Sex & Violence appreciation (BDPR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Last time I went back to my folks place I pulled this album out of the archive because I wanted to remind myself what it was like. So last night I fired up the gas stove and cooked while listening to this album all the way through, and I have to say, in the spirit of recently popularised terminology, I RIDE 4 THIS record HARD. The production is really tough, IMO. KRS's rhymes probably aren't the best of his career, but I gotta say I enjoyed almost every track on this record. Anyone else feeling this record?

Comments

• I just did a top 5 KRS or BDP with some of the homies....

Ruff Ruff is one of my favorites...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'll admit it: I kinda hatted on this album (except for "Duck Down") when it first came out. One of my friends in college convinced me to revisit it, and I was on some shit. Nowadays, it very closely competes for Best BDP Album honors. Love it.

• I likes.

He doesn't even seem like the same person these days, but back in the day he was pretty unfucwkitable. He's rocking a hat, t-shirt, and plain sunglasses in that video and shit is

I always slept on this album too. I think partially because of the album artwork.

• This is a psychologically, historically, and spiritually ill album. Cover art couldn't have been worse though.

Useless info: The concert footage in "we in there" video was shot at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark.

Dress

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    "13 & Good" and that joint with Bumpy Knuckles!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    has been in my favourite records since it was released i wore the tape out in my 1980 honda civic!

• that 13 & Good.

• Maggie I wish that vid used the Ali Shaheed remix track! So dope...

This is another great record from the 90s that was only released on scarce promo vinyl.

I've got a copy, but it's a tough one. This record got kind of dissed when it came out, but I always thought it was dope.

• it's also my favorite hoodie!

• yes- awesome record. the teacher will come again and again and again and again. if you don't know the history of the author, you don't know what you're reading. dude drops knowledge.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i didn't sleep on this one at all! love this album! its the only reissue BDP album i own cause i had to have it on vinyl. to me, "edutainment" is probably my favorite of his, but then everything up to "i got next" is incredible.....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    it's also my favorite hoodie!

How much you want for that?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1. The Original Way - hell fuckin yeah
    2. Duck Down - Yes
    3. Drug Dealer - Yes
    4. Like A Throttle - good
    5. Build And Destroy - Hell fuckin Yes
    6. Ruff Ruff - Incredible
    7. 13 And Good - good
    8. Poisonous Products - Next level
    9. Questions And Answers - cute
    10. Say Gal - yes
    11. We In There - Classic
    12. Sex And Violence - decent
    13. How Not To Get Jerked - smart but i skip
    14. Who Are The Pimps? - hells yes
    15. The Real Holy Place - KRS pointing towards his future self, Yes

I ride hard for this Boogie Down Productions album.

the Scott Williams art is Crush

Nice mix of producers and KRS was stiil growing as a lyricist.

8.5+

the robert[/b] Williams art is Crush

• I was just talking with one of my best friends last week about that album,and how underrated it was.

That one,"Return Of The Boom Bap" and the self titled release(also a little underrated) from 1995,have been in heavy rotation lately.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

My Moms old-school homey. Mad Robert Williams hanging in my moms crib. I watched To kill a mockingbird with dude when i was like 8.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I'll admit it: I kinda hatted on this album (except for "Duck Down") when it first came out. One of my friends in college convinced me to revisit it, and I was on some shit. Nowadays, it very closely competes for Best BDP Album honors. Love it.

From memory that's the only track that really done it for me. Ain't listened to it for years perhaps it's time to dig it out then...

My Moms old-school homey. Mad Robert Williams hanging in my moms crib. I watched To kill a mockingbird with dude when i was like 8.

dope! his art is pretty frickin incredible (and somewhat disturbing), i'd love to own an original. that guns n roses cover he did is heaterific too!

cool memory about checking a flick with him too.