CIA?

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I have been going through what you would call a pre-mid-life crisis of not knowing what I want to do with my life.HOWEVER, I am willing to take a huge sacrifice and go to Culinary School, as I have just come to realize that cooking for others actually makes me very happy. Imagine that. HA! Or maybe it's just cause I am a woman and that is my life calling. Kiiiiding...Anyways, I have been looking at schools for a while now and one that I have a LOT of interest in is the CIA (Culinary Institute of America www.ciachef.edu) and it is in Hyde Park. Which, of course is not cheap at all, and I have never been to the east coast. EVER.So, what I am wondering is if any of you have had any experience with Culinary School or know someone who has and have any insight for me. For example, the prospect of actually getting a job i would love, etc...I know it is a tough field, but I think I am ready for it!! Also I am ready for a fresh start and am willing to move anywhere (almost anywhere) at this point.Thank you for reading and I hope everyone is healthy, well-fed and happy!Cheers!

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    People I know who are fully into it, went to
    culinary school and such, completely love it
    and make decent money, enough to raise a family,
    buy a house, etc. However, every single one of them
    is also a slave to the job and works insane hours,
    you hardly ever see them because they work 60 hour
    weeks and spend the precious free time with their family.

So, solid life choice but a heavy commitment.

Like most things, I guess.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    worked in a few kitchens before and most of the chefs i worked with
    are raving maniacs... but most of em had been doing it for 20 years +

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I am from the area, and have known/dated/have relatives who have gone to the Culinary.
    Pros:
    -A CIA trained chef has a great chance of getting a job
    -Sometimes going to school can be fun
    -Top notch food all around you
    -Prestige school to have a degree from
    -The area is quiet and nice (I am biased by being from there maybe?)
    -Frequently interesting internships
    -Hop the train just a few minutes down the road in Poughkeepsie to NYC/Grand Central for an ok price
    Cons:
    -Long hrs
    -Having to rely on others sometimes when you work
    -Being around food all the time, you have a tendency to "fill out"
    -It is a mentally stressful profession, more so than Bourdaine would have you believe. Some people kinda bug out over it.
    -Chefs have a work schedule (when you get employed) that can suck just as bad as a doctor's
    -Po'town is kinda banged up and kinda slow in the social scene (sorry pkny & Paul!)

Need more info, holleur!
    Peace
    T.N.

• Elise, have you ever worked in a restaurant kitchen? I would highly recommend doing so before going to culinary school. Better culinary schools sometimes require professional experience. I have worked in kitchens with people trained in culinary schools who could not handle the pressure of a busy kitchen. I strongly feel that there are some aspects of the job that cannot be taught at culinary school. If you have worked in the restaurant business before and know what you are getting into then I say go for it. And the CIA is probably the best school in America from everything that I have heard.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    And the CIA is probably the best school in America from everything that I have heard.

They publish one of the best general cooking books: The Professional Chef.

However, I am extremely fond of cooking and I love to cook for others, but would not like to do that as a chef. As others have already mentioned, you??ll have a busy schedule, a huge workload and all that. Also, preparing food for 300 people is usually less interesting than preparing food for 5 friends.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    An ex-co-worker of mine went to school at night and eventually left to do the restaurant game. She's workin her ass off but she likes it better than the desk job.

Hyde Park -ChiTown?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Hyde Park -ChiTown?

North of Poughkeepsie, NY

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    A friend of mine's daughter is enrolled to begin there this fall. I believe you have to work in the food industry for at least 6 months and provide a letter from your employer. It is a great school. And is located in a beautiful part of the state, with lots to do, and many schools near by. If I get a chance to speak with my friend soon, I'll try to find out more about the aplication process.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Elise, have you ever worked in a restaurant kitchen? I would highly recommend doing so before going to culinary school. Better culinary schools sometimes require professional experience. I have worked in kitchens with people trained in culinary schools who could not handle the pressure of a busy kitchen. I strongly feel that there are some aspects of the job that cannot be taught at culinary school. If you have worked in the restaurant business before and know what you are getting into then I say go for it. And the CIA is probably the best school in America from everything that I have heard.

This advice is spot-on. I graduated from the CIA in 2005, and I could really go on and on about the pros and cons of that place.

At the very least, if I were you, I would work in a kitchen this year and enroll in the CIA for Spring 2009. This way, you can (a) see if you dig the reality of the lifestyle (cooking is more of a lifestyle than a profession) and (b) be enrolled with a higher percentage of career changers like yourself. Summer and Fall enrollments get all the kids who just finished high school. Many of these people are nightmares of the highest order.

PM me if you want more advice or have some specific questions.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I agree with with Snapping and Waxjunky on a lot of things here. Especially emerging yourself in the environment prior to enrolling. I know that one reason for this and coming from the back end of it...a lot of bars and restaurants won't hire someone who is educated in said field without experience because they feel you might think you know everything there is to know just because you have degree instead of a resume. It is difficult to mold people and expect an open mind if you already consider yourself well versed even if you haven't ever flown solo. You have to be able to conform and change to new ideas and practices from job to job in the restaurant industry...its not going to be a job where the rules stay the same.

I think a lot will depend on where you want to go with it as well. Do you want to own a restaurant or just work in one? If you see yourself running a restaurant I would suggest taking some management classes in addition to learning to cook. Do you imagine yourself in a 5 star establishment or a cozy bistro? Of course there is always room to grow, start small and work your way up but there are hardly any women chefs in high profile 4-5 star positions so if you have your sights on that it will be a tough and long road, but I'm sure you could do it.

All the "Woman, get in the kitchen" statements always make me laugh because professionally there are more men in the field and (like a lot of other positions) they make more money than women for the same job. That is changing too thankfully, but slowly, and it is still very much a male dominated career choice and being tough as nails is a prerequisite with a doubt.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Sorry I havent replied sooner, been hella busy. And thank you to everyone for the replies. I will be starting on some pm's for sure!

I also found that there is a CIA in California. Is it true that Hyde Park is a better choice?

I have been in the industry of food service for almost ever. And that means just serving in fine establishments and bartending. However, I have had a few customers ask me if I was the chef at the place I worked at, and as well as the manager. Pretty interesting stuff. I have also talked to the owners to start putting me back in the kitchen.

Anyways, I always wanted a job that is demanding and self rewarding and I always found this to be what makes me happy. I have also been highly into cooking gluten free foods, since my boy was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I dunno if there is way of increasing that knowledge more and use to open my own place, or specialize in it?? IM sure that is, but I don't know if it is really worth it. Yet, I have noticed an increase of people going out to eat with this disease.

And I am in no way in a hurry to jump into classes. Waxjunky, thank you for the advice of jumping into the kitchen first before enrolling. I saw that it is required on the website too.

Sorry if this post doesn't make so much sense. I took a couple sleeping pills last night, and man, that shit knocked me out!!

Thank you again for the responses. I knew there had to be some people on the strut who went to the CIA or knew some people.

SOULSTRUT GOT SOME BALLS, SON!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I thought of this article:

???Top Chef??? Dreams Crushed by Student Loan Debt

I don't mean to discourage if you are really into it, or have money, but I hear it is an especially tough gig to be successful with.

• my cutie homegirl goes to the cia in napa. she's paying something like 25grand for a 9 month course. i dont think its worth it.

i try and stay in contact with her cuz this kinda shit interests me. it sounds like a really good program and i remember she actually toured a bunch of these cooking schools and decided on cia. she deals in pastries and bread which u kinda really do need to go to chemistry class and shit for. i mean, if u want that good shit. but the job prospects are pretty horrible once you are out. i think cia tries and hook u up with a job but no ones getting paid off food except these celebrity chef folks.

• im sure she's hated here but rachel ray didnt go to cooking school and she's eating some effen cake! especially since every other sorority girl is dropping thousands of dollars just to be a sous chef at the wolfgang puck airport restaurant.

• i dont even have to read that link to second my caution...
    restaurant business is super demanding, high risk and stereotypically has a glass ceiling for women chefs

that being said, follow your interests. cia is very well known. they recently released a book about their "Bootcamps" (mikefreedomrock donated it to my youth program!) you may want to check that out

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

SOULSTRUT GOT SOME BALLS, SON!

I'll dip my balls in your mouth tea-bag stylee Elise. Fuck Alice and Edith. I gets sloppy seconds after Moark.

will you? is this a promise? Man, IM so excited! Can NOT wait. OMG, can't wait to tell my girlfriends!

ACTUALLY!

Can they join us? That would be so hot.

But Mylatency, yeah, i can't ever tell what he is saying, truthfully.

haha.

srsly dude fuck off...it's so obvious you don't know how to use your dick, waiting next to your computer, refreshing it, waiting for someone to pick a fight with you, saddle-ass.

like, ew and stuffz.

any way back to my og post...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i dont even have to read that link to second my caution...
    restaurant business is super demanding, high risk and stereotypically has a glass ceiling for women chefs

that being said, follow your interests. cia is very well known. they recently released a book about their "Bootcamps" (mikefreedomrock donated it to my youth program!) you may want to check that out

Believe me, I have kept in mind how hard it will be. I honestly want a challenge with something I love, and again I feel like I am going through a midlife crisis, YET trying to figure ME out. Shit aint easy, thats what makes it valid and true.

To keep it record related

It has been a a real bitch to be a female, as myself, to be a dj or a "digger". I am by no means like the people who dig or sell up in here (or in the real world..HA!), but I have caught a few dudes trying to overcharge me a record because he thought i was naive. Cough, daves records, cough. And some local spots here too. Ultimate Spinach for $30?! PAH-LEASE. MAYBE IM CRAZY. But then again, im buying Ultimate Spinach! (HoLLUR CRINK!! HA!)

BUT, I'm ready. Im so mutha FUKKIN ready.

Also, I am not looking to become a top chef or even a chef. I keeps that shit at home . I am looking into doing Pastry Chef and think that would be more up my league. Im more interested in desserts and plating.

I have this idea with using duck fat to make a lemon tart with sea salt. I'm gonna be working on that at home. I'll try to post pics once its done!

I REALLY[/b] appreciate the reality and discussion of experiences people have had with this field. thats what i am looking for here.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    anyways...

So I remember a while back that there a teacher here who taught nutrition (tripledouble??) and I also had some interest in that as well. I always thought it would be a great class to have, especially in our society, the US of A!

How many people here actually work in kitchens? I would think if you did you wouldn't be able to poast that much!

And again I thank those who kept this thread on topic and gave me some ideas about what really goes down. Honesty is golden.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

here herm...lemme do it...

IGOR,

Can we drop the titties things already? It's really not that witty or genius .

the end.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I also found that there is a CIA in California. Is it true that Hyde Park is a better choice?

Hyde Park is better. I've worked with kids who've been through the Greystone campus, and from what I've gathered it's not nearly as rigorous. Still, you do end up with the same degree and you get to live in wine country.

I wouldn't worry about the gender issues, especially if you're going into baking/pastry. Even if you think you might work the hot side, I still wouldn't worry about that too much.

The thing about culinary school is that it teaches you just enough to not embarrass yourself in a fine dining kitchen. You still have to spend a couple years at the bottom if you really want to challenge yourself at top restaurant.

I graduated with several people who felt a sense of entitlement about having a CIA degree, but that piece of paper is getting common nowadays.

Again, I could go on and on.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Agreed, the titties thing is not that witty nor genius, so why did you floss those pictures of yourself like an attention whore?

It's the oldest profession in the world, Elise, and for the first ten days you posted here, you were selling yourself out like one of soufriere1's crack-whores with what, like 2000 posts?

Fall back, hateur.

wow, i bet you get laid alot, huh buddy?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Living with a woman helps me with the puccini, as TheMack might say.

Doesn't your mom ever get tired of introducing you to girls?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Is this thing on?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey, good luck with your new endeavors Elise.