Tower of Power "Back to Oakland"

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Local shop has a sealed copy of this for $11, but I've never heard any cuts off this. How is this record and is this a good deal or ?peace..

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Local shop has a sealed copy of this for $11, but I've never heard any cuts off this. How is this record and is this a good deal or ?

peace..

thats the one with the road sign right? if so it contains a (pretty ok) drumbreak cheers!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    honestly i dont see it that often. $11 for a mint copy isnt too bad. there was recently a thread about TOP that focused on this album, try searching for it. lots of praise!

• yeah... here is the cover

It looked interesting and I know its sealed, I just don't want to drop $11 on a turd

• thanks for the input guys ill search for that thread

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think originals are on the green label. Then palm trees and then that ugly 80's label. You don't want to pay $11 for the ugly 80s label, unless you just like records for the music.

• I think originals are on the green label. Then palm trees and then that ugly 80's label. You don't want to pay $11 for the ugly 80s label, unless you just like records for the music.

No, I believe the original label for Back To Oakland would have been the palm tree design. The green label was already retired by '74 (when the LP came out).

• I think originals are on the green label. Then palm trees and then that ugly 80's label. You don't want to pay $11 for the ugly 80s label, unless you just like records for the music.

No, I believe the original label for Back To Oakland would have been the palm tree design. The green label was already retired by '74 (when the LP came out).

Correct. I'm not sure when the actual cut-off point was (I know someone talked about it on the SH forum), but early Canadian pressings would probably be on that army green label, since they would get any new variations a month or two after the U.S. switched over.

Correct. I'm not sure when the actual cut-off point was

...I think it was early '73 when they switched to the palm tree label that they kept on using till late '78.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    YOU GUYS made me put on tower of power (been a while) whitey dude funky fonk for daaaaaaaays!!!

listening to this one, i think the Change Horses cut was their hit or something.
    funny thing with those early TOP records, i remember that they were pretty expensive over here (denmark, scandinavia)... back in the mid 90s you could find that first album (black with roadmap and hat) at a price between $50-100 in record stores... prices change for some records though and now you can get that same lp on ebay for $5 in M condition.

• Are there any sleeve differences between the different pressings of it? Hard to check the label when it's sealed

• listening to this one, i think the Change Horses cut was their hit or something.

Both "Don't Change Horses In The Middle Of A Stream" and "Time Will Tell" charted in the soul Top 40 (with "Change Horses" crossing over pop).

• solid memories of this record.. my dad used to rock this for days at a time...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I've never heard any cuts off this.

05 squib cakes.mp3 - 10.68MB

• thanks mord..

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Honestly that's not a rare record at all but it's definitely worth $11 specially given the fact that it has 3 long bboy'ish drumbreaks not just one like mentioned.So pick up doubles and have fun.

• i heard Crink needs this

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think originals are on the green label. Then palm trees and then that ugly 80's label. You don't want to pay $11 for the ugly 80s label, unless you just like records for the music.

i didnt even know it was in print long enough to have an 80's label

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Whada I know I thought it had a green label. Seemed to me the TOPs were around for a long time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Whada I know I thought it had a green label. Seemed to me the TOPs were around for a long time.

I wasn't disputing you, I really was wondering...it coulda happened! I definitely used to see the self-titled Warners LP (with "So Very Hard To Go") around in the eighties with the "Super Saver" sticker on the shrink, so WB surely kept that one in the catalog. Maybe Bump City too. Wasn't sure about Back To Oakland, though. At any rate, $10 for any TOP album that isn't East Bay Grease does seem kinda steep.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Featuring BALCO's own Victor "Mr. Clean" Conte on bass. It's true.

Before and after Tower of Power: