Wattstax

DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I saw it last night, a local cinema has just put on a whole bunch of screenings of it.I'd have to say The restoration they have done of it is really incredible, it looked, and more particularly sounded incredible for something shot in the early 70s.Highlights were The Emotions doing Peace Be Still at their local church; the Staple Singers doing Respect Yourself; and Rufus Thomas holding the crowd in the palm of his hand with Funky Chicken. Thousands of people jumped the fence ran onto the field during his set and he led them through the Funky Chicken before he told them to go back into the stands - and they actually did it. I don't think I've ever seen crowd cooperation like that before.The whole thing was inter dispersed with Richard Prior goodness which was enjoyable; he kinda played the role of MC'img the film.Such a great atmosphere in the cinema too, everyone was clapping and screaming out and carrying on like they were actually there - I've never been to a film where that has happened before.Who else has seen it? What did you think.song list: http://www.wattstax.com/music/songlist.htmlIsaac HayesRufus Thomas pulling of the bright pink short suit like only he can.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Who else has seen it? What did you think.

Legendary, that Emotions perf is def a highlight, although apparently they are still bitter they got bumped from the actual concert right as they were about to walk onstage. Unfortunately for them that performance saw them really pigeonholed as agospel group & possibly harmed their secular career according to that Soulsville USA book.
    But anyways, great film, great footage but wouldn't a better question be "Who hasn't seen it"??

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Legendary, that Emotions perf is def a highlight, although apparently they are still bitter they got bumped from the actual concert right as they were about to walk onstage.

It was a lot of people who were supposed to be there but weren't. I understand Johnnie Taylor wasn't around because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Isaac Hayes (his segment was shot in a club, if you recall).

Unfortunately for them that performance saw them really pigeonholed as agospel group & possibly harmed their secular career according to that Soulsville USA book.

I don't remember reading that (and I've reread the book on numerous occasions). I don't think the gospel segment harmed their career, since they'd been on the scene for a few years before that, and their biggest hit was yet to come, albeit on another label ("Best Of My Love," 1977).

• I've had the vinyl for about 15 years..

Copped the dvd a little over a year ago

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thanksgiving day we had guests over and after dinner we popped in the Wattstax dvd and had the best time! My mother-in-law was even doing the funky chicken with Rufus!

I just got the Stax doc that ran recently on PBS, and despite some omissions in personalities that were (not) covered (Al Jackson Jr should have had a lot more focus, he has such an interesting story in addition to being one of THE singular drummers in all of Soul) , I was pretty well mesmerized for 2 hours. It's such an unlikely success story that it really kind of boggles the imagination to think how they were able to tap into so much talent right there in Memphis.

• I caught part of the PBS special when it aired, I really need to see the rest. Very interesting, a great companion to Wattstax.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thanksgiving day we had guests over and after dinner we popped in the Wattstax dvd and had the best time! My mother-in-law was even doing the funky chicken with Rufus!

I just got the Stax doc that ran recently on PBS, and despite some omissions in personalities that were (not) covered (Al Jackson Jr should have had a lot more focus, he has such an interesting story in addition to being one of THE singular drummers in all of Soul) , I was pretty well mesmerized for 2 hours. It's such an unlikely success story that it really kind of boggles the imagination to think how they were able to tap into so much talent right there in Memphis.

Well, it certainly was better than "Only The Strong Survive." What an embarrassing mess that was.

Legendary, that Emotions perf is def a highlight, although apparently they are still bitter they got bumped from the actual concert right as they were about to walk onstage.

It was a lot of people who were supposed to be there but weren't. I understand Johnnie Taylor wasn't around because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Isaac Hayes (his segment was shot in a club, if you recall).

Unfortunately for them that performance saw them really pigeonholed as agospel group & possibly harmed their secular career according to that Soulsville USA book.

I don't remember reading that (and I've reread the book on numerous occasions). I don't think the gospel segment harmed their career, since they'd been on the scene for a few years before that, and their biggest hit was yet to come, albeit on another label ("Best Of My Love," 1977).

According to the book Luther Ingram, Johnnie Taylor, Joe Hicks, Mel & Tim & the Sons Of Slum were all there scheduled to perform & then got cut at the last minute. Imagine how awesome the movie would be with live sets from them as well!! That Emotions thing is on p.294 & is basically Sheila Hutchinson's view of the scenario, so I guess whether or not it was harmful is debateable, definitely sounds like the group weren't happy with the idea though. Love that Soulsville USA book, I just read it over xmas time, very interesting & recommended if people haven't read it already. Watched the DVD of the Respect Yourself doco recently too, the bonus DVD of the Stax/Volt Review in Norway in 67 is amazing. I can't speak highly enough of these films & book. Great stuff.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I loved the entire thing. The "I am somebody" speech makes me teary. All the music from beginning to end is baddass.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I loved the entire thing. The "I am somebody" speech makes me teary. All the music from beginning to end is baddass.

My respect for Jesse jumped markedly after that.

Watched the DVD of the Respect Yourself doco recently too, the bonus DVD of the Stax/Volt Review in Norway in 67 is amazing.[/b] I can't speak highly enough of these films & book. Great stuff.

Uhm....yeah....did any of you US Americans see a version like this? If so WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED? This is the first I have heard of it? Is it the entire concert revue?

Watched the DVD of the Respect Yourself doco recently too, the bonus DVD of the Stax/Volt Review in Norway in 67 is amazing.[/b] I can't speak highly enough of these films & book. Great stuff.

Uhm....yeah....did any of you US Americans see a version like this? If so WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED? This is the first I have heard of it? Is it the entire concert revue?

Yes, an entire Oslo concert from the Stax/Volt 1967 European tour that was recently discovered in a Norwegian TV station's vault. Direct from the master tapes! Facemelt ensues!! Over 75mins of the concert, as complete as possible since previously only 55min of bootleg footage was known to exist. Unfortunately two Eddie Floyd, one Sam & Dave & two Otis Redding songs are missing according to the setlist.
    Here is the tracks:

Booker T & The MGs
    1. Red beans & Rice
    2. Green Onions
    Mar-Keys
    3. Philly Dog
    4. Grab This Thing
    5. Last Night
    Arthur Conley
    6. In The Midnight Hour
    7. Sweet Soul Music
    Eddie Floyd
    8. Raise Your Hand
    Sam & Dave
    9. You Don't Know Like I Know
    10. Soothe Me
    11. When Something Is Wrong With My baby
    12. Hold On I'm Comin'
    Otis Redding
    13. Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa (sad Song)
    14. My Girl
    15. Shake
    16. Satisfaction
    17. Try A Little Tenderness
    Booker T & The MGs
    18. Green Onions (version 2) Bonus

According to the book Luther Ingram, Johnnie Taylor, Joe Hicks, Mel & Tim & the Sons Of Slum were all there scheduled to perform & then got cut at the last minute.

Yeah, you can tell that Luther's performance in the flick was faked. Even though it looks like it was filmed in the same coliseum, it's lit differently and the crowd shots don't appear to be in sync with the performance.

Not to mention the "man in the street" interviews, even if some of those were done by paid actors (Ted Lange from Love Boat; the guy who played Aunt Esther's husband on Sanford & Son; the guy who played C.J. on White Shadow). You can't help but wonder how the lesser-knowns made out in life since then...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That OSLO '67 DVD sounds like pure insanity.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yes, an entire Oslo concert from the Stax/Volt 1967 European tour that was recently discovered in a Norwegian TV station's vault. Direct from the master tapes! Facemelt ensues!! Over 75mins of the concert, as complete as possible since previously only 55min of bootleg footage was known to exist. Unfortunately two Eddie Floyd, one Sam & Dave & two Otis Redding songs are missing according to the setlist.
    Here is the tracks:

Booker T & The MGs
    1. Red beans & Rice
    2. Green Onions
    Mar-Keys
    3. Philly Dog
    4. Grab This Thing
    5. Last Night
    Arthur Conley
    6. In The Midnight Hour
    7. Sweet Soul Music
    Eddie Floyd
    8. Raise Your Hand
    Sam & Dave
    10. Soothe Me
    12. Hold On I'm Comin'
    Otis Redding
    14. My Girl
    15. Shake
    16. Satisfaction
    Booker T & The MGs

Ok - how do I get my hands on this?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Here is the tracks:

Booker T & The MGs
    1. Red beans & Rice
    2. Green Onions
    Mar-Keys
    3. Philly Dog
    4. Grab This Thing
    5. Last Night
    Arthur Conley
    6. In The Midnight Hour
    7. Sweet Soul Music
    Eddie Floyd
    8. Raise Your Hand
    Sam & Dave
    10. Soothe Me
    12. Hold On I'm Comin'
    Otis Redding
    14. My Girl
    15. Shake
    16. Satisfaction
    Booker T & The MGs

WE NEED TO KNOW!

Here is the tracks:

Booker T & The MGs
    1. Red beans & Rice
    2. Green Onions
    Mar-Keys
    3. Philly Dog
    4. Grab This Thing
    5. Last Night
    Arthur Conley
    6. In The Midnight Hour
    7. Sweet Soul Music
    Eddie Floyd
    8. Raise Your Hand
    Sam & Dave
    10. Soothe Me
    12. Hold On I'm Comin'
    Otis Redding
    14. My Girl
    15. Shake
    16. Satisfaction
    Booker T & The MGs

WE NEED TO KNOW!

BUY IT! I believe this was released simultaneous with the Stax and Otis Redding docs...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Highlights were The Emotions doing Peace Be Still at their local church;

Yes. Always gets rewound for a few listens when I watch it.

Thousands of people jumped the fence ran onto the field during his set and he led them through the Funky Chicken before he told them to go back into the stands - and they actually did it. I don't think I've ever seen crowd cooperation like that before.

Except for that one guy who never listens...I like how they finally got him and his umbrella to go back.

Ain't am clean?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My respect for Jesse jumped markedly after that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Such a great atmosphere in the cinema too, everyone was clapping and screaming out and carrying on like they were actually there - I've never been to a film where that has happened before

24/7/365

Such a great atmosphere in the cinema too, everyone was clapping and screaming out and carrying on like they were actually there - I've never been to a film where that has happened before

24/7/365

"Look out behind you, Action! He's gotta gun!"