how RARE is the synthetic substitution 45?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i've always wondered how rare this thing actually is. i still need a copy myself but it seems like it's on ebay constantly. how big was the pressing? ive seen other 45s on sunburst before but never this one. didnt somebody find a copy on Contempo or something? im really interested now because im about 3 records away from having all the "classic" breaks i've been wanting forever. this, skull snaps, and impeach the prez...

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    If you want a really cheap copy, find yourself a friend in Belgium, they got some copies over there. More generally, it's easier to find it in Europe. At least, the only copies i saw was over there.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    you know its also on a comp called soul relased round 75..
    i will post a pic of cover soon..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I have the pressing on Contempo. It's about a 20-30 quid record here in the UK, about $40-60, but still hard to find. It was released in the UK, black label, silver text.

peace.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    A few other really rare US 45s were released in the UK on the black contempo label. Most noteably, Massai - Across the tracks.

And yeah, that Soul compilation is an Australia-only release I think.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ako,

I don't think it's on eBay all that often at all.

I have a bitter memory of being at the GM when Chris was offering his up for sale and I got beat to it by this guy from Japan. Damn those guys from Japan! (mock rage)

• As stated above: three different pressings - i believe the Belgian and UK ones both had a decent number of 45s pressed for an obscure(ish) release; i've found the Belgian one twice without really looking for it. Contempo seems to pop up relatively often too, the guys at the fryer mantis funk forums could probably tell you how common it is. As for the US 45: i've heard that its often in collections of people who collect the label in general rather than the 45 in question (or was that Manzel?)

Rambling,

RC