Autopsy of an album: Buhloone Mind State

2»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    ???Ego Trippin??? (Part Two)???
    What happened to part one? Who cares?

Part one is Ultramagnetic. Am I wrong in thinking that they are tipping the hat to Ultra?

Sure - hence, the "Part Two."

yeah, I was surprised he didn't pick up on that. Oh well.

Yeah, missing that is a little .

I think it's ok if you're not aware of the Ultramagnetic MCs in this context - "Critical Beatdown" came out, what, five years before "Buhloone"?

What's wack is the "where's Part one, who cares?" dismissal. That just seems unnecessarily lazy.

Yeah, especially when there's a wikipedia article about the song, it's relation to the ultra song, & ego trippin' part 3, which was on the single.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Part one is Ultramagnetic. Am I wrong in thinking that they are tipping the hat to Ultra?

I think it's ok if you're not aware of the Ultramagnetic MCs in this context - "Critical Beatdown" came out, what, five years before "Buhloone"?

What's wack is the "where's Part one, who cares?" dismissal. That just seems unnecessarily lazy.

It just suggests the writer may have a very narrow concept of hip-hop history, even within just the NYC "golden era" niche.

• ???Ego Trippin??? (Part Two)???

!!!

Dude it is not OK to speak a damn word on rap music if you don't know Ego Trippin' (that is, part 1). What happened to knowing what the hell you're talking about?

St8 up ignorance... I can't believe you fixed your fingers to write that!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

It just suggests the writer may have a very narrow concept of hip-hop history, even within just the NYC "golden era" niche.

A lot of people who hadn't really heard much rap got on board with that record, so that they don't know their ish is no shock.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

A lot of people who hadn't really heard much rap got on board with that record, so that they don't know their ish is no shock.

Yup... but they've had 15 years to go back, listen, and learn. Surprising/disappointing that this highly creative and intriguing record could be a dead-end instead of a door-opener for listeners.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What happened to knowing what the hell you're talking about?

Since when has this rule applied to anything written in the blogosphere? That medium THRIVES on the ability of people not knowing what the hell they're talking about to have a place to talk about it.

• See I just don't buy that - you're defending this piece and in the same breath excusing its faults based on the overall informality of the internet. The internet encompasses everything from tween-helmed fanpages to serious research networks. You can't use the internet to justify or excuse the shoddy writing or poor research of someone who's asking to be taken seriously.

• or poor research of someone who's asking to be taken seriously.

I think Jonny's got a point. As mentioned before, there is a wikipedia page about ego trippin pt. 2. It says:

The song never had a "Part One". The "Part Two" in the title is a reference to Ultramagnetic MC's "Ego Trippin'".[/b]

Not that wikipedia is a definitive source, but it should have at least sparked some research. That wikipedia page is the second hit on a google search for "ego trippin"

This is some straight up nerd shit to be getting on his case over this, but then again, his article is basically some straight up nerd shit. People make mistakes, but this one is somewhat of a bad blunder. The moment he thought "where's part 1" he should have googled it. Even if it wasn't an Ultra reference, it could have just as easily been a b-side on one of De La's singles and could have possibly been a fan favorite. Saying "who cares" is just saying "I didn't bother to find out."

I dub this "Autopsygate"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    or poor research of someone who's asking to be taken seriously.

I dub this "Autopsygate"

Hmmm...I was gonna suggest "Buhloone Mindgate."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    See I just don't buy that - you're defending this piece and in the same breath excusing its faults based on the overall informality of the internet. The internet, as a concept, encompasses everything from tween-helmed fanpages to serious research networks. You can't use the internet to justify or excuse the shoddy writing or poor research of someone who's asking to be taken seriously.

By "medium" - I don't mean the internet. I'm talking about the blogosphere and more specifically, I'm talking about the blogosphere as a medium whose growth and popularity wouldn't exist if not for the fact that is has NO oversight: editorial, fact-checking or otherwise.

I'm not defending that - shit drives me nuts too - but it's merely to point out that it doesn't make sense to hold a blog to the same standards as one would hold, say, a magazine. Floodwatch isn't above criticism. I'm not defending him or his piece. I'm trying to point out that blogging - as it exists today - has never, ever valued or promoted things like accuracy or knowledge and thus, individual failures to champion either are merely reflections of the medium's limitations as a whole.

It's like going to a picnic and pointing out that the guy working the grill didn't wash his hands after sneezing.