Tech Help--> Lamelib Audio Encoder...

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
hi-had a problem getting this set up once before and can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. just installed Audacity 1.4 onto a Mac running OS 10.3.9i know that i need the Lamelib program to encode Audacity into MP3....but for some reason after downloading the Lamelib file off the freeshare sites... it doesn't seem to register or be recognized when i try to export an audacity project into MP3 format. It can't locate the Lamelib...can anyone walk me through this? i've been messing with it for too long and hopefully there's an easy answer.THANKS!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yo, did you try this:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

Mac OS 9 or X

1. Go to the LAME download page.
    2. Download either libmp3lame or the version of LameLib for your operating system.
    3. When you have finished downloading, use Stuffit Expander to extract the files. (This may happen automatically.)
    4. Save the file called "LameLib" or libmp3lame.dylib anywhere on your computer.
    5. The first time you use the "Export as MP3" command, Audacity will ask you where LameLib or libmp3lame.dylib is saved.

My guess is you might not have the Mac Lame file?

http://spaghetticode.org/lame/

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I hope that means you're setting up to record some music for me!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    dan- a friend bought me one of those numark usb turntables to be able to record music (finally). yes at some point i will most certainly send a cd!

mark... yes, of course i downloaded the file and followed the instructions and troubleshooting.... for some reason when i search for the lamelib file (that first time) it is grayed out and unable to be selected for encoding.

i managed to downloaded the 1.3.3 beta version of audacity and i was able to somehow export quite easily in this version but it is an unstable version and has already crashed a couple times...

if anyone has any clue how to navigate getting the lamelib set up w/ audacity 2.5 or 2.6, please give a shout. no idea why i can't get it to recognize the lamelib file- had someone else look at this a while back and they could figure it out (and they were tech-savvy unlike me).

Maybe you have to unarchive the lamelib file? Does it come packaged as a .sit?
    My friend is borrowing my mac otherwise I would give all of this a shot myself.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i've unarchived it.
    and i'm able to get to the file indicated in the forum help page (the one you referenced)... just can't get that to register when i do a search for the lamelib utility upon exporting the audacity project... it just remained greyed out.