selling reggae on ebay

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
is this as big a nightmare as i imagine it being?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It cant be half as bad as buying it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    what is the problem? list the item, sell the item , receive the payment, ship the item.

done.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    well a lot of shit plays worse than it looks, i don't want to ship a bunch of shit overseas and have an onslaught of unhappy buyers...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i'm worried about OCD grippeurs who don't understand the nature of Jamaican pressings.

• If you are accurate in your descriptions you have nothing to worry about.

It would've been better if you had this shit 2 years ago, but there's still money to be made

Sometimes people think any old reggae record is rare, but you have to have some sought after shit for real at this point. And condition is an issue... but if it's a bad press just state that. Soundclips are helpful.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    If you are accurate in your descriptions you have nothing to worry about.

It would've been better if you had this shit 2 years ago, but there's still money to be made

Sometimes people think any old reggae record is rare, but you have to have some sought after shit for real at this point. And condition is an issue... but if it's a bad press just state that. Soundclips are helpful.

Mr. Paycheck speaks wise. If you grade reggae records as you would ANY other type of record (and specifically let the buyer know that in the listing) they will be happy. Many reggae sellers are definite up-graders and they will love you for being honest (and will usually pay properly as well)

Also, if you have blank label releases list the catalogue #'s from the dead wax. This helps the heads identify if you don't have a sound clip.

Cheers....

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    At least a third of the reggae I've been bidding on gets bid up by small increments by zero feedback users. Making a record that should've cost me $20 now cost $50. Much to the delight of the seller I'm sure. Sell away!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    If you are accurate in your descriptions you have nothing to worry about.

^^^^^^^
    True true.

I'm always completely upfront about pressing issues ie. looks NM but plays VG with light noise throughout etc etc. I've sold stuff for good money even in this condition.

• There are a lot of jokers bidding on reggae right now.

Young dudes and thieves.

Definitely worth enforcing the "may require registration/insurance on packages over $$$..." etc type of rule.

But the real headz do know the deals and if you are honest about the records you will get bids. Reggae collectors understand about bad pressings and such.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

JP you feel the reggae market has bottomed out a bit?
    Seems to still be fairly strong to me, but you move alot more product, own a shop etc etc.
    I hope you are right though....
    Let the pedestrians keep on walking to the new "hot genre".

• I think the reggae market has been refined somewhat; I used to sell fairly common 12"s for more money and even scarce records are less desirable the more they turn up online. In my world, more people are getting into it... so of course more records will find their way to ebay, thus driving the average price down.

• Mr. Paycheck speaks wise. If you grade reggae records as you would ANY other type of record (and specifically let the buyer know that in the listing) they will be happy.

All items conservatively graded with no exception for Jamaican-ness.