Farley JM Funk "Funkin With Drums Again" question

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
The original press of this is the red trax label correct? Is there a boot?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The original press of this is the red trax label correct? Is there a boot?

If it's on Trax, Larry Sherman probably booted them himself.

Joking aside, I always though the o.g's of that were on the black Trax label. Most of the early releases on Trax (c. 85/86) that I've ever owned or come across were black label. I think the red label joints were from '87 onwards. My copy of "Acid Trax" is an o.g, and that's a red label.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I remember ripping this a couple of years ago. I think my copy was a test press tho. But yeah, that was released on Trax and was one of the labels firsts releases.

There are boots of it out there also.

• The original press of this is the red trax label correct? Is there a boot?

If it's on Trax, Larry Sherman probably booted them himself.

Joking aside, I always though the o.g's of that were on the black Trax label. Most of the early releases on Trax (c. 85/86) that I've ever owned or come across were black label. I think the red label joints were from '87 onwards. My copy of "Acid Trax" is an o.g, and that's a red label.

Thanks much.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I think there's a black label issue as well...There are probably acetates or dub plates out there...
    I'd love to get a look at Frankie Knuckles' or maw's collection...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    We've seen red, white and black label pressings of it. Ever notice how theres like paper and shit stuck inside the grooves of alot of Trax shit? Dudes have told me stories of hanging out while the records were getting pressed, and that dude Larry would be all sloppily eating sandwiches over the lathe and pieces would fall in to the vinyl.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    We've seen red, white and black label pressings of it. Ever notice how theres like paper and shit stuck inside the grooves of alot of Trax shit? Dudes have told me stories of hanging out while the records were getting pressed, and that dude Larry would be all sloppily eating sandwiches over the lathe and pieces would fall in to the vinyl.

I heard that the story behind that was that Larry Sherman was a notorious tightwad who pressed up just about everything Trax ever released on the cheapest recycled vinyl he could find, hence the notoriously poor sound quality on so many of the early Trax releases. The bits of paper are the labels from all those records that perished in order that Adonis' "No Way Back" could live...

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    is Farley still worth checking out live? a friend passed this on but i'm not in Chicago.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

I heard that the story behind that was that Larry Sherman was a notorious tightwad who pressed up just about everything Trax ever released on the cheapest recycled vinyl he could find, hence the notoriously poor sound quality on so many of the early Trax releases. The bits of paper are the labels from all those records that perished in order that Adonis' "No Way Back" could live...

That's what I've heard too re: recycled vinyl.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

Yeah thats the way I heard it.

Trax studio complex is now home to R.Kelly.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Trax studio complex is now home to R.Kelly.

Really? I didn't know that. The weirdness/sheistyness lives on in that place.