Manship prices

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Ok, what I don't get, is that most of the time.. he's charging 25-50% more than the prices he lists in his own price guide. I'm all for sitting on your records until you get the price you want, but that guy is on some ARCHDD type shit when you look at his Gemm catalog, the difference is that he's an actual serious seller. THITH IS LUDACRITH

Comments

• no shit...I wish I had his price guide when I was selling him records, I let him have a go at a box of new arrivals that were unpriced...he asked me what he wanted for this one and that one, etc...good god I would have loved to pull out his price guide and said, "hold on, I gotta look that one up and then Ill have to double check it on your website"....Im sure some $10 shit I sold him are $100 records, but that northern shit, man its some tough shit to gauge blind...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    good god I would have loved to pull out his price guide and said, "hold on, I gotta look that one up and then Ill have to double check it on your website"...

+

I mean, what is dude even going to say?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i've sold shit to Manship once, and they wouldn't give me more in trade than in cash...

• I sold to Manship once and it remains the most money I've ever received for a record.

Don't know what you guys are doing wrong.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Ok, what I don't get, is that most of the time.. he's charging 25-50% more than the prices he lists in his own price guide. I'm all for sitting on your records until you get the price you want, but that guy is on some ARCHDD type shit when you look at his Gemm catalog, the difference is that he's an actual serious seller. THITH IS LUDACRITH

perhaps the pound is up against the dollar since his last book came out???

regardless, manships price guide is so unreliable & all over the place that you just end up having to check the internets anyway.

his northern pricing strategy is like the ever-inflating real estate markets in past years - all values always going up, never down.

• I sold to Manship once and it remains the most money I've ever received for a record.

I knew we were doing something wrong when he spent a good hour or so in our cheap 45 racks($10 and under)and came to the counter with about 80 45s...

depends on what he found

these guys are known to buy all the $2 Bobby Bland commons you see everywhere & sell them inside the UK for 10 pounds

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I sold to Manship once and it remains the most money I've ever received for a record.

At some point (likely involving a life-changing purchase of my own) I will probably sell a record to Manship, and it will be the most money I will ever get for a record in my lifetime.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I sold to Manship once and it remains the most money I've ever received for a record.

You sold him a record, or had him auction a record off for you?

I've done the latter, and yeah, its great.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Never sold to him but I buy from Manship a few times a year. To be fair, a lot of the records he has can't be found elsewhere without a lot of leg work, if at all, and I think his prices are generally fair to good. With the exchange rate it doesn't look too good for US buyers at the moment but he is far from a rip-off merchant.

You sold him a record, or had him auction a record off for you?

I've done the latter, and yeah, its great.

I settled for an up-front price, he might've auctioned it afterward.

I've bought from him before too.

The books are not accurate but they're useful.

Next up: RECORDS BY MAIL! OVERPRICED! AAAAH!!!

I wasn't really trying to make a MANSHIPS OVERPRICED post... just pointing out that his prices are actually MORE than his own price guides suggest.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    johns been selling vinyl for so long that he has a huge following that will pay for his stuff regardless of cost. he also has folks who dont use the internet and just send him lists of records they are looking for either by fax or over the phone. the website and book are, in my opinion, great marketing tools that only gave him more customers. there wasnt a real soul price guide until john put his out. the illest thing was that those were just his lists of vinyl hes sold over the years but just on paper with a fancy cover.

• I always thought that a lot of the records he sells on his site he had mad quantity of from a couple of big warehouse buys and as time goes by and they all get picked out of the field, he will be or already is the only source for them and thus is able to control the price. Also having large stock quantities of mass amounts of soul 45s and then compiling a price guide might lead one to inflate prices on records they have endless supllies of. I always check 45s against his site opposed to the price guide first to see if he has it in stock.

MCF

• Ok, what I don't get, is that most of the time.. he's charging 25-50% more than the prices he lists in his own price guide. I'm all for sitting on your records until you get the price you want, but that guy is on some ARCHDD type shit when you look at his Gemm catalog, the difference is that he's an actual serious seller. THITH IS LUDACRITH

What edition of the price guide are you using? If you don't have the fourth then that would explain the price differences.

Just to play devil's advocate, some of the 45s he has listed in the guide are way underpriced. For instance, he has Rideout on Hotlicks/Rota for a fraction of what it usually sells for. Chucky Thurmon is listed at 200 pounds, which is about 1/3 to 1/4 what it goes for, etc.

Personally I've had nothing but positive experiences dealing with the man and the guide is enormously useful as long as you don't take the prices literally and learn how to interpret them.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I don't own the manship guide but i call people who do.

Personally I've had nothing but positive experiences dealing with the man and the guide is enormously useful as long as you don't take the prices literally and learn how to interpret them.

Of course, all your points are true. Im just wondering if he sells a record, for say 100 pounds, and then ups the price every time by 20 pounds or some shit. I'm also wondering if the records he has priced so low in his book are things that he has sitting in quantity in his own warehouse.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    good god I would have loved to pull out his price guide and said, "hold on, I gotta look that one up and then Ill have to double check it on your website"...

+

I mean, what is dude even going to say?

I'll tell you exactly what he will say. "3 or 4 or those have sold in the last year and the market is a bit flooded." backedwith "People aren't looking for that one as much as they once did."

The thing is the Northern Soul market is weird and volital. No body knows it better than Manship. Few have more influence on it than Manship (but unlike some djs he is not a trend setter). If he says it is, it is.

I think the guy is honest and if he offers you a price it will be his buy price.

And in case no body has said it his book does not list the values of records, it is a GUIDE[/b] based on past sales.

• so who's gonna put out the funk guide, then???

so who's gonna put out the funk guide, then???

funk is dead

• so who's gonna put out the gospel[/b] funk guide, then???

funk is dead

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    so who's gonna put out the gospel[/b] funk guide, then???

funk is dead

• Ok, what I don't get, is that most of the time.. he's charging 25-50% more than the prices he lists in his own price guide. I'm all for sitting on your records until you get the price you want, but that guy is on some ARCHDD type shit when you look at his Gemm catalog, the difference is that he's an actual serious seller. THITH IS LUDACRITH
    exactly, and he sells records like Pi-R-Square's "Fantasy" for $200 usd, and I got a stock copy for $60. Most of the funk records I've wanted that I've seen over at Manship's site - I just wait until I can find someone who's charging a third of what he's charging, hahaha...I do every now and then check his rare soul auctions...can't lie, he does have some ill stuff in there sometimes.