McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
So this is probably one of my first modal jazz albums I've bought. I really like it. I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces. So the question I got is, what other albums do you recommend along this line?Also, the notes on the backcover by Leonard Feather are great. I just did a quick google search and noticed that the guy wrote thousands of liner notes for jazz musicians. He's also written several books. Can anyone recommend any of these?

Comments

• There's modal jazz all over most of late 60s Blue Note releases. If you like McCoy Tyner, there's no paucity of that as he recorded prolificaliciously. For Miles, required listening is ESP, Nefertiti, Miles Smiles, The Sorceror. That's probabl the best modal jazz ever recorded.

• Leonard Feather

he also recorded 2 albums on mainstream under the moniker "night bloomin' jazzmen" (w/paul humphrey, charles kynard, blue mitchell, et al) and i think he has penned a few standards that can be found in the one of the new real books...

go to your local library and check and see if they have old bound versions of downbeat from the 60's and 70's if you want to read an array of his reviews, interviews, and best of all the blindfold tests.

• So this is probably one of my first modal jazz albums I've bought. I really like it. I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces. So the question I got is, what other albums do you recommend along this line?

Also, the notes on the backcover by Leonard Feather are great. I just did a quick google search and noticed that the guy wrote thousands of liner notes for jazz musicians. He's also written several books. Can anyone recommend any of these?

Killer record! Great large ensemble.
    I particularly like the track Man from Tanganyka.

Anything on Blue Note from the mid 60's is worth checking out.

• Leonard Feather

he also recorded 2 albums on mainstream under the moniker "night bloomin' jazzmen" (w/paul humphrey, charles kynard, blue mitchell, et al) and i think he has penned a few standards that can be found in the one of the new real books...

go to your local library and check and see if they have old bound versions of downbeat from the 60's and 70's if you want to read an array of his reviews, interviews, and best of all the blindfold tests.

Leonard Feather was as legendary in jazz writing as Lester Bangs was for rock, so you should have no trouble tracking down the books (if not the original Down Beats, which nine times out of ten can be found in some library somewhere).

• Tender Moments is a great record, I also recommend checking out Extensions by Mccoy Tyner (it looks like a National Geographic cover).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces.

I don't understand this. Are you like waiting to find deep groove Prestige and black label Atlantic pressings just to hear what Miles and Coltrane sound like? I mean, you can find "vintage" pressings everywhere... I don't think these records have ever even gone out of print.

• I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces.

I don't understand this. Are you like waiting to find deep groove Prestige and black label Atlantic pressings just to hear what Miles and Coltrane sound like? I mean, you can find "vintage" pressings everywhere... I don't think these records have ever even gone out of print.

This is the one thug nasty you are trying to reason with.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is one to look for, usually cheap because people fail to listen to it because it looks like a reissue, but one of my favorites of Tyner's. Top shelf.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces.

I want to listen to close-to-OG or OG the first time around, to get the full experience. I mean let's be honest, who wants to listen to sax blaring out their computer speakers or hearing a sterile-ass repress. If it's a money issue to get these things, I'm willing to wait around. In the mean time, there's plenty of other readily available records to enjoy in their original format.

And yes, I'm going to have to go to the library to find some writings of Leonard Feather.

• So this is probably one of my first modal jazz albums I've bought. I really like it. I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces. So the question I got is, what other albums do you recommend along this line?

Also, the notes on the backcover by Leonard Feather are great. I just did a quick google search and noticed that the guy wrote thousands of liner notes for jazz musicians. He's also written several books. Can anyone recommend any of these?

There's a great/similar Hank Mobley session 'A Slice of the Top' (I think it was a Conoisseur Series ish), with a lot of the same players.

• I would prefer to delve into Miles and Coltrane through OG presses, so I haven't really listened to much of them aside from "A Love Supreme" and a few pieces.

I want to listen to close-to-OG or OG the first time around, to get the full experience. I mean let's be honest, who wants to listen to sax blaring out their computer speakers or hearing a sterile-ass repress. If it's a money issue to get these things, I'm willing to wait around. In the mean time, there's plenty of other readily available records to enjoy in their original format.

Dude you're not going to just stumble upon original Coltranes. Buy a 70s issue or at least a 60s stereo. This is the most backwards shit I've read in a while.

Dude you're not going to just stumble upon original Coltranes. Buy a 70s issue or at least a 60s stereo. This is the most backwards shit I've read in a while.

a 60s or 70s repress is nice. i would settle for that. but like i said, i'm not in a hurry to listen to them. backwards?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Sayin'

b/w

Leonard Feather is a bitch. (Coltrane/Dolphy = "anti-jazz")

Lol. I don't think young Hug Nasty is understanding that there are probably yearly issues of those albums for the first 5-10 or so years after the original release.

A whole collection of clean OG mono Trane and Miles shit would be mega-baller though.

• I still have not heard winelight, but I hope to find an OG soon. I feel a repress would diminish the power of Grover. If anyone has M+ copy holla.

I agree, there really is no point in hearing music unless you get The Full Experience™. So unless you were at the Vanguard in '61, I recommend you steer clear of Coltrane altogether.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I agree, there really is no point in hearing music unless you get The Full Experience???. So unless you were at the Vanguard in '61, I recommend you steer clear of Coltrane altogether.

but like i said, i'm not in a hurry to listen to them.

you should[/b] hurry up and listen to something like Ole or Nefertiti. i don't give fuck if you check the CD out from the public library.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Haha yeah...finding OG microgroove pressings of music that has been collectible since it came out on a legendary label? And trying to find the one you want out there? I've bought two in the past year and consider myself lucky, and one of them was growing things on the cover.

You're going to be waiting for decades for that to happen. Buy some represses, some CDs, find your favorite titles and save up for the OGs.

but like i said, i'm not in a hurry to listen to them.

you should[/b] hurry up and listen to something like Ole or Nefertiti. i don't give fuck if you check the CD out from the public library.

i probably should.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Full Experience???

graemlin, plaese

Hey Baldy,

I don't remember the last time you created a worthwhile thread.

Hey Baldy,

Are you talking to faux or the whole board? I think about 85% of strutters are bald.

Hey Baldy,

Are you talking to Daniel or the whole board? I think about 85% of strutters are bald.

haha.

Back on topic plaese.

I feel you though, I've personally never opened an art history book because I don't want to cheapen the full experience??? of viewing the Sistine Chapel in person one day.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I feel you though, I've personally never opened an art history book because I don't want to cheapen the full experience??? of viewing the Sistine Chapel in person one day.

For my part, I've lately cut back on my posting because I don't want to cheapen the Full Experience??? of one day meeting all you vibrant and scintillating personalities.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I try not to even open my eyes in the morning for fear of ruining what one day will be a mind-boggling and mesmerizing FULL EXPERIENCE. Makes driving a real bitch.

For my part, I've lately cut back on my posting because I don't want to cheapen the Full Experience??? of one day meeting all you vibrant and scintillating personalities.

Good call. Meeting Grandpa Shig in person was like Imax vs. a second generation VHS dub.