them for cheap and sometimes free if you just ask

good luck to you
    this is totaly good advice! but

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i can tell you what library means in the simplist of terms
    it meams one decent record for every 1000 you come across

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The amount of misinformation in this thread is embarrassing. THIS is the correct definition:

library records are

Is that clear, morons? You go to a library sale...BAM! Library record. You go to a garage sale...BAM! Garage record. Shit is not that difficult to comprehend.

Yeah, I mean, I was in a REAL smelly store the other day, and walked out with a bunch of Funky Records. It's hard to find loner folk nowadays though - once you walk in a spot, the guy's not alone anymore.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

am i wrong??!?!?!??!

or is the draw to the library records just the obscurity????

When library records were sold, they weren't sold like normal records for just anyone to use, not like sample libraries these days. TV and radio stations, and others willing to pay the money, bought licenses to use the music on the records. When these stations got rid of the physical records, they still (in theory) own the license to use the music, and the person who bought the records second-hand does not.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    paging IZM

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    were all library records recorded in libraries?

• correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't another draw to library records for producers the lack of PAID sample clearance.
    I think you still have to clear samples, unless the original company has disappeared.
    But many production music companies are still around and have merged with/purchased smaller labels. Here's a short news story, the guy at Zomba points out that Gnarles Barkley used music from his catalog.