Mingus' The Black Saint the Sinner Lady Question

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I've always wondered about this - Mingus is credited to playing piano in addition to the obvious bass on the session, but also credited on piano is Jaki Byard. I'm not very famliar with Byard's work, and was wondering if anyone knew which tracks he's playing piano on, and which ones Mingus played on. Particularly the opening solo on "Track C - Group Dancers". Absolutely beautiful!

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I don't know these details, but I've coincidentally been listening to that record this week.

• I read somewhere that that's Mingus playing on C. You should compare the playing style with the Mingus Plays Piano solo record, shouldn't be to hard to call it.

• I read somewhere that that's Mingus playing on C. You should compare the playing style with the Mingus Plays Piano solo record, shouldn't be to hard to call it.
    Yeah that's actually why I thought it was Mingus playing the solo, based on that solo piano LP he has and the similarity in style. I'm just really unfamiliar with Byard's work (recommendations anyone?), and didn't want to assume just yet...

• I'm just really unfamiliar with Byard's work (recommendations anyone?), and didn't want to assume just yet...

yeah dude, plaese to :get familiar:. Byard is one of the piano greats, I'd put him in the top 5 or 10 of his generation. So incredible, and on a conceptual level too. very distinctive style(s). Also a bit underrated in my opinion. check him on:

Mingus dates, especially live ones, especially when both Jaki and Dolphy were in the band
    his own LPs- my favorites are probably Here's Jaki, and The Jaki Byard Experience (both on Prestige. plaese OG copies only, lol)
    Roland Kirk- Rip Rig and Panic
    Sam Rivers- Fuschia Swing Song

:soooooo necessary: