SYL JOHNSON DONE WENT SUE-HAPPY

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/02/it-takes-different-strokes-to-sue-the-world/

It Takes "Different Strokes" to Sue the World
    Posted Jan 2nd 2008 3:56PM by TMZ Staff

An old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.

Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suit that Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!

Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jacko, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

You know - if the empty-headed celebrity reporters at TMZ had actually listened to "Different Strokes," "Concrete Reservation," or "Is It Because I'm Black," they probably wouldn't be mocking a talented black man who's done something with his life.

Just a thought.

they're making a mockery of journalism
    but i don't see them clowning syl at all

I don't think they're CLOWNING Syl, but I thought the reference to the Diff'rent Strokes TV show was kinda goofy. I mean, I've been known to refer to old and new television in my writing as well, but for some reason it just looked cheesy this time.

I still think that they're painting this as a Don Quixote thing. Crazy old codger starts throwing punches at shadows, et cetera. Look at the terminology they use.

And I'm only estimating the TMZ clowns at what they're worth - hundreds of millions of people read this tripe every day. It's not Shakespeare, but it IS influentual shit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Did you just say kkkuntly?

If this is common vernacular in America - or on Soul Strut for that matter- I must be

This is only the nomenclature within the jurisdiction of the Principatity of Kalafornia.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Did you just say kkkuntly?

If this is common vernacular in America - or on Soul Strut for that matter- I must be

This is only the nomenclature within the jurisdiction of the Principatity of Kalafornia.

I thought as much but was just confriming.

Thank you.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Can someone tell me waht of this:

I cant hear it.

Perace
    Hawkeye

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can someone tell me waht of this:

I cant hear it.

Perace
    Hawkeye

I hear Dennis Coffey and Rare Earth for miles on that track, but no Syl...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    is it me, or does it seem like the fact that the song in question is called "Different Strokes" is the only reason TMZ reported on this? So they could make a "Whatchoo talkin bout Willis" joke? I'm not up on TMZ much so maybe I'm disconnected from the gossip streetz, but do they normally report on old school artists suing younger artists? It seems like folks looking for Paris Hilton's latest antics wouldn't give a shit about some old singer suing people over a sample, even if those people are MJ, Tupac and the like.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    is it me, or does it seem like the fact that the song in question is called "Different Strokes" is the only reason TMZ reported on this? So they could make a "Whatchoo talkin bout Willis" joke? I'm not up on TMZ much so maybe I'm disconnected from the gossip streetz, but do they normally report on old school artists suing younger artists? It seems like folks looking for Paris Hilton's latest antics wouldn't give a shit about some old singer suing people over a sample, even if those people are MJ, Tupac and the like.

It seems like that. If Beyonce sampled Danny Madden's "The Facts Of Life" without permission, I'm sure something similar might pop up if Madden was to sue.

Now, didn't Entertainment Weekly recently reveal the source of the drums in Rihanna's "Umbrella", a reference that came out of nowhere? I can understand if a lawsuit was pending, or that all avenues were exhausted in trying to come up with a settlement, but it talked about how some felt her song was the best of 2007, and one of the reasons was because of the drums.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Nah, this is up TMZ's alley insofar as they're in the business of reporting on entertainment news and their empire is expanding. Sheeyit, it can't be all Paris and Britney all the time.

I really doubt they reported on this b/c of the "Different Strokes" connection; that was just the cheap joke the writer could play off on.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

Now, didn't Entertainment Weekly recently reveal the source of the drums in Rihanna's "Umbrella", a reference that came out of nowhere? I can understand if a lawsuit was pending, or that all avenues were exhausted in trying to come up with a settlement, but it talked about how some felt her song was the best of 2007, and one of the reasons was because of the drums.

John, do you have more infos about that??? Because from what i know (and heard myself), those drums are coming Apple's Garage Band (specifically, Vintage Funk Kit 03). Drums are not to be cleared unless it's part of the top 10 break list (i heard you gotta pay for impeach nowadays when you use it "as is").

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

John, do you have more infos about that??? Because from what i know (and heard myself), those drums are coming Apple's Garage Band (specifically, Vintage Funk Kit 03). Drums are not to be cleared unless it's part of the top 10 break list (i heard you gotta pay for impeach nowadays when you use it "as is").

That's what EW reported too. The Vintage Funk Kit 03, I mean.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Didn't RZA show up at Syl's crib with like a huge customized truck for him or some shit like that?

I thought it was DJ Premier

Oh, well at least he's going after the ones with deep pockets like super douche bag Will Smith. He should get every cent possible off that turkey.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    super douche bag Will Smith.