What's The Best Way To Punish a Male Cheater? (SR)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Let a black woman be made an example of:Former Olympic champion Marion Jones sentenced to 6 months for lying to investigators By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press WriterJanuary 11, 2008WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite her plea that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time." "I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be," said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced. The disgraced former Olympic champion was ordered to surrender March 11 to begin her term. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under her plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship." "Athletes in society have an elevated status, they entertain, they inspire, and perhaps, most important, they serve as role models," Karas said. The 31-year-old Jones also was given two years' probation and supervised release, during which she will be required to perform 800 hours of community service. The judge said this would take advantage of Jones' "eloquence, strength and her ability to work with kids." It was her children that worried Jones most as she beseeched the judge for a lighter sentence, talking at length about her two boys, including the infant son she's still nursing. "My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes." The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports. She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam. They include Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was to be sentenced later Friday. After her guilty pleas last October, Jones made an apologetic and teary-eyed statement outside court, saying, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust." "I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," she added. "I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. ... I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me." Jones returned her Olympic medals -- golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronzes in the long jump and 400-meter relay -- even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so and wiped her results from the books. Jones was among the many athletes who testified in 2003 before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. On the day she pleaded guilty, prosecutors said a 2003 search warrant at BALCO uncovered ledgers, purchases, doping calendars, and various blood-test results connected to Jones and former coach Trevor Graham. She took EPO, human growth hormone and THG using drops and injections, according to the court documents that show use in 2000 and 2001. [/b]I feel this is some okey doke bullshit. She needed the max? Really?

Comments

• Sounds to me like the check cashing fraud was more serious than the steroid use... Fuckin' with the money?

• i don't know if prison was necessary but she should have gotten fined millions of dollars. think about all the fame and endorsements she got. that is everything to olympic athletes, who mostly are a bunch of unknowns, outside their sports enthusiasts.

if the drugs helped her get that little edge that pushed her from the bronze to the gold, she basically robbed whatever celebrity and fortune she got as a result of her gold from some other athlete who deserved it.

if this shit just happened like last week, maybe we could turn back the clock a little, and the second place finisher could get some shine. this happened YEARS ago. btw, does anyone remember who came in second to Ben Johnson in '88? i don't.

actully i do, wasn't it carl lewis?

• I'm curious as to what will happen to Roger Clemens, if anything.

• I will agree.. that judge is a prick.. please with all that maximum shit... They better let her out early. I think driving drunk is a worse offense... Paris got 4 days.. I say Marion gets the same.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I smell Race.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I smell Race.

bullshit, i smell million dollar check fraud.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Maybe she should appeal on the Libby commutation defense?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm curious as to what will happen to Roger Clemens, if anything.

Clemens is innocent.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm curious as to what will happen to Roger Clemens, if anything.

Clemens is innocent.

Please be serious.

I smell Race.

bullshit, i smell million dollar check fraud.

admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement [/b]

Was she involved or she lyed about knowing of Montgomery's involvement?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sounds to me like the check cashing fraud was more serious than the steroid use...

Sounds to me like the check cashing fraud was more serious than the steroid use...

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under her plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship."[/b]

• I'm curious as to what will happen to Roger Clemens, if anything.

Clemens is innocent.

so is Barry Bonds.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Serious-she's nursing her baby? Jeezus. Why punish an infant because her mother--oh my--lied[/b]?

Really.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My daughter was just playing with Marion's oldest son a couple of months back at a wedding of a mutual friend. Anyway, while I realize that Marion should definitely have to pay somehow for her past transgressions, she has since married a really good dude in Obadele Thompson and is now basically living a very dedicated family life. Point being, I'd really hate to see all of that disrupted.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    taking a mother away from her infant son and putting her in jail really is a good way to set an axample for the kids though.

i mean, its all about the children. think of all the good that will come from her sitting in jail.

maybe she can use some of the millions she stoled in check fraud to pay for a sitter.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    While athletes should be reprimanded by their league for steroid use, there is no way that it should be punishable with jail time.

Selling, distributing, or making steroids on the other hand is a whole different story.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    taking a mother away from her infant son and putting her in jail really is a good way to set an axample for the kids though.

i mean, its all about the children. think of all the good that will come from her sitting in jail.

So who is it exactly that should be setting a good example for 'the children"??

• While athletes should be reprimanded by their league for steroid use, there is no way that it should be punishable with jail time.

Selling, distributing, or making steroids on the other hand is a whole different story.

she didnt get jail time for steroids but for lying to the feds. so if you're gonna buy a "Free Marion" tshirt, make sure it says "Free Scooter" on the back, actually, scratch that, Bush already took care of it.

maybe she can use some of the millions she stoled in check fraud to pay for a sitter.

So she did make millions from check fraud?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

No. She knew of one of her baby daddy's involvement in a check cashing scam. Prosecutors recommended a sentence varying from probation to 6 months and this judge decides to take out the ills of professional sports on her.

No. She knew of one of her baby daddy's involvement in a check cashing scam. Prosecutors recommended a sentence varying from probation to 6 months and this judge decides to take out the ills of professional sports on her.

Race/Sex/Social Climate?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Race/Sex/Social Climate?

Kenneth Karas, White Plains, US District Court Judge
    I'm not even saying that she didn't deserve some time, but the maximum? Gimme a break. This is some sanctimonious bullshit.

• maybe she can use some of the millions she stoled in check fraud to pay for a sitter.

Ahh, so she wasn't involved directly, but she became involved by not telling the truth when questioned by the feds. So again, she got in trouble for lying. She was in tune with the Stop Snitching code, apparently. Jail time still seems excessive for the charges. Bonds lied to the feds, did he go to jail?

A Bush appointee.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Bonds lied to the feds, did he go to jail?

Not yet. He's been indicted, though, and I wager he'll serve some time.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    bottom line, in America today they will put anybody in jail for just about anything.

Seriously, what is up with all the jail shit these days?

$eriously, what i$ up with all the jail $hit the$e day$?