Using USA Audio Gear in Europe

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Quick question for the European Strutters - I'm selling my MPC 60 to a guy in Germany who want to know what kind of converter/transformer he needs in order for it to work there - any advice on what he needs? Where's a good place to buy these things?

Comments

• cant you just use a standard kettle lead?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Sorry but I've never been to Europe, what's a kettle lead?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Bump. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    He'll just need a transformer. A 'kettle' (or iecc plug I think it's called) is no good because the 60 doesn't use them, and the 60 doesn't have a transformer in there. US power is 110V/60hz and Germany uses 240V/50hz I think. So just let him know he'll need a converter and he'll be fine. Advise him not to get a cheap/shit one 'cause the 60 is worth taking care of.

I bought a 60 over from the states and used a converter in Australia with no problems, and our power is the same as Europe.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    what he said. Germany is 220V/50hz, you simply need a proper converter and these things are not hard to find in electronic shops or in the internet.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Let your customer know he'll have to make an unpleasent visit at the customs.
    Last time I had a MPC shipped to Germany they asked me for 400$ in taxes...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    only ad is europe is 50hz. and the us 60hz.
    make sure this dont effect your gear. turntables and tape decks dont opperate proper with the 10hz. diverence ( electric motors ).

And its easier to buy transformers that tf straight from 230V. to the dc voltage you need.

transformers that tf 230V. into 110V. are expensive. about E130,00 with a max power of 100W. they go up in price as with the power (Watts).