Digital Picture Frames

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
has anyone actually seen these in someone's housethey look so tacky and it boggles my mind how expensive they are

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    has anyone actually seen these in someone's house

they look so tacky and it boggles my mind how expensive they are

Um...my sister got me one of those for Xmas. It's not that bad (tacky-wise) but then again, we only use it when company is over.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    That's quite a quirky idea. No thanks.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yikes! sorry, o. i saw these at target and they were like $200! i don't understand that at all.

• Options
    has anyone actually seen these in someone's house

they look so tacky and it boggles my mind how expensive they are

Um...my sister got me one of those for Xmas. It's not that bad (tacky-wise) but then again, we only use it when company is over.

Umm...I got that EXACT one for Christmas, mine came without the photo of the Becky Triumvirate though. Hiding the wire makes a big difference and reduces the tackiness level immeasurably. I finally set mine up yesterday, it's pretty cool. Holds 100 or so pictures and doesn't look bad at all.

I've been in places where people had their laptops or desktop monitors running slideshows in the background, I like this better.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i got my moms the Philips for Chrstmas '06 and she still wont shut up about how great it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-8-Inch-Dig...99917759&sr=8-2

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Becky Triumvirate

Becky Triumvirate

Becky Triumvirate

Becky Triumvirate

Becky Triumvirate

Becky Triumvirate

^^^^^^^^^^ Damn near made me do a spit-take.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It was one of the biggest xmas purchases this year. Looking at CES, get ready for tonssss more to drop.

• my brother bought one for my grandma. It's kind of cool for someone who knows nothing about technology. She's not all jaded and into cool tech things. For her, it's a bunch of pictures that change. It's kind of cool in that aspect.

Not to say you are all jaded. I think it works for a certain demographic, which is probably not ours.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Um...my sister got me one of those for Xmas. It's not that bad (tacky-wise)

Oh, yes it is!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    my brother got my moms one last year... its not that tacky but i wouldn't have one...

Oh, yes it is!

What exactly makes it tacky? Who still shoots with film? To me, the device makes sense as a consumer item.

My main complaint with it is that the resolution on the screen is kind of weak; if they really want this to look like a "real" pic frame, they need to step that up.

I'm pretty sure mine didn't cost $200; my guess is that it's more like $100. That's still pretty expensive but you're basically buying a 9" LCD screen.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I think it works for a certain demographic, which is probably not ours.

"Kirk, crackers are a family food. Happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers...we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without."

• Options
    my brother bought one for my grandma. It's kind of cool for someone who knows nothing about technology. She's not all jaded and into cool tech things. For her, it's a bunch of pictures that change. It's kind of cool in that aspect.

Not to say you are all jaded. I think it works for a certain demographic, which is probably not ours.

I don't know man, I'm probably in your demographic and it works for me just fine. I'm like your grandma, not all jaded and stuff. I like the pictures that change.

Oh, yes it is!

What exactly makes it tacky? Who still shoots with film? To me, the device makes sense as a consumer item.

well for me, i think it looks more like a little tv then a picture frame. also something doesn't seem right about the image quality. it doesn't compare to a real photo at all, and it doesn't have anything to do with film vs digital. printed digital pics printed on photo paper still look better than ones projected on an lcd me thinks.

• Options

Oh, yes it is!

well for me, i think it looks more like a little tv then a picture frame.

HAHAHA!!!! That's 'cause your picture frames are probably all handmade, ridiculously awesome, are made to look like diaramoamas, and contain professional grade photos of lightweight mexican wrestlers in a trailer park!

• I don't know man, I'm probably in your demographic and it works for me just fine. I'm like your grandma, not all jaded and stuff. I like the pictures that change.

no, I'm with you. I don't think I'd drop the loot on it, but it would be fine with me. I just meant that to someone like my grandma it's cool. She doesn't really know shit about megapixels and whatnot, so to her it's exactly what it is. A bunch of pictures of her great-grandkids in one frame.

I ain't mad at that.

• Options

Oh, yes it is!

well for me, i think it looks more like a little tv then a picture frame. also something doesn't seem right about the image quality. it doesn't compare to a real photo at all, and it doesn't have anything to do with film vs digital. printed digital pics printed on photo paper still look better than ones projected on an lcd me thinks.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I think its a genius idea. If I had the money I would buy one with a cool silver frame. Do you like staring at the same pictures in your house all day?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I have one and I love it. It sits with other pictures, except this one the picture changes and so I get to see a lot of happy times go by.

Oh, yes it is!

no

I think A-Damn makes a good point about the "look" of it but I also think it's entirely dependent on the context of use and whether the primary viewers really care about the difference between photo paper and a digital display.

I mean - how many of ya'll own iPods?

in all seriousness, how do you hide the cable?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    great pron display.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

We don't, unfortunately. We just like looking at all the pictures of happy times.

great pron display.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    great pron display.

or fake record findz!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    If your picking one up. Check out the resolution. Many with something over 640 x 480 look pretty decent. Many of the older ones don't do ratio's properly.

We got one for my grandfather back a bit ago. Just over 10 inches and something like 1024 x 768 res. I scanned a ton of pics and dropped them on a 2 gig SD card and it plays really well. You can even drop video and music on it and it has a remote.

I took a video of my gramps messing around with photobooth and dropped the video on it during christmas. He flips when he puts it on and sees himself looking like an alien.

Shit, the frame even plays movies downloaded off the net HA!

But, I really think it's a good thing for seniors. They don't have to pull out photo albums any longer and their prints are safe stored away.

• Options

I have it run behind the wine refrigerator that it's sitting on top of.

When digital pic frames go wireless = A-Damn will cop!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have it run behind the wine refrigerator that it's sitting on top of.