Arthur Verocai, just 1 release?

UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I love the S/t album so much, is that all we get? I've been videos on Youtube of him rocking acoustic in an interview or something. Let me know the deal.What are some other artists in this vein?

Comments

• Also, was he in any bands or anything in addition to his solo work?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Check releases for a vocalist named Celia (she's also on that album). He did her orchestration.

Also, as far as I know, he's done work for a lot of Brazilian ost's and soap operas. As to the exact titles, I can't say.

Did you also know about his new release? It came out, what, maybe a year or two ago. It sounds like he picks up where he left off on the OG, so you should definitely check it out.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    He also produced a few good albums back in the day... check out Karma.

• Yea its called encore right? I just found that, I'd be super interested in his OST work, I'll look out for celia. Thanks a lot man.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Ferrari in the house, whats up man? Hey, how did you end up fairing with that moral quandary when you were in beantown?

Ferrari in the house, whats up man? Hey, how did you end up fairing with that moral quandary when you were in beantown?

Hahaha... alcohol induced good times! That was interesting. No harm, no foul

So that one Celia album is the only time I've been ripped off by a South American dealer. Doh!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What's the main appeal of his S/T record to most people? Funkiness? (I hope not).

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    What's the main appeal of his S/T record to most people? Funkiness? (I hope not).

Absolutely beautiful music with top notch arrangements and vocals ... and yes funky .. but it is simply a classic record within any genre (in my musical opinion)

Why would you say "funkiness (i hope not)" ?

Absolutely beautiful music with top notch arrangements and vocals ... and yes funky .. but it is simply a classic record within any genre (in my musical opinion)

Get off your high horse Rey, this record is incredible.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Just really beautiful music, full of the kind of unexpected twists and turns that seem to come naturally to so many Brazilian musicians. Timmy Digalots sweat it because MF Doom used "Na Boca Do Sol" on one of those "Special Herbs and Spices" joints, but if that's the only reason, then they're missing out. Yet another incredible record that I might have gone the rest of my life without ever hearing if it weren't for this place. *raises glass to the Strut*

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i don't think people dig the S/T for the funk at all. as people have already said, it's the beauty in the production and arrangements that really make this stand above and beyond other Brazilian records, and in my opinion, records in general.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

What are some other artists in this vein?

You'd probably like Jose Mauro's Obnoxious.

Very lush, baroque, subtle music... sometimes a little dark. Another Brazilian artist from same period with excellent production.

• What are some other artists in this vein?

Very lush, baroque, subtle music... sometimes a little dark. Another Brazilian artist from same period with excellent production.

Thanks for mentioning this...absolutely great platter!

For real.

Although it should be mentioned that it's not for those looking for the funk (not that I hear much "funk" in Verocai, either).

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

For real.

Although it should be mentioned that it's not for those looking for the funk (not that I hear much "funk" in Verocai, either).

This record was pulled from the market if I remember correctly. He died from a car crash when it was about to be released. The label decided not to put it out since there was no artist to market in light of his death.

Not the same record under another name is it? I notice the listing mentions a track called "Apocalipse" which I believe is also on Obnoxious (don't have it in front of me).

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i think its a mix of some tracks from the released record and others from the same session but unreleased.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    One of the greatest pieces of recorded music. Ever.

Also, like a lot of the other arrangers of that era in Brazil, many of the other records that Verocai worked on are great, but weren't necessarily his own ideas. He made many good records great, akin to what David Axelrod did here in the states. But it's on his own record that his music really shines through.

On my list of things to do after building my time machine is going back in time to prevent the fire that allegedly destroyed tons of copies of this record.

Also, like a lot of the other arrangers of that era in Brazil, many of the other records that Verocai worked on are great, but weren't necessarily his own ideas. He made many good records great, akin to what David Axelrod did here in the states. But it's on his own record that his music really shines through.

On my list of things to do after building my time machine is going back in time to prevent the fire that allegedly destroyed tons of copies of this record.

why dont you stop the car accident that killed him instead?

It's on my list too. It's a big list.

Since Arthur is still alive , what you ask is impossible.

i think we are both talking about jose mauro, or at least I am.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think saba is talking about jose mauro.

Pretty sure Verocai also did some orchestral arrangement on the Quinteto Ternura album.

check your ftp...

also, I wonder why Reynaldo even bothered posting on here.. so far he has no response to his meaningless post, and I doubt that he intends to respond...why don't you like the record.....not salsa enough perhaps?

i think we are both talking about jose mauro, or at least I am.

Yes we are, but my first comment was about Verocai's S/T record. That's the one that basically doesn't exist.

I think saba is talking about jose mauro.

Pretty sure Verocai also did some orchestral arrangement on the Quinteto Ternura album.

check your ftp...

ah yes... saba , didn't notice that bit about mauro up above.

aser , will do. respec!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    this record is...
    fonkay

• edubedub 715 Posts

maybe of interest?

Quartin

if it the verocai lp im thinking of, this may interest you also. Joyce & Nelson Angelo.