Korean Vinyl

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Quick question to anyone in the know???Do Korean hip-hop/producers/DJs put out their releases on vinyl or only CD (in the last 5-10 years)? In Japan, a good percentage of Hip-Hop sees a vinyl release???around 50% at least for acts that have a fanbase. I learned from another Soul Strut member that in Hong Kong they don't release vinyl at all.Anyway, there are some Korean stuff I am interested in, but I was just wondering if those dudes put out vinyl.

Comments

• the only place i EVER saw vinyl in Korea was in Chungmuro [Seoul] at some hole in the wall used camera/chillout/family coffee spot. the guy had 2 crates outside his shop and it was nothing of interest to me. he had some ill range finders inside that's about it.

yo that was the wackest shit though about that country, everything revolved around mp3's...there was like 1 or 2 cd shops in the whole city

• ive never been to korea but my friends [who arent into records] have sent me pictures of record shops in seoul.

oh, and ive been finding a fair share of korean disco/boogie out here.

• Thanks for the information. But to clarify my original question, I am not asking whether you can buy records in Korea but if Korean MCs, DJs etc release any of their stuff on vinyl like a lot of artists in Japan, the US and Europe do.

If I could read Korean I am pretty sure I could find the answer to this relatively quickly, but I can't so I can't ;p

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i think DJ Soulscape had a few of his albums released on vinyl (180g Beats, Lovers etc.)

but for the past 7 or 8 years, most korean hip-hop releases were on CDs.

• i know this prolly isnt helping you at all but every korean record i own is press off center. theyre like a belt notch above a chinese press. well, thats for the older shit that is.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I can't be of much help, but I found some white label Korean hip-hop 12" (1997) in the middle of a bunch of Mantovani records recently, so I guess they released vinyl. I have to say the instro for the drug song knocks pretty hard. Amusing how they bite "Passin' Me By" a little bit. The AIDS song samples "Apache" and "It Takes Two".

I.W.B.H. "Stop 'DRUG'" I.W.B.H. "Stop 'AIDS'"

• I guess all the Koreans into hip-hop are b-boys rather than DJs or else I could get a more detailed response

• yeah pretty much man. they use to always have japanese DJ's run throguh the serious hip-hop clubs (which were a joke anyways). i saw Crush spin at like 15 some parties while i was there.

there were a couple leessang joints i really liked that i wanted to cop on wax but...

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Almost all labels stopped pressing vinyl about 10-15 years ago.

Every once in a while, someone like Soulscape will put out a record, but that almost never happens anymore.

A lot of K records from before 80s aren't the best quality, but stuff from the 80s-on are good.

I've been to a few real record stores in seoul, but they're pretty hard to find. And you can find some CD stores that carry some vinyl (but mostly jazz reissues).