your favorite era of a specific artist

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
The Who, '68-'70i'm listening to Live at Leeds and this album never stops sounding good to me. the extended cd version is even better than the initial lp release, makes me appreciate john entwistle's songwriting more. isle of wight, rock n roll circus, entwistle skeleton costume and townshend white jumpsuit/gibson sg combo - i think the who are untouchable during this time. super fun & idiosyncratic, heavy & tight, and even more respectable live than in the studio.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield, 70-72.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Live At Leeds is a great record, "Young Man Blues" always gets me amped up.

For me, Prince between 1982 and 1985 could do absolutely no wrong. Every project he worked on had great songs, and even the unreleased stuff puts most artists catalogs to shame.

• Live At Leeds is a great record, "Young Man Blues" always gets me amped up.

i always loved young man blues on live at leeds for that drilling, super Sabathy breakdown.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    --------- McDonald 79-83. Done.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here is mine, off-top:

-Stevie Wonder (1972-1976).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Curtis Mayfield, 70-72.

What he said.

• The Who, '68-'70

I have to agree here too. There's some Who stuff I like between 1971-1979, but not enough good stuff compared to what they did in the 60's, and especially '68-'70, but I give them '67 for The Who Sell Out[/b]. I just looked, and the album recently celebrated its 40th anniversary. The whole white jumpsuit era was good for Townshend, and that loose drum sound from Keith Moon was at its peak, which pretty much was gone after Live At Leeds[/b].

Earth, Wind & Fire between 1972-1975
    Chicago-'69-'74 (up to and including Chicago VIII)
    Charles Mingus-'73-79

With Mingus, I realize that he... well let's face it, Mingus never had a bad era. But the albums he released between Mingus At Carnegie Hall[/b] until his death in 1979 were just incredible, especially Cumbia & Jazz Fusion[/b] and Three Or Four Shades Of Blues[/b]. Jazz was moving in a lot of directions in 1974 and 1975 alone, but rather than conform to what everyone else was doing, he went his own way and it was distinct from everything else that was going on.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think Marvin Gaye is a tough one because he's got killer songs in three different decades. I can't decide.

• mariah circa butterfly album. i mean she was always girl next door hot like gingham among the daffodils music box time but goodness gracious she skeezered it up by butterfly showing hopeful signs in daydream and oh lord i think i lost it in her xmas video but yeah, by butterfly she was a fullblown hoochie. videos and music was on point.

as far as musically i still miss gospelly mariah with the dishmop hair and no fake boobies.

• 87-90.

peace, stein. . .

• - Rolling Stones, '64-'72
    They've done some good things since then (I even like their last album from two years ago!), but 1964-72 was their prime years, IMO

- Johnnie Taylor, '66-'75 (a/k/a the Stax years)
    JT was never bad (except for his disco/modern soul period on Columbia and Beverly Glen), but his evolutionary Stax era was my favorite, when he evolved from blues wailer to shake-ass soul singer to smooth balladeer in nine years

- Bill Withers, '71-'74 (when he was on Sussex)

- Dave Edmunds, '70-'82

- George Clinton/P-Funk, '69-'76
    They were good before and good since, but this is when they really hit their stride

- Flamin' Groovies, '70-'74 (before they got too poppish)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The Who, '68-'70

So true, I've been listening to "A Quick One" in the car a bunch lately.
    I heard the reason the Stones didn't release the Rock n Roll Circus until the 90's is they thought
    the Who blew them off the stage. That might be a bit paranoid of Mick and Keith but
    the Who sure were kicking ass and taking names.

• Sly & The Family Stone 1967-1971
    Isley Brothers 1969-1978
    Kool & The Gang 1969-1975
    Earth,Wind & Fire 1971-1978

I was thinking anything related to Parliament/Funkadelic,but that would be EVERY year,haha..

I do like material from all years from the artist i mentioned,but the years listed are the best to me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Micheal Jackson/The Jacksons - '76 to '80

• De La Soul- 1989-1996

• De La - '88 thru '96, but mostly '88 thru '94

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Cruyff. before he went to Barca.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Madonna- Truth or Dare years
    The Dead- 69-77
    McCartney- Post 67 Beatles
    Lennon- Pre 67 Beatles
    Spike Lee- the autobiographical era (stopping w. Crooklyn)
    Joe Walsh-James Gang
    Dan Fouts- Air Coryell (that shit was pure poetry)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Can: Tago Mago to Future Days

• Charles Mingus-'73-79

With Mingus, I realize that he... well let's face it, Mingus never had a bad era. But the albums he released between Mingus At Carnegie Hall[/b] until his death in 1979 were just incredible, especially Cumbia & Jazz Fusion[/b] and Three Or Four Shades Of Blues[/b]. Jazz was moving in a lot of directions in 1974 and 1975 alone, but rather than conform to what everyone else was doing, he went his own way and it was distinct from everything else that was going on.
    I hear ya, that era of his is highly underrated in my opinion. "Let My Children Hear Music"....wow.... But I'd have to say my favorite era of his was the early 60s.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'm going with the Kinks 66-71 they had an amazing run of stellar records:
    Face To Face
    Something Else by the Kinks
    The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society
    Arthur or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire
    Lola versus the Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part 1
    Percy OST
    Muswell Hillbillies

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    De La - '88 thru '96, but mostly '88 thru '94

not to pick on u in particular, just needed an example, but ... conventional wisdom much?

• Cruyff. before he went to Barca.

• De La - '88 thru '96, but mostly '88 thru '94

not to pick on u in particular, just needed an example, but ... conventional wisdom much?

very much so.

I like those 3 albums.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For me, Prince between 1982 and 1985 could do absolutely no wrong. Every project he worked on had great songs, and even the unreleased stuff puts most artists catalogs to shame.

1999/Purple Rain/Around The World In A Day '82-'85 vs.

For You/Prince/Dirty Mind/Controversy '78-'81 vs.

Parade/Sign 'o The Times/LoveSexy/Batman '86-'89

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The RZA '92-'97.
    I'm scared to listen to his recent music.

• Sabbath, 1968 thru 1975.

• Sabbath, 1968 thru 1975.

ok, while ill admit im not much of a sabbath fan...i didnt know they were making records as early as '68. wasnt their first lp from 1970?

• snosno 332 Posts
    Miles Davis 1968-1972

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Sabbath, 1968 thru 1975.

Cosign on this, I'll add Black Flag 1978-1984. They had some good songs after the "My War"/"Slip it In" period, but the production on the records just suck the life out the music. But everything else? Purely devastating, especially the "1982 Demos" with Chuck Biscuits.