at what AGE should rappers RETIRE?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
just wondering. were getting into uncharted territory with folks like chuck d and ice t. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I think they should all keep going like the rolling stones.

Saw Big Daddy Kane a while ago and he was still killin it.

It could evolve into its own genre, like 'oap school' or something.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Definitely by 100.

Preferably by 30.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    It could evolve into its own genre, like 'oap school' or something.

It's comin ...

It's comin ...

It's comin ...

It's comin ...

It's here

It's here

It's here.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Question:

Who is the oldest (real) rapper that is still recording?

Chuck D? Rakim?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I'm guessing Rev Run is older than either one of those dudes.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Rev Run is older than either one of those dudes.

Ahh ... turned 40 last year. So is Adam Yauch. I'm on the HUNT .....

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    KRS is 40 now too. I dunno if that number can be beat by a WORKING rapper.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Melle Mel is 43

So is Kool Moe Dee

Fab Five Freddy is 46

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Agreed, agreed - but those doods ain't made anything in YEARS. (Unless I missed something!?!?!?)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Don't forget about Jocko Henderson, though. Dude was like 60+ (a senior citizen, basically) when he pressed his first rap 12"s. And they were hot!

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    yeah I saw KRS-One last Thursday he can still pretty much tear a place down.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Don't forget about Jocko Henderson, though. Dude was like 60+ (a senior citizen, basically) when he pressed his first rap 12"s. And they were hot!

Yup, Jocko was about 67 when Rhythm Talk came out. I think best retirement age for a lot of rappers would be around the onset of puberty.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    yeah I saw KRS-One last Thursday he can still pretty much tear a place down.
    too bad his recording material is hurting something awful

i'll go with 70
    ...let me know if I win.

• how old is Guru?

• I'd say that most rappers have either 5 good singles or 3 good albums in them, after which they should retire to spare themselves from humiliation and us from dissapointments...

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    As long as they can still do, age shouldn't matter too much. I saw Grandmaster Caz perfrom at Vassar a few months back, and he was straight killin' it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    how old is Guru?

38 or 39

The recent issue of Pound Magazine has a pretty good run-down of some of the biggest rappers' birthdays and when they put out their first release. Bottom line - unless there's some sort of explosion, the future doesn't look good. Unless dudes out there right now keep rappin til they're 100.

• 38 or 39

hehehe it was kind of a rhetorical question...when you start acting like the Guru of present, it's time to hang up.

i agree though! the future does not look good. I might also say that subject matter might/should be a determinant.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

hehehe it was kind of a rhetorical question...when you start acting like the Guru of present, it's time to hang up.

no doubt his rants about Young Guru stealin his name are totally on some "you darn kids don't know what it was like in my day! when I was your age I had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow to get to the studio!" shit.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Agreed, agreed - but those doods ain't made anything in YEARS. (Unless I missed something!?!?!?)

Agreed...

But Melle Mel is still out touring all the time. Tryin' to grab the mic whenever someone will let him. He can still turn a party out.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    That single Big Daddy Kane did a couple years back with alchemist ..He was spittin flames..He still has one of the nicer flows no matter what age.

• Question:

Who is the oldest (real) rapper that is still recording?

Chuck D? Rakim?

i think even when PE was in their heyday chuck was pretty old. they always tried to mask his age and make it a non factor in the music. i would venture to guess chuck d is around 45.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Old rappers dont' need to retire, they just need to make 'grown folk rap' instead of trying to sound like kids again. Their audience has grown up too, so shit... do it. I cant be listening to kiddie rap in my 30s anyways, i need some grown folk rap in my life right now.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    That single Big Daddy Kane did a couple years back with alchemist ..He was spittin flames..He still has one of the nicer flows no matter what age.

he ripped it on the jurassic 5 album too. him AND percee p. both those dudes are much nicer than anyone thats "hot" right now.
    they don't get the burn they deserve because everything is focused on someone's image (which i think is but that's me). hopefully, sooner than later, we'll get back to what's important..the music.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    btw, Kane and Percee P are fucking nasty on the mic.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Jay-Z is 42.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

like an hour ago I got the promo for new Rev. Run's solo single. WEAK SHIT. It's on Russel Simons Music Group, which logo looks exactly like EPMD. WTF????!?!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

like an hour ago I got the promo for new Rev. Run's solo single. WEAK SHIT. It's on Russel Simons Music Group, which logo looks exactly like EPMD. WTF????!?!

ya that single is quite lacking...

however, DJ Green Lantern (of being a g-unit rat fame) dropped a tape a few months ago with a Rev Run joint that was real hot. GL sampled kanye west on the beat, but rev killed it imo. i was hoping for more of that...

heres the tape: DJ Green Lantern - 5 Star General
    ill upload the track when i get off work if people are interested...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts