weird German talk show host freestyles on my beat

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central

I got an email from some dude asking if I would give them permission to use my song. Supposedly he played the song before the show started, to get the host warmed up and relaxed, and the host did this odd drunken freestyle. The guy tells me the lyrics basically say "i like your mother so so much..."It's all over youtube in about 10 different clips. He's asking me to send them an email oking usage and it sounded like (kind of in broken english) that they would not be able to compensate me.I don't want to be a dick and get all bitchy about it, but I also don't want some German dude freestyling on my beat about shit I can't understand and then having them comentate on it and laugh and think it's so hillarious. Maybe I am disconnected with what looks like German gaming television. Would I approve this shit in the first place? No. Do I seem like a dick if I don't agree? Yes.What do I do? I guess I should just pass it off to my publishing company. Either way, I hate it when people come to you after the fact and ask if it's ok to use something. I'd almost rather not know.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sue everybody involved!

• for real. They could at least give me one of those flat screens.

Oh well my publishing company can talk to them. It just kind of makes me look like a dick if I say no, but if I wanted that dude to rap about someones mom I would have called him up. It's almost worse that they sit around and all laugh like it's so funny. I feel used and abused.

German Strutters, chime in please.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Catchy beat though. Good job.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Did they grab it from the interwebs somewhere?

• no, it was released on a double 7 inch ep in 2005.

Either the guy had the record or got it off of the russian mp3 site or soulseek.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Why would some fuckhead try to ask someone permission after they already stole' or used it? Doesn't make sense. Its like "Oh, by the way I fucked your girlfriend" type steez.

C7: I still rock your "11ft" joint you posted a while back. Not using it on any public access channel though.

• this is something I would actually argue... they should have gotten your permission first... Get the standard rate...

• This is a tricky one. Do you know how are they going to use the clip after you give approval?

• if they end up using it, they should tell people where to buy the music
    although maybe it's better not to be publicly associated with them

• if they end up using it, they should tell people where to buy the music

This is what our site does... we are strickly an online site, so its like an interactive soundtrack.. If you like the song you hear during a show, you can click a button that sends you right to a site to buy the track you are hearing... its pretty cool for labels/publishers that understand this to be promotional instant gratification.

• C7: I still rock your "11ft" joint you posted a while back. Not using it on any public access channel though.

hmm. I have no idea what that is, but cool.

It appears that it's already aired. I don't know how there would be youtube clips of it if it hadn't aired. From what I can tell it looks like they filmed ude in rehearsal and then they were like "ha ha, johnny did some raps before the show" and then they showed the clip and they all laughed. The thing that is weird is that there are about 10 different youtube clips, like this it's some craze. I don't get it at all. I don't see the appeal. I am assuming the lyrics are corny too. I'm surprised there are no offensive rap hands.

I forwarded the email to my publishing company. Hopefully they will handle it. The dude who emailed me says he's been a fan for a long time. I don't want to step on any toes, but I would have never approved this.
    I'm not trying to say I am some huge star or that "this is my art" and I won't have it disrespected, but in a sense, yes this is my art and I didn't make it so a german gamer tv show could do raps about peoples moms on top of it (at least not without a paycheck).

all the youtube clips says "Colin Mit - Deine Mudda" as if it's a song. Ugghh.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    ask Hawkeye. he??s the german TV maestro, he can tell what to do.
    btw. That guys talking senseless shit. "Your Mutha - I like her" and all that. not even funny.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

German Strutters, chime in please.

hi there... i'm at work right now, so i can't watch that clip. maybe you can let me know what their names are? i'll watch the video at home. but i can't imagine any german rapper to be funny. what tv channel is it?

to be honest, it sounds horrible. why can't they pay you or something? it's on tv...
    anyway, german rap is for mr. sucker!

• hi!

To sum it up that clip is dumb and senseless!

Your reaction :

I don't want to be a dick and get all bitchy about it, but I also don't want some German dude freestyling on my beat about shit I can't understand and then having them comentate on it and laugh and think it's so hillarious. Maybe I am disconnected with what looks like German gaming television.

... is NAGL especially if you think about the "lyrics" of a lot of US dance/rap stuff invading nternational charts by good management tactics and nothing more!

I personally would use that video clip, rely on my producing and creativity skills
    and would create some new masterpiece - if you think of an fresh prince and his sense of humor for example, this clip could be a great source for something really nice.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hi!

Your reaction :

I don't want to be a dick and get all bitchy about it, but I also don't want some German dude freestyling on my beat about shit I can't understand and then having them comentate on it and laugh and think it's so hillarious. Maybe I am disconnected with what looks like German gaming television.

... is NAGL especially if you think about the "lyrics" of a lot of US dance/rap stuff invading nternational charts by good management tactics and nothing more!

I personally would use that video clip, rely on my producing and creativity skills
    and would create some new masterpiece - if you think of an fresh prince and his sense of humor for example, this clip could be a great source for something really nice.

what tv channel is it, s*b?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

C7: I still rock your "11ft" joint you posted a while back. Not using it on any public access channel though.

hmm. I have no idea what that is, but cool.

It appears that it's already aired. I don't know how there would be youtube clips of it if it hadn't aired. From what I can tell it looks like they filmed ude in rehearsal and then they were like "ha ha, johnny did some raps before the show" and then they showed the clip and they all laughed. The thing that is weird is that there are about 10 different youtube clips, like this it's some craze. I don't get it at all. I don't see the appeal. I am assuming the lyrics are corny too. I'm surprised there are no offensive rap hands.

I forwarded the email to my publishing company. Hopefully they will handle it. The dude who emailed me says he's been a fan for a long time. I don't want to step on any toes, but I would have never approved this.
    I'm not trying to say I am some huge star or that "this is my art" and I won't have it disrespected, but in a sense, yes this is my art and I didn't make it so a german gamer tv show could do raps about peoples moms on top of it (at least not without a paycheck).

all the youtube clips says "Colin Mit - Deine Mudda" as if it's a song. Ugghh.

Let your publisher deal with it. If it has been broadcast on TV you must be due a small fee for use ... that's standard rights stuff. I'm guessing it's the station that has been putting up the clips and they know they shouldn't be doing it without clearing the track.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    man thats on a very stupid "game" channel.. called giga tv.. they always air some stupid show..i wouldnt give them permission..he's just tryin to make fun of rappers (especially german rappers) ( yo mama so fat etc. etc.)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    man thats on a very stupid "game" channel.. called giga tv.. they always air some stupid show..i wouldnt give them permission..

giga tv is really a horrible channel. they should either pay you or not promote it... it's not like giga tv is a poor tv channel. they are a nbc subsidiary. make them pay you!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    they steal your track, put it on the air, and then ask permission to use it without paying you, and you're concerned about sounding like a dick?

In my opinion you will be dicking yourself if you do not do one of the following...

a) get some proper payment for the use of the track.
    b) pull the plug on the whole thing

If I learned anything from my very small amount of time releasing records, is that EVERYONE will try and take you for a ride if you let them. Make these fools pay.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so i just watched this. it's not good. neither funny, nor good. i'd not be happy if i was you. why did they play your music anyway? he's not rapping. just talking. i hate giga tv.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    so i just watched this. it's not good. neither funny, nor good. i'd not be happy if i was you.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Tommy,

I hope you get some money out of this crud. Eff that.

Also, you should really find a way to punish this behindert guy for saying this incomprehensibly dumb $hit as well.

HAHA! So classic.

-e

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    so i just watched this. it's not good. neither funny, nor good. i'd not be happy if i was you.

one time a few of my friends who have this joke-rap thing they do had a "surprise" for me at one of their shows, i showed up and they took one of my songs and rapped over it. i love the guys and the lyrics were hilarious but i couldnt help but feel a little hurt, hearing something i spent so much time on used in that fashion. i say go after them, whether or not any money is involved and just be like "dudes, no."

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    if you think of an fresh prince and his sense of humor for example, this clip could be a great source for something really nice.

Great advice! I often, in times of distress, stop to think, "What Would an Fresh Prince Do?"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    hi!

Your reaction :

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Awww hells no related.

• Tommy,

You are well within your rights to feel bummed on this, and well within your rights to tell them NEIN all day long.

I hope you see some Deutschmarks out of this.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Tommy,

Also, you should really find a way to punish this behindert guy for saying this incomprehensibly dumb $hit as well.

HAHA! So classic German.

-e

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Tommy,

HAHA! So classic German.

-e

• hi!

Your reaction :

I'm not a mean person and i've never really taken this stance on this board, but shut the fuck up. Me being upset because some tv host rapped about someone's mom and taking a shit standing up is NAGL? Fuck you.
    The Fresh Prince did his thing intentionally. I had no part in this.

As Ako said, it hurts when someone takes something you put time into and took seriously and then makes a joke out of it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hi!

Your reaction :

I'm not a mean person and i've never really taken this stance on this board, but shut the fuck up. Me being upset because some tv host rapped about someone's mom and taking a shit standing up is NAGL? Fuck you.
    The Fresh Prince did his thing intentionally. I had no part in this.

As Ako said, it hurts when someone takes something you put time into and took seriously and then makes a joke out of it.

No! You are personally accountable for America's lyrical colonializm of the German people!