Boot Camp - running PC on MAC - how it do?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I've been debating getting one of the new Mac Powerbooks. However it is imperative that Im still able to use PC only programs (ie: AutoCAD and Viz). I have heard that it is possible to run Windows on a Mac via a progam called bootcamp. Has anyone done this? pros cons?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I prefer to use parallels

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I prefer to use parallels

I knew about that one, but heard that it was sluggish at times, true?
    And isnt it intended with 'older' MACs which have non-intel processors? please humor me, Im .

• I prefer to use parallels

I knew about that one, but heard that it was sluggish at times, true?
    And isnt it intended with 'older' MACs which have non-intel processors? please humor me, Im .

No, that's VPC. Parallels is way snappy. It runs straight off the processor but os x is still running so you don't get the full power that way. Bootcamp is like running Windows straight on your mac. OSX has a utility to set it up.

• I'm running XP with Bootcamp on my MB Pro. I love OSX, but I still use XP on a daily basis and it's perfectly stable (as stable as XP gets, anyway) and runs just as fast as you'd expect a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo to run.

Has anybody had any luck getting Parallels to recognize their Bootcamp partition?
    I messed around with it a few months ago but couldn't get it working.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    yeah i run xp on my macbook. works fine, dont notice a thing except the lack of a right click on the touchpad.