Portishead.

HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone else heard any of the new songs? Does anyone here care about the new songs? I heard some live recordings of some and am curious to hear howd they sound as studio cuts.Happy Birthday Ari and JC

Comments

• i care...i have not heard anything new.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This will be interesting.

They have a very talented team, especially who does the sampling and beats.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i love me some Portishead

will i love the new stuff?

the 2 new songs on their Myspace are just weird ambient instrumentals that don't do shit for my ears

if the new album sucks atleast i have the first two

what happened to Weezer?

have they released a good album lately?

i used to like them

• snosno 332 Posts
    New songs performed at their All Tomorrow's Parties gig earlier this month:

• Thanks for posting these clips, Sno. I'm excited for more!

• Portishead
    2007-12-08
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    Centre Stage
    Minehead, UK
    (1:19:31)

Set List:

01) Wicca
    02) Hunter
    03) Mysterons
    04) Mystic
    05) Glory Box
    06) Numb
    07) Wandering Star
    0 Machine Gun
    09) Over
    10) Sour times
    11) Only You
    12) Cowboys
    --
    13) Roads
    14) Peaches

http://tinyurl.com/2jw2kz

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    see Geoff Barrow from PH slagging off Mark Ronson as supermarket music. probably annoyed that Mark is actually vaguely relevant.

behemoth: there's a new Weezer out-takes/rarities album that just dropped, it's under the Rivers Cuomo name titled 'Alone' and features a cover of Gregg Alexander, a few tracks from the unreleased 'Songs from the Black Hole' that are epic and a lot of other songs that are just well shit basically. If you're still bothering to check for their new albums, Rubin is working with them on a follow-up to the despicable 'Make Believe'.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I love me some Portishead though I remain unconvinced that they've still got something new to offer. From what I can make out on those videos the sound hasn't changed dramatically but has gone a bit rockier ala Mezzanine. I'll wait to see though as I love Beth's voice and am ready to take her music back from the dinner parties.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Thanks for posting these clips, Sno. I'm excited for more!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Thanks for that. Im diggin the new sound.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    To be honest they don't do a great deal for me. Ive tried my best to get into them but they just do nothing for me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Used to be really into them when they put out their albums but that seems like a long time ago. I have kinda stopped waiting for something new. They did have a tune on that Serge Gainsbourg covers album that came out last year, but it was just OK.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I'm still on the fence about the more uptempo "Wicca"...after 10 years without a recording, I could not help but fear PH will pull a Stone Roses "Second Coming" for their new album...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'm still on the fence about the more uptempo "Wicca"...after 10 years without a recording, I could not help but fear PH will pull a Stone Roses "Second Coming" for their new album...

That's an unconvincing analogy. Whilst the difference in songs between the two albums is like oil and water, 'Second Coming' stands just fine by itself, shows maturity in both songwriting and arrangement and is much more of a complete album than the first which resembles more a collection of singles.

• snosno 332 Posts
    My bad. What I meant was after so many years on hiatus (in terms of releasing recordings), there might be backlash against them with all the expectations and anticipations built up. Funny thing is, people might expect Dummy or their self-titled album redux rather than breaking new grounds.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dude.. I'm feeling this new kraut-ish portishead stuff. Hunters reminds me of Broadcast. Peaches sounds like some Silver apples jawn.

- spidey

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    While I will definitely check for the new Portishead, I'm pretty DAMN curious about the new My Bloody Valentine. They've got tour dates!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Dude.. I'm feeling this new kraut-ish portishead stuff. Hunters reminds me of Broadcast. Peaches sounds like some Silver apples jawn.

Ha, I thought exactly the same thing listening to the whole set (thanks for posting btw, chizzle). I think they are capable of coming out with something good. Like someone else said, Barrows and Utley know their way around a studio, so you know the musical foundation will be solid.

The rest depends on Gibbons' singing/songwriting. Along with Bj??rk, she's probably one of the most-aped female singers of the 90s, and can understand why people could be tired of that style. Originals will be originals, though. I have faith.