Nearfield monitors

BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I want to take my mixing game up a notch and I'm looking for some active monitors for under $1000. I was thinking of KRK Rokit 8's only because I've heard a lot of good things about them. What are you guys using?

Comments

• I've got Adam A7's and I like them.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Bose Companion 2 and it's totally not related to what you're looking for, but I definitely mix on them.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The whole Adam lineup is real nice. I'm a huge fan of Yamaha's monitor designs starting with the NS series, and was really impressed by the HS80. Great midrange detail and clarity, certainly a step up from the KRKs in my opinion, which have an exaggerated and boomy low end. You might want a sub though.

Personally I use Yamaha NS-344s, which were part of the same series as the NS-10, but are a 3 way design with a 10-inch woofer, amped by a JBL 6230, which can be had pretty cheap on eBay.

Bose Companion 2 and it's totally not related to what you're looking for, but I definitely mix on them.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i have krk v8s. love them joints. had them for about 6 years with no problems. i did get them used and paid around 650 for the pair. that may be an option

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    From what I've heard Genelec 8020 (and 8030 etc) are what most people buy these days. All I know is that they sound great, thinking about getting a pair for myself.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Genelec 8030

Got a pair of these last year dirt cheap from a friend who snagged them from his job (TV production studio). Very happy with them so far.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Oh man, you're right. I should have asked you before I bought them. All those projects that never get released probably don't sound right! Damn. The worst $250 I ever spent. Definitely.

Are you still upset that I dissed you on field recorders, or do you take the time out to flame me because you find it to be an enjoyable activity?

I just noticed that this graemlin is not 'bonus', but 'bunus'.

• Oh man, you're right. I should have asked you before I bought them. All those projects that never get released probably don't sound right! Damn. The worst $250 I ever spent. Definitely.

Are you still upset that I dissed you on field recorders, or do you take the time out to flame me because you find it to be an enjoyable activity?

if they make jel mpc beats sound next level then they must be

• So I did some shopping today and tried out a few monitors. I've crossed KRK's off my list, tried a few models and none of them really sounded that good to me...boomy bass poor midrange. I also tried the yamamha HS80 not bad but I wasn't blown away, a little too harsh sounding for me, could tire my ears out.

The two best I tried were the adam a7's and dynaudio BM5A's both were really good but sounded quite different from each other. I liked the A7's best though, they really surprised me, very smooth sounding. Nice for general listening aswell as mixing. Also I like how they are ported at the front and take rca connections

now I just have to save a little more cash....

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word. thought you would dig the krks. keep in mind when you are shoppin for monitors, your aim should be to get an accurate sounding monitor. if you are going into a listening room take a cd you are really familiar with and play it through each pair. the last thing you want to cop is a pair that has a sugary output.

• word. thought you would dig the krks. keep in mind when you are shoppin for monitors, your aim should be to get an accurate sounding monitor. if you are going into a listening room take a cd you are really familiar with and play it through each pair. the last thing you want to cop is a pair that has a sugary output.

That's what I did, I brought in marvin gaye what's goin on so I could a/b the different pairs of monitors. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for as I have a bit of experience in studios mixing with high end monitors. I look for a clear and flat sound with the most detail.

the krk's that I tried were the vxt6's and rocket 6's, I would have liked to try the V series but I think they're now discontinued. From what I did hear I wasn't very impressed.

Oh man, you're right. I should have asked you before I bought them. All those projects that never get released probably don't sound right! Damn. The worst $250 I ever spent. Definitely.

if they make jel mpc beats sound next level then they must be

LOL

• The two best I tried were the adam a7's and dynaudio BM5A's both were really good but sounded quite different from each other. I liked the A7's best though, they really surprised me, very smooth sounding. Nice for general listening aswell as mixing. Also I like how they are ported at the front and take rca connections

We used to have a pair of Dynaudio Air 15's at my old house (belonged to a roommate) and they were out of control. We threw a couple bass traps in the corners and he spent the better part of two days tuning the internal DSP to the room.

I haven't spent a ton of time in high-end studios, but those are the most detailed monitors I've ever heard. Out of my price range though.

The two best I tried were the adam a7's and dynaudio BM5A's both were really good but sounded quite different from each other. I liked the A7's best though, they really surprised me, very smooth sounding. Nice for general listening aswell as mixing. Also I like how they are ported at the front and take rca connections

We used to have a pair of Dynaudio Air 15's at my old house (belonged to a roommate) and they were out of control. We threw a couple bass traps in the corners and he spent the better part of two days tuning the internal DSP to the room.

I haven't spent a ton of time in high-end studios, but those are the most detailed monitors I've ever heard. Out of my price range though.

Yeah, they're reccommended across the board for monitors at that price point. If you can drop a grand they're worth it, the best set of mains I've ever heard was a 5.1 dynaudio setup. I'd love to own a pair.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'm using esi near05's because of the price and availability but I'd reccommend Yamaha HS80s.