Soundcard/Audio Help.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me solve this problem.Lately I've been having issues that occur whenever I open an audio or video file while iTunes is playing. For some reason the mp3's in iTunes start playing really fast as soon as the other file is opened up, like the pitch gets bumped up +8 or something. The second file plays right, though. As soon as I close the second file I have to close iTunes and reopen it for the mp3 to start playing properly. Also, my old roommate just set up my setup so that I could start recording mixes through my computer via CoolEdit and/or Cubase, but when I tried to record a second track over the first, the first gets pitched up too! Even though the first played back perfectly on its' own! WTF?! I'm hoping this is an easy fix...any suggestions? This is really frustrating me. (If it helps, I run an M-Audio Audiophile external USB soundcard through a Behringer mixer.)Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Desktop/Laptop?

Windows/Mac?

Have you tried uninstalling? Reinstalling updated drivers?

Does it exhibit this behavior in a different program besides cooledit/itunes?

Has it always done this?

just a few questions

- spidey

• sounds like you may need to re-install the drivers for your soundcard.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Oops, sorry! I use a PC, not Mac. And we uninstalled the M-Audio stuff and reinstalled it off the OG disc. As far as I know it only has the problem through iTunes and CoolEdit. If I'm playing a video file first and then open iTunes the video file sound is not affected.

And I just noticed it acting up about a month ago. I don't remember doing anything different that might've caused the problem.

Oops, sorry! I use a PC, not Mac. And we uninstalled the M-Audio stuff and reinstalled it off the OG disc. As far as I know it only has the problem through iTunes and CoolEdit. If I'm playing a video file first and then open iTunes the video file sound is not affected.

And I just noticed it acting up about a month ago. I don't remember doing anything different that might've caused the problem.

Here's a foolproof method to test if it's your hardware.

Try your external USB soundcard on a different computer.

Usually when it exhibits the same behaviour on a different computer, you can isolate it as a hardware issue. If it doesn't act that way, or you don't have a different computer. Try some unofficial drivers, or just use the drivers that came with the package.

Also try updating Direct X and testing your soundcard with, start - run - "DXDIAG" - Sound tab - Test Direct sound.

- spidey

sounds like you may need to re-install the drivers for your soundcard.

After reading up on various forums, I think this may be the problem. Unfortunately, M-Audio stopped updating drivers on this for Windows2000, which is what my desktop PC has. I have XP on my laptop, but I'll be needing my laptop for microwave purposes when I'm recording.

Any ideas? Or better yet...can anybody hookup XP?

Spidey: I haven't tried your suggestions yet 'cause I'm afraid I'll fuck something up. I'll have my friend try them when he comes over though.

Thanks everybody!

Buuuuuuump!

Should I just buy XP? Which one do I need and how much does it cost? I searched Windows XP on Amazon and there's over 13,000 entries in the software section alone!

Or should I just buy a new soundcard and dump the M-Audio external I have?

I hate being computer-stupid.

• Have you checked the sample rate settings in the program handling the soundcard?

Buuuuuuump!

Should I just buy XP? Which one do I need and how much does it cost? I searched Windows XP on Amazon and there's over 13,000 entries in the software section alone!

What operating system are you running?

Why did you buy an external soundcard in the first place?

Laptop?

- spidey

• A clean XP install works good with almost all modern soundcards, and the music making world is not hopping on Vista for some years just yet. But check your sample rates too..

win2000

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    The reason for this is often different/wrong sample rates.

i.e. if you playback a 22Khz sample off an ebay auction or so it will be played at double speed if you audio engine is set to 44.1.

Buuuuuuump!

Laptop?

- spidey

Ummm...what do you mean by operating system? I got Windows2000, is that what you mean?

I bought my monitors from a dude off Craigslist who was moving to China. He offered to sell me the M-Audio soundcard for cheap. Prior to that I was using some basic internal with an 1/8" out.

Also, I'm planning on using my desktop PC to record on 'cause I'm using microwave on my laptop. Is it possible to use my laptop to do both at the same time?? (My laptop is running XP.)

• If you can hear the songs from the microwave program while having the recorder program open that would work. Otherwise you can import your microwave food into the DAW where you're recording and have that program handle everything.

Buuuuuuump!

Laptop?

- spidey

Ummm...what do you mean by operating system? I got Windows2000, is that what you mean?

I bought my monitors from a dude off Craigslist who was moving to China. He offered to sell me the M-Audio soundcard for cheap. Prior to that I was using some basic internal with an 1/8" out.

Also, I'm planning on using my desktop PC to record on 'cause I'm using microwave on my laptop. Is it possible to use my laptop to do both at the same time?? (My laptop is running XP.)

I've never used an M-audio external USB card, but this sounds like some pretty shoddy performance on the hardware side.

After trying to update the Driver for it on windows 2000 first. I would for sure test it on a XP computer before you bother upgrading your OS.

Have you tried it on your laptop yet?

Is it possible to record to your soundcard and run Microwave at the same time. Possibly, but I think Microwave is kind of processor heavy, and it depends on things like the size of your hard drive and how much memory you have. With a relatively clean hard drive, a good amount of memory and a decent processor sure.

I'd reccomend recording, and using Microwave seperately. Allowing both processor intensive programs the full amount of memory they require.

- spidey