Roadtrip DC

FunkyMmonikerFunkyMmoniker 88 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
So the wife, baby, and myself will be heading down to DC from Thursday until Monday to visit our friend. I will have plenty of record shopping time and plan on seeing some live jazz in a dark hole of a club. Som Records and Revolution Records are the 2 spots that I found good info on....any other spots you guys could give praise to would be very helpful. Are there any bars/clubs that I should look into or stay away from as well. We are also going to the Spy Museum!?!? I greatly appreciate any info.

Comments

• ...fuck i remember when the wonderland ballroom was a dope neighborhood bar to kick back drinks in. now it's just a Frickin' mecca for herb ass hipsters.

no offense mordecai if you're one of em.

but yeah, anything that says "old school flavors" and has an audience outside whiter than a ghost is a no go.

i dunno, i have a few places i go when i'm home. last time i was back there was some cat approached me & my girl on 18th talkin bout "yo if you like hip-hop or house or any good deep shit you should check out my boy spinnin" so naturally we took it as yeah whatever-whatever and went in our little bar but decided to go and check it anyways. he was spinnin in hell (club Heaven & Hell, hell being the basement) and dude was actually spinnin nothin but wax...and a perfect mix too. we were like the only couple in there. shit was the best set i heard in a minute and would have loved to frequent that spot if he copped a residency.

other than that...i really don't go out for certain nights. if i wasn't gonna be in the bronx this weekend i'd take you to royal palace. haaaappy tiiiiiimez!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    the wonderland ballroom...a Frickin' mecca for herb ass hipsters.

I am one of them.

it was fun last time I spun there... I don't think the crowd was any more hipster than your typical Richmond crowd (where I live). I guess it was fairly white... whatever... i didn't spin any top 40 or dirty south if thats what you are looking for.
    I would suggest getting there early as it was very crowded last time

• no, i'm far from being into top 40...

yeah richmond is ridiculous with that tight pants shit. but to be honest, we probably know some of the same people. i think the only black person in the wonderland is either a) the doorman, or b) this cat stephen i know that use to go there. it's really sad.

but seriously, that place does piss me off...i have to walk by it whenever i leave to get beer.

• I'm certainly not trying to be insulting man, but honestly.....if you desire more than just top 40 and think DJs at Hell are spinning much better material than anyone at Wonderland, then you've experienced something I've never seen before. I'd give Wonderland another chance. It's one the few dance spots where DJs can go somewhat leftfield from time to time and the crowd digs it. Hope you decide to pop in one day and try again.

...fuck i remember when the wonderland ballroom was a dope neighborhood bar to kick back drinks in. now it's just a Frickin' mecca for herb ass hipsters.

but yeah, anything that says "old school flavors" and has an audience outside whiter than a ghost is a no go.

i dunno, i have a few places i go when i'm home. last time i was back there was some cat approached me & my girl on 18th talkin bout "yo if you like hip-hop or house or any good deep shit you should check out my boy spinnin" so naturally we took it as yeah whatever-whatever and went in our little bar but decided to go and check it anyways. he was spinnin in hell (club Heaven & Hell, hell being the basement) and dude was actually spinnin nothin but wax...and a perfect mix too. we were like the only couple in there. shit was the best set i heard in a minute and would have loved to frequent that spot if he copped a residency.

other than that...i really don't go out for certain nights. if i wasn't gonna be in the bronx this weekend i'd take you to royal palace. haaaappy tiiiiiimez!

• So the wife, baby, and myself will be heading down to DC from Thursday until Monday to visit our friend. I will have plenty of record shopping time and plan on seeing some live jazz in a dark hole of a club. Som Records and Revolution Records are the 2 spots that I found good info on....any other spots you guys could give praise to would be very helpful. Are there any bars/clubs that I should look into or stay away from as well. We are also going to the Spy Museum!?!? I greatly appreciate any info.

There are tons of Live Jazz spots, plenty are on U St. NW, Georgetown near M st., and a few off of 14th in NW. Are you looking to hear Jazz Sat and Friday or are you looking to go out and hear anyting else?

• So the wife, baby, and myself will be heading down to DC from Thursday until Monday to visit our friend. I will have plenty of record shopping time and plan on seeing some live jazz in a dark hole of a club. Som Records and Revolution Records are the 2 spots that I found good info on....any other spots you guys could give praise to would be very helpful. Are there any bars/clubs that I should look into or stay away from as well. We are also going to the Spy Museum!?!? I greatly appreciate any info.

There are tons of Live Jazz spots, plenty are on U St. NW, Georgetown near M st., and a few off of 14th in NW. Are you looking to hear Jazz Sat and Friday or are you looking to go out and hear anyting else?

I'm open to anything really, I just remember being there about 5 years ago and strolling into some little bar w/some excellent piano/drum/bass trio...of course i was a so I can't remember a damn thing....streets, names, etc.....But if someone is spinning, I would check that out too...shameless plug noted, I dig your flyer.

• it's honestly the crowd that steers me away nitekrawler. that night i was talkin about there at hell was like dudes first night spinnin there. it was the atmosphere of not that many people in there combine with him actually gettin busy on vinyl like dj's use to do back in the good days of "clubs". he had some tricks up his sleeve this cat did.

i just really dislike being packed on a sweaty dance floor full of tight pant kids singing along to DWYCK like it's their thing. that gets me vexed like crazy, so that's only what i'm imagining.

the only time i fuck with a packed sweaty floor is Shelter on saturday nights/sunday morning up in manhattan.

• look into the schedule at bohemian caverns, maybe there's a chill show coming up. but yeah there's a couple good "sit back and relax" spots on U.

• I understand what your saying, Wonderland can get painfully packed at times.

Just so you know, I spin vinyl

it's honestly the crowd that steers me away nitekrawler. that night i was talkin about there at hell was like dudes first night spinnin there. it was the atmosphere of not that many people in there combine with him actually gettin busy on vinyl like dj's use to do back in the good days of "clubs". he had some tricks up his sleeve this cat did.

i just really dislike being packed on a sweaty dance floor full of tight pant kids singing along to DWYCK like it's their thing. that gets me vexed like crazy, so that's only what i'm imagining.

the only time i fuck with a packed sweaty floor is Shelter on saturday nights/sunday morning up in manhattan.