Do you believe in alternate universes/dimensions

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Yo,The "what happens if when you're dead" thread got me thinking about parallel universes, like in DC Comics Earth 2 kinds steeze. Do you think that there is a alternate universe version of you who likes wack music living on the other end of a black hole? When you both die, who goes to heaven? There's gotta be some amature physicists in the house?h

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Yo,

The "what happens if when you're dead" thread got me thinking about parallel universes, like in DC Comics Earth 2 kinds steeze. Do you think that there is a alternate universe version of you who likes wack music living on the other end of a black hole? When you both die, who goes to heaven? There's gotta be some amature physicists in the house?

h

in an infinite universe, all these things are possible. Including one where we all hang out on Soulstrut but only talk minutia about 20th century classical music.

ELGAR APPRECIATION POST!!

DO YOU LIKE 12-TONE MUSIC?

PRICE CHECK - DARIUS MILAUD "Le Boeuf sur le Toit"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

If these alternate universes exist, how does this shit work? Have scientists done the math & figured out that these things exist in theory? Imagine the possiblities...I heard the next Tom Cruise flick is gonna be about other dimentions & crap. Kinda like Sliders meets the X-Files.

h

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL B/W CARL SAGAN OWNS YOUR CHILDREN

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I read that string theory book by Brian Green and almost convinced myself I could imagine what they are talking about, 10-D universes and all that.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

The "what happens if when you're dead" thread got me thinking about parallel universes, like in DC Comics Earth 2 kinds steeze. Do you think that there is a alternate universe version of you who likes wack music living on the other end of a black hole? When you both die, who goes to heaven? There's gotta be some amature physicists in the house?

h

in an infinite universe, all these things are possible. Including one where we all hang out on Soulstrut but only talk minutia about 20th century classical music.

ELGAR APPRECIATION POST!!

DO YOU LIKE 12-TONE MUSIC?

PRICE CHECK - DARIUS MILAUD "Le Boeuf sur le Toit"

Imagine a universe in which I have hair & possess all raers...A world in which Mr. Damn jocks Daniella Wheeler & Guzzo is a Neo Nazi...

h

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Yo,

If these alternate universes exist, how does this shit work? Have scientists done the math & figured out that these things exist in theory? Imagine the possiblities...I heard the next Tom Cruise flick is gonna be about other dimentions & crap. Kinda like Sliders meets the X-Files.

h

String theory seems to be the theory that many people are talking about which involves the higher dimensions and such. I have read a couple books on it and while it would be a great way to unify physics with a solid mathematics foundation, string theory is all speculation. There are no concrete scientific proofs that has justified many of the new concepts that string theory presents.

When it comes to the whole "more dimensions" concept, its a cool idea and would be ideal for explaining how our world works but I don't see any way to visualize it. What we experience as the real world involves 3 spatial dimensions (x,y,z) and you can consider a time dimension (t). The x,y,z dimensions differ by 90 degrees which is how spatial dimensions are defined. Now...try to imagine another dimension which differs by 90 degrees from the other dimensions. You run into an insane conundrum of trying to pictualize this dimension. BUT...mathematically...it can be shown that other dimensions can exist (a linear algebra class can show this). The thing about string theory is that the mathematics that go behind it get very complex and a lot of researchers would rather devote their time and effort to something they know they will get funding for as opposed to some crazy idea (thus far).

A good quantum physics book for easy reading is QED theory by Richard Feynmann. (a very funny guy) He explains the relationship between electron particles and ligh particles in regular everyday terms and how they relate to other particle physics. Its only 80 pages as well.

HAZ and anyone else...I have a 3 episode (1 hour each) PBS special on superstring theory narrated by Brain Greene, with great graphics to help understand concepts, that I'm willing to share. If anyone's intersted hit me up on a PM.

• I'm far from an expert, but I think I can explain a little. Because all we see and hear lies within a specific frequency range, it stands to reason that on other frequency ranges, other things are happening. I can say that I truly believe temporality to be an illusion, and that every moment happens simultaneously. I have a shitload of reading left to do, I'm just scratching the surface.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'm far from an expert, but I think I can explain a little. Because all we see and hear lies within a specific frequency range, it stands to reason that on other frequency ranges, other things are happening. I can say that I truly believe temporality to be an illusion, and that every moment happens simultaneously. I have a shitload of reading left to do, I'm just scratching the surface.

Perhaps there are other dimensions, but the mathematics behind it are so complex that it would be impossible for the human brain to even begin to comprehend it.

Kind of like Calculus.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Perhaps there are other dimensions, but the mathematics behind it are so complex that it would be impossible for the human brain to even begin to comprehend it.

Kind of like Calculus.

Now ponder that for awhile!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I'm far from an expert, but I think I can explain a little. Because all we see and hear lies within a specific frequency range, it stands to reason that on other frequency ranges, other things are happening. I can say that I truly believe temporality to be an illusion, and that every moment happens simultaneously. I have a shitload of reading left to do, I'm just scratching the surface.

Kind of like Calculus.

C'mon Grafwritah... what's so hard about...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    A (sort-of) good way of imagining other dimensions is to imagine less:

imagine that we lived in a 2D universe, like a sheet of paper. We could only move in the x and y directions, up and down, left and right, and that's all we knew. We're unaware of any concept of the third dimension, or up and down.

Now imagine that a sphere was going to intersect (by coming in on the z-axis, or from above) with our hypothetical 2D world. Obviously, since we can't look up, we wouldn't see it coming.

This intersection would be a very confusing event for us, in our 2D world, because what we'd see is first, a point appearing, then a widening circle, then a narrowing circle, then a point again, and then it would disappear. We can only see the parts of the sphere that intersect with our own 2D world.

It would seem like something appeared out of nowhere, got bigger, then disappeared. This would seem to violate the laws of our 2D world. However, what happened was really quite reasonable, had we the ability to see in 3D. Some similar things are being seen in particle physics these days, for example, people now believe that it's ok for a particle to appear out of nowhere, as long as it disappears again after a short time. Kind-of a conservation of energy in the longer term, if you will. Perhaps these are particles from another dimension intersecting with ours?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YO SON, LEMME HOLLER AT THE DERIVATIVE!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    A (sort-of) good way of imagining other dimensions is to imagine less:

imagine that we lived in a 2D universe, like a sheet of paper. We could only move in the x and y directions, up and down, left and right, and that's all we knew. We're unaware of any concept of the third dimension, or up and down.

Now imagine that a sphere was going to intersect (by coming in on the z-axis, or from above) with our hypothetical 2D world. Obviously, since we can't look up, we wouldn't see it coming.

This intersection would be a very confusing event for us, in our 2D world, because what we'd see is first, a point appearing, then a widening circle, then a narrowing circle, then a point again, and then it would disappear. We can only see the parts of the sphere that intersect with our own 2D world.

It would seem like something appeared out of nowhere, got bigger, then disappeared. This would seem to violate the laws of our 2D world. However, what happened was really quite reasonable, had we the ability to see in 3D. Some similar things are being seen in particle physics these days, for example, people now believe that it's ok for a particle to appear out of nowhere, as long as it disappears again after a short time. Kind-of a conservation of energy in the longer term, if you will. Perhaps these are particles from another dimension intersecting with ours?

...A world in which Mr. Damn jocks Daniella Wheeler...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Imagine a universe in which I have hair & possess all raers...A world in which Mr. Damn jocks Daniella Wheeler & Guzzo is a Neo Nazi...

h

catch me at the rallies with my lynching partner Dan Zacks.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

h

catch me at the rallies with my lynching partner Dan Zacks.

Hahaha. Can I come, too?

BTW, see you at the meeting - I'll bring the baby's blood this time!

Seriously, though, when are you coming to Montreal?

h

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Montreal has become my mortal enemy

I have planned this out twice and in that time had work pop up or work slip down.

When the finances are low Adam is low.

BTW I got that 0 calorie catholic baby dietary supplement. I now feel twice as jewish but with less guilt

• HAZ and anyone else...I have a 3 episode (1 hour each) PBS special on superstring theory narrated by Brain Greene, with great graphics to help understand concepts, that I'm willing to share. If anyone's intersted hit me up on a PM.

dude, I watched this! is this the nova program?

i thought it was pretty cool. i'll be in michi this weekend, i'd like to peep it again. holler.