SYL JOHNSON DONE WENT SUE-HAPPY

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/02/it-takes-different-strokes-to-sue-the-world/It Takes "Different Strokes" to Sue the WorldPosted Jan 2nd 2008 3:56PM by TMZ StaffAn old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suit that Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jacko, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    uh!!-whoooohuhuhoo-uhh!!!-whoohuhuhuhu....

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    please to give Syl all monies owing now.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

At least he's not suing all of the people who copied his song from a CD or record to their computer.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn if he starts seeing money from everyone who used "Different Strokes" that's a shitload of cheddar.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'm guessing PE, kool g, BDP, wu, and all the others didn't pay up either...
    is he just calling out a select few?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    i'm guessing PE, kool g, BDP, wu, and all the others didn't pay up either...

If you wanna get that dough, you gotta go after those with that dough.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    And to be more accurate, to get THAT doe, you ONLY need to sue those who SOLD records while using the master. He's suing for master use...

PS : Do not forget that a sample DON'T have to be credited in the liner notes unless it's required by the sampled artist during the negociations for the master use. A lot of cats did clear the samples back then...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    He ain't gonna sue the Wu... they put his daughter on!

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Wu paid their dues already...Except for small azz releases like J-Love mixtapes and shit. But Will Smith gonna get it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Didn't RZA show up at Syl's crib with like a huge customized truck for him or some shit like that?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/02/it-takes-different-strokes-to-sue-the-world/

It Takes "Different Strokes" to Sue the World
    Posted Jan 2nd 2008 3:56PM by TMZ Staff

An old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.

Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suit that Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!

Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jacko, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

You know - if the empty-headed celebrity reporters at TMZ had actually listened to "Different Strokes," "Concrete Reservation," or "Is It Because I'm Black," they probably wouldn't be mocking a talented black man who's done something with his life.

Just a thought.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

An old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.

Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suit that Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!

Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jacko, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

You know - if the empty-headed celebrity reporters at TMZ had actually listened to "Different Strokes," "Concrete Reservation," or "Is It Because I'm Black," they probably wouldn't be mocking a talented black man who's done something with his life.

Just a thought.

I've worked with TMZ. After 4 weeks of working with them they sent me a letter saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry, we enjoyed partnering with you but we are going to sue you and your network". Turns out they were suing us over a misunderstanding they didn't bother to look into beyond the hearsay they were being whispered from an "unknown source"

They aren't exactly the kind of people that want to look into something

• Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game"

• FREEZE! (freeze... freeze.. freeze)

MUSIC PLEASE.[/b]

uh!uh!!uh!uh!!-whoouh!!uh!!-whooouhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!!-whoouh!uh!!uh!uh!!-whoouh!!uh!!-whooouhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Just a thought.

I've worked with TMZ. After 4 weeks of working with them they sent me a letter saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry, we enjoyed partnering with you but we are going to sue you and your network". Turns out they were suing us over a misunderstanding they didn't bother to look into beyond the hearsay they were being whispered from an "unknown source"

How'd that turn out?

I'm guessing: big waste of the legal system's time.

Sevier knows more about the inner workings of it, but didn't Syl essentially release a bootleg of his own material with this CD (He didn't own the rights related)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Just a thought.

How'd that turn out?

I'm guessing: big waste of the legal system's time.

Not sure, once they sued our particualr show was pushed out of the fire and instead I had to get my hands dirty talking to TMZ wannabee's and the paparazzi, shit left a dirty taste on my scrotum.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sevier knows more about the inner workings of it, but didn't Syl essentially release a bootleg of his own material with this CD (He didn't own the rights related)

He actually released two "Limited Edition" bootlegs:

Both are still available at Dusty Groove, pending re-stocks. I actually bought the "Different Strokes" CD to get "Don't Give It Away" on mp3 and put something in Syl's pocket at the same time. Sure, I've got all the 45s, but it felt right at the time.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

So wait, he released this CD using their names as a selling point and now is suing them? Thats kinda weird.

sounds like he's just suing the folks who are most likely to settle with some duckets out of court. The Michael Jackson thing is reachin' pretty hard though. With Syl still doin his thing, I'd guess this is more of a marketing strategy for him anyways.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think perhaps you overestimate these "reporters"...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Just a thought.

they're making a mockery of journalism
    but i don't see them clowning syl at all

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Maybe he's laughing, but he's been around for awhile, yeah yeah yeah.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

It's true, and most people going to TMZ aren't looking for a serious read. It's cameltoes, fake noses, and boil welts on the rich and famous.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It's true, and most people going to TMZ aren't looking for a serious read. It's cameltoes, fake noses, and boil welts on the rich and famous.

Aka "The future of news."

Seriously, Murdoch buying out the WSJ isn't half as scary as the rise of TMZ.

• i'm guessing PE, kool g, BDP, wu, and all the others didn't pay up either...

Actually, he's suing:

"MICHAEL JACKSON, WILL SMITH aka
    Willard Smith, TUPAC SHAKUR Estate, KRS ONE aka Lawrence Parker,
    BOOGIE DOWN PRODUCTION aka Lawrence Parker, p/k/a PEEDI CRAKK &
    YOUNG CHRIS, and The Group NWA Collectively,"

I guess only the first three mean anything to TMZ readers.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Just a thought.

I don't think they're CLOWNING Syl, but I thought the reference to the Diff'rent Strokes TV show was kinda goofy. I mean, I've been known to refer to old and new television in my writing as well, but for some reason it just looked cheesy this time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ...and as far as those two albums Syl put out on the rejiggered Twinight label: I don't have time to go through the stacks and check, but have you seen the liners/credits to those CD's? If I'm not mistaken, he has a photo of somebody else's gold record because it includes a sample of one of his songs! And there's another tune on one of the albums - a contemporary remix of an older tune, I think - where he's CALLING ALL THESE PEOPLE OUT, RIGHT THERE IN THE SONG, FOR NOT GIVING HIM HIS MONIES OWED. A little bit over the top, maybe, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to keep the repo man away from the door.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    where's the motherfuckin' kkkuntly riaa now?

up sum[=] college kids ass'?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Did you just say kkkuntly?

If this is common vernacular in America - or on Soul Strut for that matter- I must be