Beginnings and Endings

bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
In feb of 07 I started a real estate photography business with an ex boss of mine.After almost a year, my business partner has decided to call it quits. we tried really hard to get it to work for us, but he has a young family and can't be on the bones of his arse like I can.So 3 days into 08 I am unemployed with a $30,000 printer lease hanging over my head.It's exciting, because I am forced to fall back on the other things I do - design, DJing and boutique textiles, and make them my primary source of income.I would love some advice/words of wisdom from you guys. Especially those of you who have had a business fold.I'm also working on a new folio, but alot of the poster design work i've done is rather old. so if anyone want some free poster/flyer design work in the next few weeks, hit me on the PM's.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    With a year invested, why don't you keep the business going??

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Maybe you should try your hand at some other types of photography or printing, not just real estate. It sounds like you're going to hang on to the printer, now it's up to you what you want to do with it. Maybe you can do printing for other photographers to break even?

Remember, most startup businesses are not profitable in the first year. Hang in there and good luck!

• He owns 75% and I own 25%, and I can't afford to buy out the rest of the equipment, nor take on more than I already owe in the debt it has incurred.

• Maybe you should try your hand at some other types of photography or printing, not just real estate. It sounds like you're going to hang on to the printer, now it's up to you what you want to do with it. Maybe you can do printing for other photographers to break even?

Remember, most startup businesses are not profitable in the first year. Hang in there and good luck!

Thanks, I think i'm going to need it!

The printer is a Xerox a3 production model. it was being used mainly for flyers for the agents. First thing I did when I found out was rang around all the people I know in small labels & promo companies about doing some printing - so I should at least be able to make my rent and the printer payments on the strength of just that response.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    He owns 75% and I own 25%, and I can't afford to buy out the rest of the equipment, nor take on more than I already owe in the debt it has incurred.

gotcha....thought maybe you just needed some encouragement.

best of luck