Digging in Portland (& general area)

ShavedpennyShavedpenny 10 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Any advice where to begin? I have predominately dug on the East Coast and have yet to venture into the Pacific Northwest to unearth some treasures. All I have as of now is a place called "Sonic Recollections". I will only be around for three days and not looking to waste any time ...Good Looking!

Comments

• Just came back from there a couple weeks back...

Mandatory stop is Crossroads - 3130 SE Hawthorne

Never made it to Jump Jump but Laserwolf who's on this board is by all accounts that dude - 7005 NE Prescott

Everyday Music downtown (1313 W Burnside) and across the river (1931 NE Sandy) have plenty of records but that shit looked pretty picked through when I was there.

Grab one of those guides to Portland independent record stores. I got one downtown at Jackpot (203 SW 9th Ave).

There are a gang of records stores in that town. Have fun and knock town a pint at that Tugboat Brewery for me.

• All right then ...

Thanks for the direction. I have been lurking on these boards for a minute now and this trip left me in need of advice. It was about time to get involved. I hit a soul night here last evening, threw back a couple of Hamms (is it?), but now its time to get down to it. The next Tugboat is on me my friend ...

• Yeah, Everyday Music is your run-of-the-mill New & Used Vinyl & CD spot. Occasionally some things will come through, but for the most part it's nothing special.

I fully cosign on Crossroads and Jump-Jump!

More often than not, there are good DJs spinning at XV, just south of Burnside on 1st in downtown. Mr. Jeigh (a veteran Soulstrutter) is definitely one to catch if you can!

Also, stop by Voodoo Doughnuts between 10pm and 10am. Just south of Burnside on 3rd (I think).

And now, my graemlin dedication to Portland:

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Jump-Jump!

This place was the spot. Just be careful because the way the records are set up, it's real easy to knock those flimsy cardboard things down. Great slections of records @ moderate prices, but you get what you pay for. Most of the records in their where clean.

• Whoa!

More than enough info the previous posting - My Bad ... Fine Cuisine, Record Spots, Hot Night spots, what does Soul Strut not have?!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The new shit cuisine-wise is Toro Bravo (near Mississippi Records). Just won restaurant of the year. You will have the meal of a lifetime and can get out of there for less than $30.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Jump Jump
    Go there (but call Laserwolf before you do it).