RIAA: illegal to Copy Own CD's to Computer

2»

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

thanks for posting this...it looks like there's still a faint glimmer of hope for common sense in this world.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

= loves the new Michael Franks CD

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i wonder what the net $$ gain for the riaa/records is from ALL of the lawsuits?

enough to make up for so called lost sales?

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I must be missing something. How in the hell did the RIAA find out this guy ripped tracks from his private CD collection onto his private home computer for personal private home use? WTF??

Most common CD ripping programs (iTunes, WinAMP) go out to the internet to retrieve album information when you rip the CD. They probably obtain the individual's IP address via one of these transactions.

True, I've seen that and I never ask for that info to be accessed. Lesson learned: avoid the RIAA suing you by turning off your modem before ripping tracks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I must be missing something. How in the hell did the RIAA find out this guy ripped tracks from his private CD collection onto his private home computer for personal private home use? WTF??

Most common CD ripping programs (iTunes, WinAMP) go out to the internet to retrieve album information when you rip the CD. They probably obtain the individual's IP address via one of these transactions.

True, I've seen that and I never ask for that info to be accessed. Lesson learned: avoid the RIAA suing you by turning off your modem before ripping tracks.

I can tell you that Realplayer does not associate any info w/your IP unless you let them - and that includes album details

• i wonder what the net $$ gain for the riaa/records is from ALL of the lawsuits?

enough to make up for so called lost sales?

Someone posted an article a while back that suggested that the RIAA was actually taking a significant loss on the lawsuits. They don't make nearly enough to cover even their own legal fees.

• They don't make nearly enough to cover even their own legal fees.

I'm shocked that schoolteachers and students aren't sitting on loads of P2P profits.

Really, you'd think they might do some cost/benefit analysis...

• I saw a clarification yesterday that suggested the the guy who's getting sued didn't just rip CDs, he put the ripped copies into his Kazaa folder, which is of course a whole different kettle of fish.