Prize Czech - De La Buhloone Mindstate Promo LP

ZachDZachD 318 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Is this real?$50?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yes and Yes.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    In the heyday of rap records, I don't think this sold for more than 25.00 bucks.

• That's not true Howard - a legit US Tommy Boy promo (not the Uk issue! not the later issue with the cover!) would sell for $40-60.

I sold a copy semi-recently for $50. Damn hard to turn up... you can still get good coin for the promo De La Soul Is Dead too.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Is there anything special about the record other than a promo-stamp?
    From what I have been told, the '...Is Dead' promo came as a 2LP set which made it special over the standard release, right?

• Well there wasn't a legit commercial issue at the time, I tend to think those UK presses sound like crap...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Well there wasn't a legit commercial issue at the time, I tend to think those UK presses sound like crap...

A couple years back there was a store here that had 10 copies of this 'promo' for sale at 20 euros each.

Promo my ass.

(not necessarily speaking on yours ZachD, but on dodgyass 'promo' bootlegs)

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    That's not true Howard - a legit US Tommy Boy promo (not the Uk issue! not the later issue with the cover!) would sell for $40-60.

I sold a copy semi-recently for $50. Damn hard to turn up... you can still get good coin for the promo De La Soul Is Dead too.

Crazy. I got a copy at sound library years back for 20 bones & seen it on ebay for about as much. I guess those were flukey, tho. It's interesting that this has held value while the clearlake ep looks like its taken a nosedive.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Well there wasn't a legit commercial issue at the time, I tend to think those UK presses sound like crap...

A couple years back there was a store here that had 10 copies of this 'promo' for sale at 20 euros each.

Promo my ass.

(not necessarily speaking on yours ZachD, but on dodgyass 'promo' bootlegs)

The promo was the only official US release that was available at the time. There's since been at least one (UK) bootleg of it, which is probably what you've seen for sale.

• I think the clearlake has gotten many a boot, even some that look fairly convincing, while buhloone seems to have missed a major booting. I only know the Tommy Boy promo white label (with art on the label, not an A-List looking white label) and the Big Life UK version.

• Big Life has a picture sleeve, but it's kind of faded and silly looking. Tommy Boy promo came in a Tommy Boy sleeve. It's better vinyl too, if I remember correctly.

• i have a big life pressing with a plain white sleeve, i always assumed it was a boot.
    i recently got the us promo in a trade for some crap i had laying around

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is there anything special about the record other than a promo-stamp?
    From what I have been told, the '...Is Dead' promo came as a 2LP set which made it special over the standard release, right?

Yeah - the "De La Soul is Dead" promos weren't merely 2LP, they were also individually number-stamped and included a few songs that were left off the single-LP standard release.

As JP has been saying - "Buhloone Mindstate" never got a legit U.S. release on vinyl. I always thought that was strange and the album does beg for a 2xLP just for sound quality alone.

"Low End Theory" was the same deal too, right? Just the promo, single vinyl LP from Jive?

• That's not true Howard - a legit US Tommy Boy promo (not the Uk issue! not the later issue with the cover!) would sell for $40-60.

Crazy. I got a copy at sound library years back for 20 bones

This is akin to "I saw a copy go on ebay for $13.49", what one record in one store sold for five years ago is anecdotal as hell.

Are you sure you have a legit, orig promo copy? Because it was certainly on the wall from time to time, maybe yours had a couple nicks or was missing the original jacket or some such.

That's not true Howard - a legit US Tommy Boy promo (not the Uk issue! not the later issue with the cover!) would sell for $40-60.

Crazy. I got a copy at sound library years back for 20 bones

This is akin to "I saw a copy go on ebay for $13.49", what one record in one store sold for five years ago is anecdotal as hell.

Are you sure you have a legit, orig promo copy? Because it was certainly on the wall from time to time, maybe yours had a couple nicks or was missing the original jacket or some such.

Could have been in VG+ condition (which for the old TSL was pretty much like anyone else's NM-!). I've come up on a lot of stuff for "under market" because they graded it as being less than pristine but, by any one else's standards, was perfectly playable.

the clearlake ep looks like its taken a nosedive.

Yeah, what are OGs of those selling for now? At their height, I don't think they were moving for much more than $100-150. I can see "Buhloone Mindstate" holding value at around $50. Wonder how much the "Double Huey Skit" test presses are going for these days. I bet that's taken a dive too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

All my schitts are immaculate. And I tracked this record on ebay for a bit. I had a habit of copping multiples of my favorite records for a while, just in case anything happened to my good copy & for the odd trade. I think I got 5 copies of this record over a span of 5-6 years. They were all around the 20-25 dollar range & all are dead mint. I have 4 copies of clearlake, all OG, but that record seems to be worth not so much right now.

• ok buddy

• ok buddy

that made me laugh, or lulz as the kids say. Kind of punny in a de la thread too.

All my schitts are immaculate. And I tracked this record on ebay for a bit. I had a habit of copping multiples of my favorite records for a while, just in case anything happened to my good copy & for the odd trade. I think I got 5 copies of this record over a span of 5-6 years. They were all around the 20-25 dollar range & all are dead mint. I have 4 copies of clearlake, all OG, but that record seems to be worth not so much right now.

All I'm saying, II think Johnny or Cool Chris could put this up on their wall for $50 at their respective stores and the shit would sell, easy. It's entirely possible that one could buy it cheaper elsewhere but I think there's a market out there who'd still drop fiddy on it.

• True. I'm not trying to diss Howard and I don't check ebay for hip-hop at all because unless we're talking about crazily sought after random rap everything is selling mega cheap.

I don't doubt that Howard might have pulled out a $20 copy at TSL but like I said before, I've also seen it on the wall.

If I got this record again, tomorrow, I would price it at $50 again. It's extremely tough to come by in the real world.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

All I'm saying, II think Johnny or Cool Chris could put this up on their wall for $50 at their respective stores and the shit would sell, easy. It's entirely possible that one could buy it cheaper elsewhere but I think there's a market out there who'd still drop fiddy on it.

Ha, thanks for the outpouring of, err, discussion on this. I think that clears things up.

I had not ever seen this before. I thought it must be a weird bootleg or something although it looked pretty legit with the tommy boy sleeve and matrix numbers but discogs had no info on it.

You brought up low end theory, I came across a 2LP copy of Midnight Mauraders which is a UK pressing but a legit one as it had really nice inner sleeves that I had never seen on a US pressing. The UK buhloone is kind of dodgey as they say but in the case of the MM release, I consider it the 'good' one.

No idea if they had multiple covers though on the UK release which I would be interested to know if anyone knows.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    True. I'm not trying to diss Howard and I don't check ebay for hip-hop at all because unless we're talking about crazily sought after random rap everything is selling mega cheap.

I don't doubt that Howard might have pulled out a $20 copy at TSL but like I said before, I've also seen it on the wall.

If I got this record again, tomorrow, I would price it at $50 again. It's extremely tough to come by in the real world.

I was typing in haste because it was almost 5 and I wanted to get out of the office. I wanted to add that the people who deal with records on the daily as a business have a much better frame of reference than someone like me, who just buys records as a hobby. For all I know, I bought those copies because they were cheap & I'm forgetting about copies that came up that were more expensive that I passed on. Also, the TSL price could have been just a nice turn from Jared/Rob/Ras because I used to spend a few hundred there a month. I just tossed out what I paid trying to help out...

I do take serious umbrage with the suggestion that I'd buy a record produced by a major label in large quantities in anything less than mint condition. The only VG + records that grace my collection exist in very few copies, like the X-Clan show vinyls that I copped from Professor X before he passed (RIP). When it comes to my collection, I go first class all the way. Anything else would be uncivilized.

• I do take serious umbrage with the suggestion that I'd buy a record produced by a major label in large quantities in anything less than mint condition. The only VG + records that grace my collection exist in very few copies, like the X-Clan show vinyls that I copped from Professor X before he passed (RIP). When it comes to my collection, I go first class all the way. Anything else would be uncivilized.

Ha Ha!

• De la Is Dead and Buhloone Mindstate both rarely pop up in the Bay.I would put $50 on them without hesitation.I most likely would ask $75 on the Dead Double.
    I got to say though, I rate these higher than most.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Congrats, Zach, on the Chron write-up...

And I've had a copy of that Bahloone Mindstate promo for ages. One of these days you need to come by and I can show you some stuff...