wearing down old crusties, how to?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I just won an LP from a local guy on the bay and went to pick it up tonight. Turns out he's a guy in his late 50s with a house full of records. He tells me he's mainly into japanese psych these days and has too many records to know what to do with, thus the ebay auctions. I mention I mainly am into soul 45s and he tells me he's got a basement full of them just sitting around waiting to be ebayed BUT... he wants to ebay his 20 million LPs first. Then he grabs a small, random stack of 45s on his mantle and like, the very first one is a local $200 soul funk rarity Judging by the way he reads the label its totally obvious that he's never even looked at it before, much less played it, much less enjoyed playing it. I offer him cash on the spot, I even tell him what it worth mint. but OF COURSE, if you've dealt with these guys you know that its just not in their blood to do that sort of thing. He's committed to putting it on ebay "someday". yeah, right. Same goes for all the other piles of records laying around his house. Basically I NEED to get into that basement or those 45s will never again see the light of day. Anyone got any tips on how to disarm a guy like this?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Stake it out, then break in, grab bags full & run. Or wait until he dies & scoop the estate sale.... In all seriousness, because he is gripping so hard you'll probably never get to see those records. He'll also probably never get around to ebaying them either. Catch 22. Sorry man. I've been working on a guy here with a similar tale, I've been to house numerous times & each time he has a different pile of soul/funk LPs that are fire sitting in his lounge, but I am never allowed into the room where the LPs are supposedly stored

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    dude, it all starts with hanging out and listening to records...

• i'll just usually pass these types along to other record nerds i know that have patience for this. i cant be bothered. hell, im not that into records anyways.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

But really maybe tell the guy how ebay isn't the place to sell those rare 45's. Get outraged and tell him "American music should stay in America, too many of those great obscure records end up overseas in the hands of god knows who"!!!
    I said that once & it kinda of worked for me.

• find some japanese psych and trade with him

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    find some japanese psych and trade with him

Duh, just go down to your local japanese psych store....

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    find some japanese psych and trade with him

Duh, just go down to your local japanese psych store....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Get outraged and tell him "American music should stay in America, too many of those great obscure records end up overseas in the hands of god knows who"!!!
    I said that once & it kinda of worked for me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    what no-name actor has Britney hooked up with now?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    There is 2 of these jerk off dudes here in town. One guy will NEVER EVER sell and you will NEVER EVER get anything off of him. He has been claiming for over 5 years now he just has to get around to it. This other dude is giving in though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I thought that this was another "I love grandma McCain" thread.

You can see most of them here: http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    You could offer to ebay them FOR him... He's in his 50s now, tell him otherwise he'll be dead before he ever benefits from having them.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    This thread title redicules me deeply.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    This thread title redicules me deeply.

How deep?

B/W

New and improved Crusty Bacon.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    oh no. please. don't!

BW

Damnit! I missed my 666th post

• just pm me dude;s address and phone number, i will extract the records for you and sell them to you at a reasonable markup.

real talk.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wow, crusties have become quite the thing around here, huh? That other "old collector" thread went on for forever-and-one days and now this...

• Chances are that you are gripping at least as hard as he is.

Grippeurs never win and winners never gripp.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Stake it out, then break in, grab bags full & run.

When I was in 8th grade, 2 of my friends broke into the garage of another friend of ours so that they could steal his older brother's best baseball cards. So not only did they break in the first time to grab the box from the rafters, they also broke in again that same night to return the box after they had purged it of all of its heat.

I was like damn, y'all did that? That's crazy.

Then shortly thereafter...

Shoot, how come y'all didn't get me in on it?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Chances are that you are gripping at least as hard as he is.

crusty dudes like this get off on record fiends gripping hard - it makes them feel special & thats more important than the $$$ or music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I might have to get this tattooed above my dark side tramp stamp.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sometimes your photo montages make no sense to me at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sometimes your photo montages make no sense to me at all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This guy waxes his torso except the line of stomach pubes, yet manages to make that line crooked?

thats some strange ish.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Chances are that you are gripping at least as hard as he is.

You're only half right. I grip. But I don't grip for gripping's sake.