Really, how many of your records are scratched?

LurkalotLurkalot 41 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
So more and more I am noticing that a percentage of my records have some pretty bad skips. I've never been too much of a condition person, but I do try to check for noticeable scratches and any nasty spots. I have started to get rid of the stuff that I bought just to sample but it really hurts if it is a "rare" record or something that I simply like. What are peoples philosophies on keeping and phasing out scratched records, do you keep them till you mint up or do you trash it right away. Or do you do like some bastards and visually grade them and put them on the ebay?

Comments

• visually grade and put on ebay

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    visually grade and put on ebay
    Man, I hate this scenario.
    As far as my collection goes, condition doesn't matter because I just buy my records to look at & to help me sleep safely at night knowing that I own them.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

THIS IS A RECORD
    IT HAS SOME SCRATCHES ON IT BUT, YOU KNOW, IT'S A RECORD
    AN OLD ONE
    I DON'T THINK THEY MAKE THESE ANYMORE
    I DON'T HAVE A TURNTABLE SO I DON'T KNOW HOW IT PLAYS
    PROBABLY PRETTY GOOD THAT'S MY GUESS
    I THINK MAYBE IT USED TO HAVE A COVER
    BUT I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE CAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE ONE NOW
    JUST THE RECORD
    NO RESERVE

I like this one:

"has the usual scratches for a record of this age, which I believe can be fixed now"

What the hell does that mean?? I made the mistake of asking a question about condition on one of these auctions to try & get a more detailed idea of what I may bid on & got asked not to bid.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    always upgrade if/when i can, always keep the skated one till its shiny new friend comes in. and often i still keep the whupidated one around for a beater "play copy", because as we all know, its fun to treat a hard to find record like it aint no thing.

two copies that are both pretty good or better = one goes to the trade/set sale pile.... which is getting huge, i gotta get a strut set sale list up! bargains galore! coming asap!

unless its a record i totally love, then 2 clean copies is just fine to keep kicking around, and if theres a 3rd copy it goes to the trade pile.

"has the usual scratches for a record of this age, which I believe can be fixed now"

I'M JUST ASSUMING SOME TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE I LAST BOUGHT A RECORD. IT SEEMS LIKE A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION TO ME. YOU KNOW CAUSE LIKE PEOPLE USED TO GET SMALL POX BEFORE AND THEY DON'T NOW.

I'M JUST ASSUMING SOME TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE I LAST BOUGHT A RECORD. IT SEEMS LIKE A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION TO ME. YOU KNOW CAUSE LIKE PEOPLE USED TO GET SMALL POX BEFORE AND THEY DON'T NOW.
    yeah, I suppose.......
    btw - seeing you here reminds me I need to get some of these backlogged review records taken care of for waxidermy. So many records, so little time.

Rad!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What are peoples philosophies on keeping and phasing out scratched records, do you keep them till you mint up or do you trash it right away.

I keep 'em till I mint up.

I should add that surface noise doesn't bother me, as long as it's playable and doesn't skip. I grew up listening to dusties shows where the guy played vinyl and the record had the occasional age marks, so hisses and scratches are not a big deal. As long as it doesn't skip, I'm cool, but I'm always looking out for something cleaner.

Or do you do like some bastards and visually grade them and put them on the ebay?

"The" eBay! Heh, heh, heh!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I actually have been downgrading a lot of records via ebay as much as I have been upgrading. Especially with 12"s, I really don't need a perfect looking copy of everything as long as what I've got sounds fine. Plus it's just easier to sell a clean copy rather than get into specifics about what's wrong with the record.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    NM OR DEATH.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    NM OR DEATH.

O RLY?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    NM OR DEATH.

busted.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

U can no longer visually grade and assume it will play alright.
    I have records that show no scuffs or marks. Play the records and all you have is skips and repeat skips. My outlaw Lp by Eugene McDaniels hit the wall doing 40mph. I trashed a record that looked mint but played hammered minus!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My outlaw Lp by Eugene McDaniels hit the wall doing 40mph. I trashed a record that looked mint but played hammered minus!!

I hope you checked your tonearm weight before you ethered.

Usually shit that looks clean but skips will play on another
    needle or with an adjustment.

My outlaw Lp by Eugene McDaniels hit the wall doing 40mph. I trashed a record that looked mint but played hammered minus!!

I hope you checked your tonearm weight before you ethered.

Usually shit that looks clean but skips will play on another
    needle or with an adjustment.

I did the whole adjustment thing no improvements. This is the kind of thing that keeps me away from record shows and shady dealers. Oh yeah, it's so necessary to have portable on you or use the crusty old dealers player if he allows you.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    NM OR DEATH.

busted.
    Those were purchased for their lables; the condition of the vinyl wasn't a concern.

NM OR DEATH.

busted.
    Those were purchased for their lables; the condition of the vinyl wasn't a concern.

Man, Rey you do alot of Ebay diggin!!
    Did you win that Phil Ranelin?