Bmore: SECONDS (Free 35mm '60s Pysch Film @ BMA)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited December 2007 in Announcements
Don't miss the next FREE '60s psychedelic 35mm film at the Baltimore Museum of Art -- John Frankenheimer's paranoid, sci-fi and horror-tinged thriller Seconds (1966) starring Rock Hudson![/b]The film screens for FREE Thursday, January 3rd at 8pm at the Baltimore Museum of Art[/b].Frankenheimer is best-known for his original big-screen version of The Manchurian Candidate[/b]. Fans of that film should run, not walk, to this screening, as it's every bit worthy of that classic, cut from the same visionary, proto-psychedelic cloth.Arthur Hamilton is a middle-aged lump of a man, a banker for whom life holds very little passion or excitement. Approached by a friend he assumed to be dead, he learns of "The Company" -- a secretive organization that, through plastic surgery and other secretive means, provides wealthy patrons with new beginnings at life. Hamilton takes The Company up on their offer, and emerges as Tony Wilson (Rock Hudson), a jetsetting, Malibu-based artist. But before long, things take a dark and horrible downturn.Vividly photographed by legendary cinematographer James Wong Howe, Seconds captures a moment where Hollywood was beginning not only to respond to the exciting developments in the world cinema of the time, leading to the Hollywood film renaissance of the 1970s. It's a classic in its own right, but also an important precursor to films like Chinatown, Bonnie and Clyde, The Conversation, and The Godfather -- and, above all, not to be missed!_____________________________UPCOMING FREE 35mm SCREENINGS at the BMA[/b]:January 3, 2008: Hollywood psych: John Frankenheimer's Seconds (1966)February 7, 2008: Classic African Cinema: Ousmane Sembene's Xala (1975)

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

February 7, 2008: Classic African Cinema: Ousmane Sembene's Xala (1975)

hurrah!!!

• this movie rules. that grape stomping scene is a trip

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Bassie-- you a fan of Ousmane generally, or Xala specifically, or both?

Edith-- Yeah, this is a favorite of mine. Captured the changes of the times better than most any other Hollywood movie of the mid-60s.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Generally, Faat Kine is one my all-time favourite films.

Generally, Faat Kine is one my all-time favourite films.

I missed that one. I've seen Moolaade (at TIFF), Cedda, Xala, Black Girl (also at TIFF), and Borom Sarret and he hasn't let me down so far.

Tonight. Hope to see some of you there!

And so ya'll can mark your calendars, here's an expanded list of the upcoming titles in this ongoing FREE film series...

UPCOMING FREE 35mm SCREENINGS at the Baltimore Museum of Art:

January 3, 2008[/b]: Hollywood psych: John Frankenheimer's Seconds (1966)
    February 7, 2008[/b]: Classic African Cinema: Ousmane Sembene's Xala (1975)
    March 6, 2008[/b]: Explosive Doc: The Revolution Will Not be Televised (2003)
    April 3, 2008[/b]: Bunuel's Best? Discreet Charm of the Bourgeiosie (1972)
    May 1, 2008[/b]: Shimmering Fassbinder: Veronica Voss (1982)