learning new languages

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
i want to learn another language fluently (french or spanish) and/or improve my very rudimentary vietnamese. what methods have worked for you?the rosetta stone software is way more expensive compared to other ones i've seen ($500 for a 3 level bundle) has anyone here actually tried it? the 6 month money back guarantee makes me curious if it really works.

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    i want to learn another language fluently (french or spanish) and/or improve my very rudimentary vietnamese. what methods have worked for you?

the rosetta stone software is way more expensive compared to other ones i've seen ($500 for a 3 level bundle) has anyone here actually tried it? the 6 month money back guarantee makes me curious if it really works.

I don't have much direct experience but there are hella free learn a language podcasts. I bet they're hit and miss but you can't beat the price.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Find a group of people locally who meet up and speak the language together. Human interaction is the only way to really learn a language properly.

Also, if you want to learn Portugese, there's a pretty substantial Brazilian population in San Francisco. Je parle Fran??ais aussi, mais le Portug??s est meilleur.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    It only has been a year and a half or so when I started to seriously make an effort to pick up where I left off from basic high school Spanish. This has helped me to understand the logic and so forth behind the language. It's not intended to be a textbook/dictionary, keep in mind.

While I'm far from fluent, I know it's all about remembering the verb structures and tenses that go with it (-ar, -er/-ir verbs with all the combinations of past and present) and all sorts of oddities (pronoun placement, usage of "to"/"for", etc.). The rest is just picking up words as you go along. And confidence to practice with fluent speakers who won't make you embarassed when you slip up or struggle.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I speak english & french. I live in Montreal, so french is all around me. Honestly, my french was awful for years. What helped me improve was watching soaps & popular french shows, along with reading the french tabloids. I got the idea about the soaps from Mario Lemieux. That's how he learnt english, apparently. I did my university degree in Russian language. For practice, we had to watch a south american soap called "Manuela" dubbed into russian. That was a burnt show, but it helped, I guess. I've tried to improve my Yiddish, but I don't have the patience. Dedication & persistance is key.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I've tried to improve my Yiddish

Wait, really? How'd you learn to speak it in the first place?

• im a fan of the immersion method. plus i dont really read so its my only option.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I've got the Greek Rosetta Stone. Its a great tool so long as you do it regularly. Although it should be noted that its an extremely bare bones program. They basically just toss you into the pool without any instructions how to swim. I definately recommend it, but only along with a dual-language dictionary, and a small book that explains grammar concepts, etc...

• I've got the Rosetta Stone DVD ... not the brand new Level 3 but I've got all (?) languages at Level 1, many at 2. It's pretty helpful but I have not used it enough.

You learn by educated guessing rather than memorization. After hearing/reading a word, you must select the corresponding image from a group of 4. The questions build upon themselves and soon you learn phrases, etc. There also seems to be lessons where your pronunciation is tested, but I have not tried that.

I agree that a grammar guide is a good supplement, as it's hard to pick spelling/usage rules simply by observation.

A speaking group would be very good too of course.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I've got the Rosetta Stone DVD ... not the brand new Level 3 but I've got all (?) languages at Level 1, many at 2. It's pretty helpful but I have not used it enough.

You learn by educated guessing rather than memorization. After hearing/reading a word, you must select the corresponding image from a group of 4. The questions build upon themselves and soon you learn phrases, etc. There also seems to be lessons where your pronunciation is tested, but I have not tried that.

yeah supposedly Rosetta Stone is great for visual learners which i am. i took 3 years of spanish and hardly retained anything. i already have french and spanish grammar guides that i could use to supplement and my pal is talking about splitting the cost of a rosetta stone bundle. i'm still on the fence about it.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

I actually studied Yiddish in college. Couldn't retain shit though, could mumble a couple words with my grandfather for a little bit before I forgot most of it.

All the Rosetta Stones are floating around the internet. I'd suggest...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    My Spanish-speaking girlfriend has been invaluable in helping me learn her language. I now know how to say things like "Hijo de la chingada!" "no empieces!" "Terco!" y "Pinche Guerro!"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i want to learn another language fluently (french or spanish) and/or improve my very rudimentary vietnamese. what methods have worked for you?

the rosetta stone software is way more expensive compared to other ones i've seen ($500 for a 3 level bundle) has anyone here actually tried it? the 6 month money back guarantee makes me curious if it really works.

The rosetta stone is THE BEST language software available and I've used quite a bit.

$500? Grab yourself a copy of uTorrent (pc) or Transmission (mac & linux).

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

The rosetta stone is THE BEST language software available and I've used quite a bit.

i couldn't find version 3. i don't how to find what i'm looking for now without demonoid.

i couldn't find version 3. i don't how to find what i'm looking for now without demonoid.

Try mininova.org or the pirate bay.

Or try Isohunt

Or try Isohunt

Iff'n I'm not mistaken Isohunt wasn't being pressured to release IP's recently?

Isohunt includes multiple trackers in its .torrent files, but I don't think it acts as a tracker itself. So, I don't know how they would know anyone's ip address.

Isohunt includes multiple trackers in its .torrent files, but I don't think it acts as a tracker itself. So, I don't know how they would know anyone's ip address.

That might be right, I've never gotten anything from there.

• i want to learn another language fluently (french or spanish) and/or improve my very rudimentary vietnamese. what methods have worked for you?

For learning Spanish the roestta stone is great for vocabulary but not so hot on verb usage. The program puts everything in the pronoun-verb form (i think that's what it is; i'm no grammar wiz), so for an example in English the program would teach you "He walks" or "I walk", however in Spanish you would just essentially say 'walk' (caminando). That is the only problem with it.

So that basically resounds with what everyone else is saying, actually using the language with humans is the best route. I've learned more speaking to my girlfriend then through the rosetta stone.

• im a fan of the immersion method.

Co-signal, immersion is the only way to pick up contextual nuances in a language, but its tough because adults, as patient as they might seem, eventually become frustrated. See if you can volunteer in a big brother/sister program, and ask for a kid (younger than 12) who speaks the language you want to learn. Kids never get tired of correcting you, and it'll start to irk you that your being made fun of, so you'll be motivated to learn faster.

I, while fluent in Spanish, am now suffering from "use it or lose it." Most of the people I socialize with only speak English so I hardly get to speak spanish. I have been going the soap opera route to freshen up my vocabulary. Its been working very well, especially because I found the dope soap called Decisiones on Telemundo. Its great because the whole story plays out in a hour or two and if you miss an episode it doesn't matter. It has also reminded me of colorful phrases like "Lesbiana perturbada!" (disturbed lesbian), never know when you're going to need that one!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

My minor was in Jewish studies. It tied into my major (Russian Lit) very well. I took some college classes in yiddish so that I could read Yiddish lit in the OG. While I found it cool, learning 2 languages in college was a hell of a lot & I stuck with Russian.

Language groups are cool. I did volunteer work with Russian seniors. Taught them english in exchange for Russian language pratice. When my Russian got better, I was a volunteer translator in a hospital for a few years. Now, all my russian is good for is hitting on hot Russian chicks & listening in on conversations on the subway. I never use it anymore.